• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how cold has it been and started?

ohfisherman

84 m1009. parked outside on the street. high of 7 and low of minus 3 today and fired right up. the only thing i do is put a half a bottle of diesel 911 in it when i fill up. how low has anybody else gotten theirs to start?

gt1009

I think right around 0 is the lowest I started mine. Won't start tommorrow. Its just passing 0 now and won't be back positive till friday.

maritimer

-20 degrees celsius, takes 2 cycles of the glow plugs, and foot to the floor and a couple minutes of the engine chugging wit hbig clouds of smoke but after that she runs liek a dime

jw4x4

'84 M1009. 6 degrees this morning. Block heater set on a timer for 2 hours. Started right up. Supposed to be even colder the next couple of days (fingers crossed). For more heat inside, I put a thin mud flap trimmed down behind the grille guard to act as a winter front. The rear window was frozen in the tracks, but a little bit of liquid de-icer did the trick.

bht50

Its -8 right now where I live and high tomorrow is -1 and -12 tomorrow night no way mine will start. I have a oil heater on the bottom of the oil pan but doesnt do much good. It was about 10 above this morning and with a manual glow plug button three 10 sec. pushes and it chugs a little like it wants to start but the batteries go dead before it catches. Both batteries are less than 4 months old too. I have a 24v charger/maintainer ordered hope that helps cause if it had more battery power I think it would fire ok.

mangus580

Personally, I suggest the block heater for anything under about 20.... Not that it needs it, but its SO much nicer on the engine.

On cold mornings like today... I have the 1009 plugged in, when I leave for work, I switch the cord to the wife's burb.

I just put an outside outlet in, fed from a timer... so the 1009 starts heating at 05:00.

If the wife doesnt go anyplace, it shuts off at 10:30

offroaddiesel

i assuming we are takling diesel,i use a block heater.cold temps starting not healthyon them .she can sit until i need her or its warm . my chevy started up easy at -27 ,let the heat temp go up and took off.i have started some gas engines in the cold and they sound like a diesel ,not good, steve from western maine

hobie237

Mine has never had starting issues (outside of fuel interruption issues that I'm working out) regardless of temperature. Then again, when it's below freezing, I skip the glow plugs and use starting fluid.

ohfisherman

i just put a block heater in it after the post. it makes a huge difference!! my wait light didn't even go on. 1000 watt zerostart heater. what kind of timers do you guys use? i would think you need something that can handle the current. using a 25 foot 12 gauge extension cord. as a funny side story.....i put the plow on my cucv and when it starts anytime after midnight the neighbors look outside to check the weather because they know im going plowing.....kind of like a really local weather report!

jw4x4

Get an outdoor timer. I got mine at Lowe's. They stock a digital style and pin-type. I opted for the pin, was 5 bucks cheaper ($20). INTERMATIC model HB350. It has 2 outlets, I plugged in a drop light so I can be sure it is on. As for starting fluid, I personally will not risk it. For those who try, I suggest getting the engine turning before giving it a snort. The 6.2's are notorious for lifting heads.

jag7720

i just put a block heater in it after the post. it makes a huge difference!! my wait light didn't even go on. 1000 watt zerostart heater. what kind of timers do you guys use? i would think you need something that can handle the current. using a 25 foot 12 gauge extension cord. as a funny side story.....i put the plow on my cucv and when it starts anytime after midnight the neighbors look outside to check the weather because they know im going plowing.....kind of like a really local weather report!

How much of a PITA was it putting in that block heater? Which side did you put it on and which freeze lug hole did you use? Did you have to remove anything to do the work?

jw4x4

I am not trying to hijack this thread, but to relate my personal experience. My 1009 did not come with a block heater. I obtained a heater from a GM dealer. Installation was fairly simple. Drain the radiator. Remove the right (passenger) front freeze plug. I ended up taking a glycol shower. Went under the vehicle from the front- under the diff. Bad mistake. Drove the freeze plug out with a punch, started pouring antifreeze. I was stuck under the diff and could get out fast enough! I just had to laugh. After the dripping ceased, I thoroughly cleaned the hole on the block, put a little Syl Glide on the O-ring and installed the heating element. Make sure the element is not coming in contact with the block. I packed the heater end of the cord with di-electric grease. Ran the cord up along the frame and out of the grille where the blackout drive light is. Secured with zip ties.

Last edited:

hobie237

I just use regular old starting fluid. Nothing fancy, just a shot in the intake.

The warning on the air cleaner is due to the automatic glow plugs. If the starting fluid hits a hot glow plug, it'll go off wherever the piston happens to be, possibly on multiple cylinders simultaneously, which is a great way to do a whole lot of engine damage. Since I have manual glow plugs, I just don't push the button, and it's fine. There are also those who think that starting fluid should never, ever, ever be used, regardless of glow plug functionality, for some reason. They are idiots who should be ignored on the issue.

gt1009

Ok guys I am seriously amazed right now! Just went outside at -7, truck started first try! All I did differently was park it in the garage last night. It is the warmest it has been since about 10pm last night, and I'm just so proud of my blazer right now. I swear by the manual glow plug switch, and run 8 sec on, 6 off, 4 on, 8 off, and then 4 on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks