• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Holden MTO 20

chrisross

I picked up a Holden MTO 20 on GP recently. I'd love to be able to use it with the MTVR and an F350 but of course air brakes. I'm curious what you would do.

MAdams

They have a ton of tongue weight even when they are empty, too much for a pickup truck. You'd be okay moving it around at slow speed but 11k lbs without brakes would be scary

chrisross

well i'm more thinking about threads like the one where the guy creates an air compressor for the brakes. is there any solution aside from converting the brakes?

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
well i'm more thinking about threads like the one where the guy creates an air compressor for the brakes. is there any solution aside from converting the brakes?
When I drop my MTO20 trailer on the pintle of my M923A0, the back end drops 2" and the front bumper rises 1". That's with a completely empty trailer on a 5 ton truck, with an extra 1000 lbs of custom bumper and other stuff hanging off the front acting as counterweight. You're completely underestimating the tongue weight of these trailers. The trailer tows very heavy empty due to the tongue weight even behind a 5 ton. Not to mention the 3'+ lunnette height, the trailer will be extremely nose down making everything worse.

The only place an F350 belongs around these trailers is strapped to the deck. There's no sane solution to tow this with an F350. Moving it from one spot to another on your property...maybe. Moving it on a public road...not a chance in hell. Everything about this trailer being behind an F350 is all wrong.

The M322 trailers were designed to be towed behind the MTVR. You're completely fine there. You should stick with that plan.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To get it to tow properly behind an F350 you'd need to move the trailer axles forward quite a bit in order to balance out the load. Add to that a trailer brake conversion. Then add to those the fact that the bumper hitch tow rating of the F350 is lower than the weight of the trailer empty, you couldn't actually haul anything on the trailer after doing all of that work.

The brochure for the trailer says it's designed for 7 ton and other prime movers, so even the 5 ton is considered too small to be used with this trailer (you can do it, but as others have said, that's a LOT of tongue weight)

The ONLY way I'd put this behind an F350 is if it was converted over to use a gooseneck hitch, there is no other safe/sane way to hook it up considering the weight.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
it has 1 ton of tongue weight empty. They pull well behind any 5 ton or 7ton with the 385 or 425 tires. That was the purpose. Heavy trailer with ground clearance that rolls easy. 48in deck height rules out most equipment for it.

I've towed one of the M322 variants of the EET trailers more miles than anyone on this planet. your pickup truck isn't designed for it. Leave the 4 wheeler at home.

The trailer will lift your f350 off the ground during hard braking. It will push it into a skid. Trailer has ABS for a reason. Empty they won't stop on a bumpy road without abs. They just bounce. The rear tires will come off the ground when hitting some bridges. Even with a D6 dozer on it. They will roll over easy when braking as well. Ive done it..... twice. They do roll back over easy though with no damage happening from it..

Put it behind your MTVR and leave it.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To get it to tow properly behind an F350 you'd need to move the trailer axles forward quite a bit in order to balance out the load. Add to that a trailer brake conversion. Then add to those the fact that the bumper hitch tow rating of the F350 is lower than the weight of the trailer empty, you couldn't actually haul anything on the trailer after doing all of that work.

The brochure for the trailer says it's designed for 7 ton and other prime movers, so even the 5 ton is considered too small to be used with this trailer (you can do it, but as others have said, that's a LOT of tongue weight)

The ONLY way I'd put this behind an F350 is if it was converted over to use a gooseneck hitch, there is no other safe/sane way to hook it up considering the weight.
They are perfectly suited for a 5 ton. It specifies 7 ton because they are a Marine speciality trailer. The 5 tons were already being phased out and the MTVRs coming in. Holden even made a lunette extension to make it work with the 5 tons that were still in service. The bumperettes caused turning radius issues. The military had Holden design them but never placed an order. I probably have the only one in existence on my trailer because I had Holden make it to order for me.
Damn forum keeps posting before I'm finished typing.

Screenshot_2020-09-01-01-11-01.png

Last edited:

chrisross

Thank you guys for the informative and also entertaining replies. I am honestly just stupid and didn't realize this trailer weighed 11k when I first bid on it, until I downloaded the manual from here. But at least I have an MTVR to match up with it...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks