• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how cold has it been and started?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Zero degrees here this morning and the M35A3 started up fairly easily with a sniff of starting fluid. Admittedly, I had to feather the pedal for about 30 seconds while the motor smoothed out a bit.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
3 degrees here this morning,818 started with a sniff of starting fluid. Slow turning over.My sons 1008 fired up with just the glow plugs.

jmassenga

-18, not plugged in, and it starts regularly on the first glow plug cycle; have to give it a bit more fuel than normal though. Drove it to work every dday for a few weeks in these temps (with the radiator blocked, the defroster worked better than my other rig).

n1vbn

Started at -18, but doesn't really produce much heat. Gotta find me a winter front.
My ex Air Force Chevy Van 6.2 with turbo 400 was lousy on heat the first winter I drove it. It would throw heat but barely luke warm. $7.00 for a new 180 degree thermostat and it throws plenty of heat at 0 degree's out without a winter front. The old thermostat was fully open at 125 degrees we stuck a digital meter probe into the open thermostat's open holes. Also the 6.2 Diesel thermostat's have a small hole on one side with a piece of flat metal hanging from the hole, air causes it to drop and let air pass through it and waster pressure from the pump forces it back into the closed position so it doesn't supercool the engine. If the thermostat you buy isn't like what I described it is designed for a gas engine vehicle and it can't purge the air until the thermostat opens meaning somewhere else in the engine some part of the cooling system is bare metal with no coolant touching it and carrying the heat away, it might seem like a small item but is critical to long term proper operation of your engine. It takes a while for the engine to fully warm up but everything else being right it will defrost the windshield when it kicks off high idle. Not hot-hot but enough to defrost it. When you drive it then it really warms up and throws heat, it also allows the engine to run at it's designed temperature.

I changed the thermostat in the M-1009 and saw a difference in the heater output also.

Jim

n1vbnatyahoo.com
85 M-1009
86 Chevy 1 ton Air Force Hi-Cube Van
Original assignment 401st TFW
TORREJON AFB SPAIN

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks