• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Homemade trailer. Lunette ring is too small

allgonoshow

I built a homemade trailer to pull behind my duece around the ranch. I bought a 4 bolt 35,000 lb lunette ring from "The hitch store". I finally got the trailer done this weekend and when I went to hook it up, the pintle on my duece was too big for the lunette ring. I looked and could not find any other lunette rings that heavy duty that had different sizes. Am I just not looking hard enough? It looks like it would fit with just a little grinding. I dont have any experience with pintle hitch/lunette rings, how tight are they supposed to fit? I am thinking I could just take a carbide bit in my die grinder and take a little off of the lunette ring. What do you guys think?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should not fit tight. A 3" ID pintle ring should fit.

allgonoshow

It is nothing special, I built it from mid 70's IH grain truck. Pretty much a big "pickup box" trailer that was reinforced with 1/2'' steel. I will try to get pics for you guys. Oh and I will be painting it OD when I get the time.:D

allgonoshow

I have done some searching online and I still cant find a lunette ring with 3'' ID with the 4 bolt hole attachment. I have found some 3'' rings but they are the 2 bolts through the channel iron mount. I already have the trailer made for the 4 bolt mount. So I guess my options now are to do some grinding. My buddy is using my digital camera right now so it may be a few days before I can get some pics but I will asap.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is nothing special, I built it from mid 70's IH grain truck. Pretty much a big "pickup box" trailer that was reinforced with 1/2'' steel. I will try to get pics for you guys. Oh and I will be painting it OD when I get the time.:D
Still, nopics

I picked up two M105 trailers at Redstone last week for the sole purpose of the axles. I've got a few homemade trailer plans in the works myself. I've pretty much gathered all the steel I need and all I needed was a couple of axles. After pricing new axles, I figured I couldn't go wrong with a couple of cheap M105s.