• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you change a tire

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think you were wrong is using the pick, or at least not alone. a friend of mine who was an engineer in the army asked if the truck came with a "pick o matic".:-D apparently they have been used more than once to change a tire.
Bad idea to slam anything with an edge into the side of a rubber tire??? Proper tools save lives.

roscoe

I just repaired a couple of tires this week. One just an hour ago. I found the hardest part (without real tire tools) is getting the split ring off. After that, I thought the rest of the process was easy. I can see why you would want this type of wheel/ tire/ tube combo for repairs in the field.

crasheej

When in the field we didn't have a cage so we used a chain . You ran it around and through the holes not to tight or you have an other problem . Locking chuck and a long air hose. Never had any trouble. Maybe luck was with us those times. But you do what you have to do to get the job done and try to stay out of trouble.

panzerjunky

Thanks for the replys Fellas
I ended up not blasting but using a needle scaler and an orbital sander and they look great.
I did although more to refresh my memory and just to be shure I had the know how if needed in the field I did it like I remembered us doing it all those years ago I took a sledge and beat strait down on the sidewall of the tire to lose or break the bead then the matox to clear the bead and remove the ring the rest was easy when it came time for the ring I placed it flat on the garage floor it did not lay 100% flat so I tossed it in the corner and put on an nos ring I had then a chain was losely wrapped around the tire and the tag ends were held together by a padlock ( I remember doing that in the afore mentioned mud at Ft. Carson it aired up fine and is now my spare But..........I 100% agree with all the other fellas on this post get the proper tools as I have since done they make the job a lot less stress full also just get another tire and rim and toss it ( ok Heave) in the back of the truck hen you go out to the back country if you go through 2 tires you are wheelin way to hard and its time to go home.
Thanks again for that very informative post
Jerry

kfrosty

I have a couple of questions on this as I'm getting ready to change to some 16 tires and I don't have a cage.

What are the chances of the 5 ton wheel lock ring actually explodes into shrapnel? If that's the case then it doesn't seem the cages are even safe?

Also, if they can fail, what's the difference in just airing up a tire low on pressure?

After reading this informative post, I'm thinking of only airing up with the wheel or tire mounted and either putting an excavator bucket up against the wheel or a bobcat bucket.

I know the thread is old but thanks for this. Glad I found it. These wheels and tires are so heavy and I only air up to 40psi most of the time to help with the ride, I would have never imagine this type of problem.

Thanks

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have a couple of questions on this as I'm getting ready to change to some 16 tires and I don't have a cage.
If you're coming to the Ga Rally, I have 2 cages and I need to sell one. Really cheap. $50? I can get pictures today.

What are the chances of the 5 ton wheel lock ring actually explodes into shrapnel? If that's the case then it doesn't seem the cages are even safe?
I have never heard of a lock ring turning into shrapnel. If the ring isn't properly seated in the wheel groove or if the lip of the tire bead has an issue, when inflating, it may force the ring off and obviously with a lot of force. I've never heard of one turning into shrapnel.

Also, if they can fail, what's the difference in just airing up a tire low on pressure?
In theory, once the tire bead has seated on the ring, the ring is locked onto the wheel by the tire. A flat tire that is still "beaded" can't let the ring come off, whereas when you're inflating it for the first time, the bead hasn't seated on the ring.

I have had a couple of flats where it looked like the bead wasn't flush on the wheel, those I used a remote chuck on just to be on the safe side.

After reading this informative post, I'm thinking of only airing up with the wheel or tire mounted and either putting an excavator bucket up against the wheel or a bobcat bucket.
Goes without saying you should own a remote tire chuck.

I know the thread is old but thanks for this. Glad I found it. These wheels and tires are so heavy and I only air up to 40psi most of the time to help with the ride, I would have never imagine this type of problem.

Thanks
You're using the site the right way, you're searching for your answers and bumping relevant threads.

Kaiser67M715

when pulling the safety ring off, be sure to inspect it and the groove in the rim carefully, scrap out any rust, and make sure the ring has no cracks or is heavily pitted with rust-because if it is cracked or pitted too much, it could end up forcing itself off the tire-even if the bead is seated correctly.

I know a couple guys who mount them right to the truck, ring facing in towards frame and air them up-any damage should then be contained by the truck-if you don't want to damage your truck, think of it like this-whats more important, you or the truck? obviously there are multiple safe ways to air up the tire, and you can choose any which way you desire - I'm just lending another way for those of us that don't have a cage, or excavator handy.

and I'll put this here, for those who don't want to back-read, most tires on a M35, M37, M715, and 5 tons are of the safety ring type-you have to get the bead of the tire below the ring to remove; otherwise you risk damaging the ring, this is not like a split rim, where you can remove the rings after pushing the bead back a little bit.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'll take one of those cages for 50!
I only have one and kfrosty has first dibs on it, he pm'd me before you responded. He's gonna' see if he can get someone to pick it up from me and bring it to him or closer to him. If it falls through with him, you're #2.

Here it is. Simple cage, built at Warner Robins AFB. I've done a bunch of deuce 9:00 and 11:00R20's in it, but I need to measure it and see how big a tire/wheel can fit in it.

20160723_203030.jpg20160723_203022.jpg20160723_203032.jpg

Sounds good. If he doesn't want it I'll buy it and either just come get it or pick it up at the rally. 11R20 is all I need, I don't really plan on switching from the stock rims.

Charles

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Sounds good. If he doesn't want it I'll buy it and either just come get it or pick it up at the rally. 11R20 is all I need, I don't really plan on switching from the stock rims.

Charles

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Check your inbox, sent you a pm yesterday.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks