• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Holy CRAP... axle U bolts

southdave

IMG_20140927_082518960[1].jpg
Was under the truck yesterday and found this. I order new parts this morning. Tried to find the thread that someone posted a couple years ago about the same thing. just wanted to give a heads up check your suspension.

Drock

Mine aren't that bad but I would like to replace them anyway. Were did you find the parts? and what are the part numbers?

barefootin

Pretty common issue even on older civi trucks. I looked at a 94 K2500 two weeks ago for my brother that were all but rusted through... They were literally thinner than a led pencil...

DanDan

I inspect trucks as part of my duties and Ubolts are often overlooked by drivers during their pretrip inspections. It is considered a major defect and puts the truck out of service with possible charges. Just sayin'...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:whistle:Just throw some paint on it and stop worrying.

wdbtchr

Pretty common issue even on older civi trucks. I looked at a 94 K2500 two weeks ago for my brother that were all but rusted through... They were literally thinner than a led pencil...
See the peeve thread, There is no such thing as a LEAD pencil, they're graphite. I'm so bad, but I've seen a lot of u-bolts rusted that bad.

ke5eua

See the peeve thread, There is no such thing as a LEAD pencil, they're graphite. I'm so bad, but I've seen a lot of u-bolts rusted that bad.
In the 16th century, a large deposit of pure, solid graphite was discovered in Borrowdale, England. This was the first time in recorded history that high quality, solid graphite had been found. When metallurgists first encountered this substance, they thought it was some sort of black lead, rather than a form of carbon. Thus, they called it “plumbago”, which is derived from “plumbum”, which is Latin for “lead”.

MarcusOReallyus

Agreed, but... He didn't say LEAD pencil. He said LED pencil.

Reading is fundamental! :mrgreen:

(So is spelling.;))

fitz

I went to the link for Off Road Design that Sharecropper posted. The website says that this kit will not work on a 1 ton truck unless you have a lift kit on the truck. They claim that this set up will interfere with the frame. I looked at my M1028 and it didn't look like it would be an issue. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

goldneagle

I went to the link for Off Road Design that Sharecropper posted. The website says that this kit will not work on a 1 ton truck unless you have a lift kit on the truck. They claim that this set up will interfere with the frame. I looked at my M1028 and it didn't look like it would be an issue. Any thoughts on this?
The suspension on the M1008 is not a pure K-30. I had issues with using a lift kit for the K-30 because the parts did not match the axles on the truck. Had to order square U-bolts for the rear since the kit had round ones. I guess I can use the round ones if I get those spring plates.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a clearance issue if everything is stock.

Dave, wait until you take them off and see how deep the pits are in the housing. The walls are very thick so it should be OK but it really pits up!

Keith_J

Guess these could be cold galvanized. Normal hot dip will draw B7 bolting as it is too hot. Thanks for showing me another issue I will have do deal with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks