• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How are we going to get an M105 off our car trailer? No Problem!

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that's handy.
Is it a pettibone? 30T?
It's an old Galion 150A, 15 ton. I've got most of the leaks repaired (was testing the outriggers, just resealed all four). There is still a leak in the boom crowd cylinders (those may beyond my capabilities) and a shaft seal on the Detroit diesel (453N). I was hoping not to have to pull the engine.

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been working on this crane for the past 3 years, rebuilt from top to bottom (even ran into Gimp on another forum!). I have some small things left, a re-repair on a hydraulic manifold seal, but all in all.....just about there! I needed some weight to lock in the cable wedge into the block, so lifted the front of my M817 for weight. Using a surplus dynamometer, it came in at 8,000 Lbs lifting the front wheels about 1 foot off the ground. The pictures were taken at twilight, so a bit crappy, but thought this was a great place to show before and after on a big boy toy......the stuff we all love.

Platform.jpg

IMG_3164.jpg

IMG_3165.JPG

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ha! I am EVERYWHERE

Sweet progress, I wish I were that far on mine. I just today got "shut down" on a parts 5005h crane.

FloridaAKM

Nice way to unload the M105, now how did you set it down without crunching something? I used to work for a small family business which had a Pettibone 15 ton crane; that crane was used for everything imaginable. Wish it was still around today to move stuff around the yard!

drivebymashing

I bet it wouldnt hurt it to sit it down on the tailgate. If I had a crane I would try it and see. Maybe he could swing it around really fast and then release it so it will land on the wheels.