• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Homemade centrifuge

glassk

The guy next door has never mentioned anything, tht's his way of fishing, that I didn't have . saw PLC thread and while looking around surprized atwhat i do have ,

plc.jpg

Offered somebody in WTB section a tent wall for $1 for the command post 11 x 11

dikwks

The rotor is 11" in diameter. The spin is 3450 RPM. Sheaves on motor and shaft are the same size. Works out to about 2000g. Left a belt in there for allow some slip during start-up.

dikwks

o1951, thanks for trying. I did like your numbers better. I came up with the 1853 number as well. Funny thing is, a couple of weeks ago, I found a formula on some website and came up with just over 2000g. I saved it on my desktop at work. Unfortunately, I am still out with the knee and don't have access at the moment. Either way, the thing seems to work. I'm good.

tobyS

O1951 plugged diameter into the formula, I got 1858 using 13.97cm radius.

If it works and doesn't shake itself to pieces, nothing else matters.

dikwks

I don't know how I managed to miss that thread. That set up is way cool. Maybe further on down the line, I can get myself set up that well. I thought the bowl was one of the bought ones until I saw in your original thread that you had made it up. It looks very smooth. See, I told everybody I need a lathe and a tig setup! Congratulations on an excellent build. Two years after, how is everything holding up?

dikwks

Not sure to whom the request is directed. Don't think it's me, but if you need pix of my stuff, we're S.O.L. I'm out of town for another couple of months. Would be interested in seeing some pictures of your set-up though. Mine shook like a big dog until i got the idea of mounting the sleeve INSIDE the bowl. It reduced the amount of swing as it turned and moved the weight closer to the bearings supporting it. Still a little shaky, but nowhere near as bad.

Ranto

Not sure to whom the request is directed. Don't think it's me, but if you need pix of my stuff, we're S.O.L. I'm out of town for another couple of months. Would be interested in seeing some pictures of your set-up though. Mine shook like a big dog until i got the idea of mounting the sleeve INSIDE the bowl. It reduced the amount of swing as it turned and moved the weight closer to the bearings supporting it. Still a little shaky, but nowhere near as bad.
The msg was dedicated to glassk but I made mistake on sending the post. Nevertheless all information that could help me to solve the vibration problem on my setup are welcome.
Thanks for replying dikwks

Ranto

Centramatic wheel balancers install behind the wheel. Once installed, centrifugal force causes the shot and oil filled aluminum balancing ring to automatically balance the tire and wheel as you drive down the road.
Wheel Balancer Function

The free moving hardened lead alloy shot is bathed in a propietary synthetic oil. This two part combination moves automatically to the side opposite of the heavy points in the wheel assembly. The automatic function of these balancers can even compensate for mud, snow, and ice build up with the ability to correct front wheels that are up to 16 ounces out of balance and rear wheels up to 26 ounces.

I was thinking of a tube around the bowl filled with shot, of course if you had a lathe, you could build it in the coupling and then true the end and have stand by bowls for the kids to clean up
Could you please send me a photo of your setup especially your balancer ?

Ranto

Re balancing

Message was directed to glassk but I made mistake when sending the post. Nevertheless thanks for answering. Pics of my setup to follow soon.

Ranto

glassk, the link has one of the balancers like I make and use in the second photo. I calculated the rim speed of your examples and the 3450 rpm with 8" is 120.4 ft/second and the second, 6000 rpm is 209 ft/second. That will give something to compare to.

dikwks, how many rpm is your shaft, taking into account the motor and pulley ratio and what diameter is it? It appears to be about 14" in your photo. How did you determine your going at 2000G? That seems very high if you haven't balanced it.

As far as marking it with a marker and taking materials away thinking you are balancing it based on eliminating run-out, well, it better be low rpm.

Could you please send me pics of your balancer ? I really need to balance my torque converter, it is shaking too much. Thanks in advance

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks