• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV's for sale, no longer maybe, it happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triple C

I would be surprised if they EVER sell for much less than $5,000 and it will be interesting to see what impact they have on the hobby. My guess is, there are a lot folk that are interested in them that would never buy a bigger vehicle and don't want to work on real old stuff. The perception being promoted on the internet is just buy one and drive anywhere you want to go. I haven't read anything about their age or what maintenance would require. Looks to me like a whole new category of "collectors" are about to enter the game, much like after WWII and the "Jeeps" became available. Seems like every farmer in the Midwest suddenly needed one. The up side is, could be really good for the hobby, a lot of that will depend on us.

Blackmagic94

i was told lastnight by my armored door source that he has an exclusive to buy the remaining M998s that were not in this round, these trucks that were auctioned first were the cleanest of the bunch and all running, the next batch will be non operational for one reason or another and he is buying a lot sum before auction as well. There is not 4000 trucks going to civi hands, 99% of them are getting the chop by an Aussie contracted company as they are uparmored and not for civi hands.

Also to the people bitching about the pricing, you cannot compare your price of your titled 1985 truck to a 1994, there is a value difference, those 85 trucks havent seen Mil PM work siince 1993, while these new bunch trucks were in PM status up to this year.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It is my understanding the military has been selling them off in Europe for some time and they bring over 30k there consistently. I would buy a nice Unimog before I spent that kind of money on a humvee.

Speedwoble

Glad to see other guys paying all the money---I was at the Atlanta Humvee sale years ago--Live at the Bishop Brothers Auction--as is-where is--runners doing 20k plus--------non-runners doing $16800 ( my purchase ) to $20k------Guys always seem to pay more at auction then they would pay on the street---
Just for kicks, I looked at the US inflation rate calculator: http://inflationdata.com/Inflation/Inflation_Calculators/Inflation_Rate_Calculator.asp
$20K in 1999 would be equivalent to $28K today
And if $20K were invested in the S&P 500 in 1999, it would be $30423(Again corrected for inflation) today. http://dqydj.net/sp-500-return-calculator/

So the lesson is, buy hummers? Like anyone needs justification for their hobby.

I am sure with continuing auctions, the rates will change.

humslr

I guess that makes my Turbo/Overdrive body off restorations worth more than I'm selling them for.
And they come with titles!!!
We just completed a m998-body off-new engine (6.2) all new stuff, I was planning to sell it for $35k, now I'm rethinking it, should be worth $45k now!
Blair~

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I know you're joking about it, but fair warning to others, this will not be the place (SS) to talk about circumventing legal agreements and laws.
Looks like I'm going to have to make a new rule. I even had someone PM me asking how to do this.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen vehicles that are scheduled for turn in... Once they are deemed for turn in, no one does PM on them anymore. Or if they SAID they did PM on it, that's ALL they did.. No one cares about PM'ing a vehicle that's headed for turn in. Heck, I may of even ordered it done myself back I the day.... I'll put my '85 M998 up against any of the just auctioned off ones as far as being better maintained... I know quality or lack there of on military PM. It's a crap shoot. Either it was great, or it sucked. It all depends on the unit and funding.. But I know the quality of my PM's.

Last edited:

3dAngus

Then too, we need keep in mind, our MVs are no longer in a war, no longer in training mode by unskilled drivers taking them offroad, taking them through the deepest water, thickest mud, worst sand, in heat, in fridgid artic cold, in the worst possible conditions in the world.
Theres probably something to be said for that.
(Georgia Rally not included):beer:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I was reading that I thought to myself Dell has been to the Georgia Rally, what is he thinking.

Then I saw the end.

:)

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Really no telling on your EUC process time as I don't think anyone on here has posted about one that has gone through GP. I put one in last Thursday through GL and just got message today that it is ready to go DLA that usually takes me about 2 weeks more before approved as I have bought other item that needed one in the last year. If you have never had an EUC approved before from DLA it has on the rare occasion taken months. Sometimes it's faster for a Biz but if an individual and your driver license doesn't match you home address or if you use a PO box it can really slow things down. 2cents

Last edited:
i was told lastnight by my armored door source that he has an exclusive to buy the remaining M998s that were not in this round, these trucks that were auctioned first were the cleanest of the bunch and all running, the next batch will be non operational for one reason or another and he is buying a lot sum before auction as well. There is not 4000 trucks going to civi hands, 99% of them are getting the chop by an Aussie contracted company as they are uparmored and not for civi hands.

Also to the people bitching about the pricing, you cannot compare your price of your titled 1985 truck to a 1994, there is a value difference, those 85 trucks havent seen Mil PM work siince 1993, while these new bunch trucks were in PM status up to this year.
I think I have taken better care of mine that the military would have. I sometimes even give it a kiss goodnight. And, it has various pieces of armor I have collected....oh yeah....and a 6.5 turbo diesel and 4l80e with a good Virginia State title. It's just my opinion, but unless you have a title, the resale value will be much less than one with a good state title. I have owned a total of 5 and kept one. The 1st question every single potential buyer asks is if the truck comes with a title. I have been through the titling process with the correct SF97 forms and its still painful. Look on here and G503 and see how many threads there are on people jumping through hoops to get that piece of paper. By no means I am wishing you bad luck, I have just been through it all...good luck with your Humvee adventures and I hope you end up on top. FYI...my truck is titled as 1984 with all OEM military drive train from 1998 and 2002, 12k shafts. I get to put antique plates on it =).

Last edited:

Powershift

Why did some of the trucks which claimed to be newer still have the older 6.2?

WannaHEMTT

Long-time lurker here. Good evening, all.
FYI, there is no suggestion of a LAW being circumvented anywhere, in fact the issue is strict adherence to federal and state law. Being a conglomeration of 50 different states with 50 different sets of rules regarding licensing and titling, the LAWS regarding licensing and registration are complex and inconsistent. The Hold Harmless agreement is a liability avoidance mechanism and the section about "off road use" is both present tense and non-binding because we are that conglomeration of states. After all, there are registered and licensed hummers out there, and these are no different.
I ain't a lawyer. But I'm reasonably well read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks