• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How are we going to get an M105 off our car trailer? No Problem!

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that's handy.
Is it a pettibone? 30T?
It's an old Galion 150A, 15 ton. I've got most of the leaks repaired (was testing the outriggers, just resealed all four). There is still a leak in the boom crowd cylinders (those may beyond my capabilities) and a shaft seal on the Detroit diesel (453N). I was hoping not to have to pull the engine.

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been working on this crane for the past 3 years, rebuilt from top to bottom (even ran into Gimp on another forum!). I have some small things left, a re-repair on a hydraulic manifold seal, but all in all.....just about there! I needed some weight to lock in the cable wedge into the block, so lifted the front of my M817 for weight. Using a surplus dynamometer, it came in at 8,000 Lbs lifting the front wheels about 1 foot off the ground. The pictures were taken at twilight, so a bit crappy, but thought this was a great place to show before and after on a big boy toy......the stuff we all love.

Platform.jpg

IMG_3164.jpg

IMG_3165.JPG

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ha! I am EVERYWHERE

Sweet progress, I wish I were that far on mine. I just today got "shut down" on a parts 5005h crane.

FloridaAKM

Nice way to unload the M105, now how did you set it down without crunching something? I used to work for a small family business which had a Pettibone 15 ton crane; that crane was used for everything imaginable. Wish it was still around today to move stuff around the yard!

drivebymashing

I bet it wouldnt hurt it to sit it down on the tailgate. If I had a crane I would try it and see. Maybe he could swing it around really fast and then release it so it will land on the wheels.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks