• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV tires

FobyFo247

I have seen people running the 36" HMMWV tire on their CUCVs. how do these tire do off-road? snow? sand? mud? i am thinking of gettin a set for my M1008 when i get it. its gonna be pretty much a wheelin rig and work truck. these tires seem to be pretty cheap on ebay and such.

M1075

I have had great success with the bias tires in an off-road application on a M1008. They have great traction and seem to be nearly puncture resistant on sharp rocks. I also have a set of the radials and plan to put those on another M1008 for more on-road driving. Maybe then I can give more details comparison. If E22 is right, I'm going to be really pleased with the radials!

IRWFO

The bias tires ware very fast with on road driving and they are noisy. On the good side, excellent traction, very tough, look great, cheap. Sure the radials would be better off-roading but considering I get 4 new bias tires for the price of one radial I'll stick with the bias.

M1075

maddawg308 said:
Would the 36" or 37" HMMWV tires fit on the M880 series?
Everything can "fit", but a few modifications may be required. Just see the post with the Dodge Ram Charger and 16.00s! :lol:

AJMBLAZER

emmado22 said:
The hummer bias tires really suck compared to the radials....
Just wondering where you're getting that from?

When I was in the Marines the radials had the worse reputation. They were nicer on road but that was about it. They have notorious issues stemming from thin sidewalls. The MT guys blew out a sidewall on one of our HMMWV's when they rubbed up against a big piece of HE equipment's rim. Nothing sharp or pointy, just unyielding metal and the thing just ripped right open.

The bias-ply are not as road friendly but definitely the better offroad tire. The radial was a compromise tire hoping to make the HMMWV a bit more street friendly. It only mildly succeeded.

That said, the bias ply 36x12.5-16.5 Goodyear Wrangler RT/II's aren't the last word in offroad capability. A similar size Interco Super Swamper TSL will walk all over a RT/II any day. However for the price you can't complain. I've seen surplus sets of 4 for sale for under $450 delivered with good tread.
I wouldn't pass up a good deal on true offroad tires (Swampers, etc) but when I wear these out another set is high on the list.

dilvoy

The Goodyear tire as used on the HMMWV has been upgraded in the side wall area. THis has been the case since Jan 03. The Interco Super Swamper tire has been purchased on the unit level and has had problems. TACOM tested them in sizes Bias 36x12.5x16.5 Part number SAM 65, Bias 38x12.5x16.5 Part number SAM 68 and Radial 37x12.5x16.5 Part Number SSR45R and they were found not acceptable. TACOM dissaproved the Super seamper in the above stated sizes for use on any HMMWV platform. In fact TACOM stated that the improved Goodyear tire is better than the Super Swamper in terms of durability, puncture resistance and load capacity. They even sent out a notice demanding quantity of the Super Swampers in inventory and to remove any super swampers from HMMWV's and after 30 days of this notice, any vehicle having Super Swamper tires installed, would be considered non mission capable. TACOM Control number SOUM 04-017 2004/06/28 "Technical" item affected: Super Swamper Tire MFG Interco.

CCATLETT1984

the reason for not allowing the swampers, is mainly do to the weight of the humvee. the swampers are only a Class C or D rated tire. That is not near what is needed for a humvee, let alone one that has be up-armored.

AJMBLAZER

dilvoy said:
The Goodyear tire as used on the HMMWV has been upgraded in the side wall area. THis has been the case since Jan 03. The Interco Super Swamper tire has been purchased on the unit level and has had problems. TACOM tested them in sizes Bias 36x12.5x16.5 Part number SAM 65, Bias 38x12.5x16.5 Part number SAM 68 and Radial 37x12.5x16.5 Part Number SSR45R and they were found not acceptable. TACOM dissaproved the Super seamper in the above stated sizes for use on any HMMWV platform. In fact TACOM stated that the improved Goodyear tire is better than the Super Swamper in terms of durability, puncture resistance and load capacity. They even sent out a notice demanding quantity of the Super Swampers in inventory and to remove any super swampers from HMMWV's and after 30 days of this notice, any vehicle having Super Swamper tires installed, would be considered non mission capable. TACOM Control number SOUM 04-017 2004/06/28 "Technical" item affected: Super Swamper Tire MFG Interco.
Wonder if that's why, even with the war going on, you can still get screaming deals on the RT/II's. Getting rid of the old spec ones perhaps?

I know my RT/II's are load range C but what did they bump the newer ones up to?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the RT II's are being phased out. All the humvee rebuilds get the radials. easier to stock 1 rim, tire and O ring than 2 in the supply system..

FobyFo247

IRWFO, thats a real good price for a set on new tires. once i get my M1008 i think im going to get those. i was thinking of those tires on a set of the HMMWV beadlocks. what do u guys think of this set up? again this is gonna be a wheelin rig so i dont care if the ride is rough out what not.

JoshC

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FobyFo247 said:
IRWFO, thats a real good price for a set on new tires. once i get my M1008 i think im going to get those. i was thinking of those tires on a set of the HMMWV beadlocks. what do u guys think of this set up? again this is gonna be a wheelin rig so i dont care if the ride is rough out what not.
I have HMMWV wheels on my M1008 - looks good but took a little modification. Wheel Spacers, rear disc brakes and fenders that rub the 36" at stock height during a turn. I am thinking of 1" zero rate spring adders but really do not want to lift the truck...

On of those 100% feedbacks fot that guy belong to me. :D fast shipper.

AJMBLAZER

One inch of lift would likely only help put the front springs closer to where they sat when new. 20 years of holding up a 950lb diesel have made most of these sag.

Use the zero rate to space the axle forwards an inch. The front axles in 73-87(91) GM fullsizes are actually about an inch towards the rear of the wheel wells. Centering them can eliminate a LOT of rubbing/trimming.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks