• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How far can a M109 tilt to the side?

Darwin T

You will know when you have gone too far because you will hear a voice that sure sounds like your own yelling OH S***!!!!!!

If you have your significant other with you then you will probably never be able to hear much again shortly after that scream!

Rick
wrong, if you have your significant other with you then you will hear about it every day and you will never hear the end of it. :whistle:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
from that document:
Although 25 degrees is a severe roll angle for a truck the size of the M35A2, it is only about half the angle required for the truck to roll over.

I don't want to try it. The 5 ton might be a little better due to weight (but not with taller tires).

Seems the pucker gauge, which sets off alarms much sooner than 25 degrees, is a good instrument.

jesusgatos

25-degrees? I think motorcoaches and OTR trucks are supposed to be able to handle up to at least 35-degrees. The military has to have commissioned some kind of tests of these vehicles. Nobody has seen anything? here's a document that outlines some rollover testing procedures for larger vehicles.

SMOKEWAGON66

oohhh...I can answer this question. The M109 will tilt only as far as it takes to tip it over. Then you'll know youve gone too far lol...But seriously though, just use common sense. If it feels like its listing too far, dont go that way. It may have an angle that it will generally go over at, but you may have more gear stowed in your van, or more fuel in your tank, or less tire pressure in your tires then the truck they tested the angle out on...plus forward motion will add to the weight being tossed side to side when your suspension travels. i.e. if you know the 109 will tip at say 60 deg when standing still, whos to say she wont go over at 49 deg because you hit a bump and flung weight above that center of gravity....

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
w/ the rear suspension made the way it is, we almost never have things tossed about in side.
I have seen Elise tilt it so much that it freaked her right the sh!t out! I saw it in my mirror and all I could think was DON'T STOP!, DON'T STOP!, DON'T STOP!

That was before we had the Hemet rims and 395's, . . . it was singled w/ flipped hubs and the rims dished in.

This was me the next day and I didn't even come close to what she had done

Attachments

Rodger

Hey Low Tech

I really enjoyed your pictures of the Death Valley trip in the M109 & how you set the camper up, and the roof rack .

Can you explain why you singled the stock wheels?

Thank you
Rodger
Thank you