• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do I replace fuel filters?

joho

I have a 1970 mf m35a2 and never replced the fuel filters before, is the anything special I should know? priming? tricks? short cuts? ect...
Thanks.

1qwkgoat

Search, it has been covered in depth many times before. You will finds loads of info on changing the filters

I wasn't going to say it, but if I didn't somebody would

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Joho,
I would highly recommend consulting the manual. It will give you the step by step, any things to watch out for, and how to prime the system back up.

Section IV in 9-2320-209-20-3-1. http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=92

On another note, it is advisable to carry a spare primary filter with you at all times, and secondaries if you have room. I know, they are 'available at many locations' But not if you find yourself on the shoulder at 2am on a sat night...

joho

This site has so much info and is so big that I wouldn't even know where to begin.
I know it was a stupid question, sorry to waste your time.
Thank you

GoHot229

The thing you will find the most difficult is getting to the primary, under the generator. Loosen the generator, slide tward the block and then you can get a wrench on it. It is an akward filter to get at, helps to have small hands. The orher two on the drivers side front are easy to get to, again the proper rubber oring/gaskets are a must, there were wide and narrow, sometimes you get the ones you need and other times the wrong one, so... dont monkey up the originals, just in case you have to re-use them. Another thing, if your in-tank pump is not working, make sure you fill up the one under the generator with deisel as full as you can and put it back on. Without it full, it will not stay running when you prime it. I primed it with gasoline, poured about a shot-glass at a time down the intake (take off the mushroom cap) coming out of the hood by the muffler, and if you put deisel in the canister, and prime down the intake tube it should fire and stay running. If you have a functioning in-tank pump, all this is not nessesary, mabe just a shot-glass prime or two and it should fire and run. If you get NAPA filters, get the small and large oring/gaskets so as to have the proper ones, if you get them from a MV parts place, its more likely you'll get the right ones from the start, but like I say, try to not monkey up the ones on there now. And yea its all covered in the TM's which you should read, don't be lazy, you will incur the wrath of the forum members because of that. Once your done you'll say, "that wasn't bad" Good Luck you'll learn quick. In case you weren't aware, on Steel Soldiers tool-bar there is a listing called Resources GO THERE and punch it then go to the TM's......likewise in Deuce section there is at the top of the section FAQ. which has a bunch of quick info for refference. When doing a SEARCH, use as fiew words as possable, the likelyhhood of finding an answer will be better.

Last edited:

joho

Thanks for the link, how do I find these links like you did? this site is so big, it would take me forever.
That link was perfect thanks again

JAYHAWK 1962

Joho, no man is stupid until he stops asking questions!! Good luck, many of us have not done a lot of the basic stuff before like myself either. this site in the short time i have been using it has been a wealth of info on these trucks and other stuff. I hope you enjoy it as much as i am.

Thanks for the link, how do I find these links like you did? this site is so big, it would take me forever.
That link was perfect thanks again
There is a search tab up on the tool bar or the site does an auto-search when you start a new thread, these results are seen below. Many times when I use the search it still comes up with alot of threads, but I find usefull information as I go thru them.

MDSA

You do not have to loosen the generator to get to the primary filter. Someone on this sight posted a way to simply slip a wrench onto the bolt at the top of brace holding the primary. Then twist the primary canister. It worked fine for me.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've done the primaries on 4 different trucks and on all I was able to remove the bolt on top of the primary using a 3/4" stubby wrench.

GoHot229

You do not have to loosen the generator to get to the primary filter. Someone on this sight posted a way to simply slip a wrench onto the bolt at the top of brace holding the primary. Then twist the primary canister. It worked fine for me.
Could be....my hands are a bit too big to fitt in these cramped spaces, thus loosening the Gen. still not too hard to do.

joho

Is the primary filter as long as the other 2? the canister looks long but my baldwin filter #pf906 is only 3.5 inches long.
Thanks again for all your help.

avengeusa

i just pulled mine out for cleaning, and it looked like some crud in the bottom of the can, cleaned out really easy.....

I have a question, people have mentioned the military issue filters, some of them anyway, can be cleaned ans reused.....

how do i tell if mine are reusable? they do not appear to be paper filters, but something a little different....

pics below.....

Attachments

avengeusa

mine is cake with the smaller alternator, i can get a big old crescent wrench right

avengeusa

hmmmm,

looking at the manual it shows a few parts on the shaft of the filter housing, I have the spring and washer, but there is nothing else........

i think someone left some stuff out!

crazyplowboy

I think the parts on the shaft that you are missing are a way to space the smaller non reusable filters up towards the top of the canister. The filter you have (Reusable) is the full length of the can therefore you do not need the other parts.

jimm1009

your filter

You will need the parts if you go with the short filter. The larger filter element the more filtering capacity and sometimes better filtering.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks