• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how hard do you drive it

maximum speed you'll go

• Total voters

cucvrus

0209161554hauling brass.jpg79mph by the Garvin GPS M1008 on a mission. I 81 North. Flip phone takes poor quality pictures. That was with the plow on and 3300 lbs of salt secured in the cargo bed. I bought this truck in Pines Bluff NC in 2005 off of Ebay. I use it everyday since then. It had 40K on it and it has 109K on it when i parked it today. The only thing that I ever see suffering is the fuel mileage. I service it completely every 3K at the GM dealer and it gets washed every time it rains. It is stored indoors at night and on weekends. Unheated garage. The other issues I have are the glow plugs quit working during the blizzard and the steering unit has a leak at the input shaft. Minor leak and magic spray sprayed at the engine starts it. I don't even spray it in the air cleaner. Just open the hood and spray it from the drivers side. Both new driveshafts today and completely serviced. I am getting spoiled with the newer trucks. I know they are more comfortable then CUCV's and they plow just as good.

CUCVLOVER

I think you said you had 33" tires. Are you still stock with a TH400 transmission and 4.56 gears in the 1008? Because that should work out to 3900rpm. Either the speedo is fast or the tach is slow if everything else is stock.
The tires are 285-75/R16. They measure right at 33 tall. I have checked the speedo by a newer vehicle to be accurate i have not gps checked it. Stock engine, stock th400 automatic transmission, stock axles with 4.56 gears. I have ran it that fast a few times and finally took the video.

Jack Lope

With 33" tires, 60 seems like a sweet spot, but 65 seems ok. I've gone 75 for a few miles at a time and had it up to 80 once or twice too, but I like my truck too much to keep doing that.

Last edited:

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've tested the old Iron today.....for a few miles, I had almost 85 mph on it!!!
The tires are 33", the rest is stock.......
The acceleration goes up to 85 mph very fast.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
55-57
Shes very happy at 45
Bone stock M1008A1
I want it to last a long time.

It's a ranch truck but have had it on freeway a few times.
I just cruise at 55 and watch everyone pass.
I'm always above the minimum posted speed anyway.

Engine screams at that speed.
Couldn't imagine 65-70+

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1009 has pretty much stock everything I think. I try to keep it around 65 MPH but I have noticed I've crept up to 75 MPH on the highway. In all my other vehicles and motorcycle I have radar detector in them so I do have a little heavy foot sometimes. LOL

rsh4364

The fastest I have been in my 456 geared 1009 with 33 inch tires is 70mph spinning at 3300 rpms.At the same speed in my 308 geared 1009 I was just turning 2200 rpms. Also with 33 tires.This was with GPS, don't even look at the speedometer, never right..

Last edited:

tim292stro

For now 45MPH in my M1009 simply because I don't trust the 11 year old tires I have on the rear axle. Once I change them out, I'll be darn sure to put it on the highway at 65 often (daily). There wasn't a poll option for that, so I'll vote after I change the tires :beer:

I've gone up 65 (GPS true speed) on my CUCV II (1993 GMC K2500 5/4 4x4 6.2 "J" diesel) but it is VERY BUSY at that speed. I'm thinking of changing out the 4.56 front and rear gears and going down to a 3.56 or similar to try to find a 65-70 comfortable cruising speed. Maybe run bigger tires than the stock 245/75R16s (30.5") up to 285/75R16s (32.5"). Great truck, but with long Texas highways, I'd like / need a higher highway speed. Any suggestions??

motorstormer

Hit 80 today in a 55 according to the speedo (accurate at 55) behind a 12 valve Cummins (couldn't let him out run me) afraid to hit the curves that fast but he was to.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I rode in a 1008 once and it sounded like it was coming apart at 50 MPH! Put me down for a sustained speed of 35 MPH!
KK

howardc

I drive my 85 M1009 like its made of porcelain. 60 mph indicated, 55 true (gps)

The only time I gave it **** was on the test drive before I bought it.

Cantos

Mostly I drive about 45-60mph, but sometimes on the highway I floor the accelerator. I named this "Cleanout"

usabamaman

Stock M1009, except ungraded fluids. If I hit the interstate I head up close to 70 to reduce the chance of being rear ended. It sounds great at this speed. I only have the dash speedo so I don't know the exact accuracy or the top end speed, but it will go way past the end mark of 85 mph. I have read that is one good indicator of a well functioning injector pump.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks