• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How is the value of the M35A3 holding up?

4sarge

Considering putting mine up for sale but need to put some research into pricing it before placing an ad here.

Would like to get an opinions on what its worth.

1993 M35A3 With Winch, less than 12,000 miles
added a bed hoist tapped into winch hydraulic.
CTIS works
allison trans rebuilt ($3,000!) and running on ATF now.
Georgia title

Thanks for your input!

I'll still be in the "steel soldiers" with my 1951 M38 Jeep!

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It worth want you and a buyer think it's worth .
It's a limited market most deuce buyers want a multi-fuel , expensive cat motor and allison trans , wheel bearnings ect. so repairs are high dollar. The cool factor of a A3 is gone now the focus is on the LMTV's.
Set a price your happy with and if it sells quick you did good , if no inquires lower the prices , it doesn't sound like your in a hurry to get rid of it so put a number on it and see what happens . It's only $15 a year to advertise in the classifieds here.

tobyS

Who did the rebuild on the transmission (were they certified Allison) and did they have the locking torque converter rebuilt? Was it total replacement on all steels and frictions?

When you added the hoist, did you reinforce the bed rails?

Does it have 365/80's on it and are they checking? Have the rear hubs been flipped so the dish is out?

Pictures would help.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should find out what the actual year of manufacture is. All were advertised as 1993, but they were built through 1998. However, you had the option of putting whatever date you wanted on the SF97 request. I found out that mine was manufactured in 1998, and my Georgia title states 1998 as the year of manufacture. You might get more money for your A3 if it has a later date. They also go for more with a fiberglass hood.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tell people that running A3's start around 12k and up.

Find the happy medium between how fast you can sell it and what you can get for it.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Find the happy medium between how fast you can sell it and what you can get for it.
People must have deep pockets on the left coast , I don't think in the mid-west you would get that.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran into a guy in Minnesota that told me he paid $17K for an A3 when they were first being released. The poor guy was convinced that they would escalate in value due to the small numbers. I wonder what he thinks of his investment now. I have to say that my A3 has been very dependable. My A2 has been very dependable as well.

tobyS

I ran into a guy in Minnesota that told me he paid $17K for an A3 when they were first being released. The poor guy was convinced that they would escalate in value due to the small numbers. I wonder what he thinks of his investment now. I have to say that my A3 has been very dependable. My A2 has been very dependable as well.
The value as original and limited will be more important in 10-20 years. I bought mine thinking I would keep it original but now I'm going to make it 4x4...so kinda blows the historical originality thing. I was surprised how strong the 3116 could accelerate, I still have 3 forward gears, and it was impressive compared to the rest (is my 16th mv, most 5 tons). I sold my more expensive and running A3 to the potato farm.

Good alterations and repairs, like the OP has said he made, if they were quality workmanship, would make it worth 15 retail in my opinion. Having a tranny warranty would help sell it.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur

The first one that I saw sell on GL sold for 30K.

I bet that guy is still crying in his beer.

I drove one home for a guy from SC to Al.

I was not impressed with the top end....slower than the slowest deuce I ever owned.

And they are butt ugly.

If you are not in a hurry to sell it you can wait for what you consider to be a fair price for what you have in it.

You might try some of the companies that rent vehicles out for movie production.

They will put more into it because they can depreciate them over several years against profit made on other vehicles.

4sarge

Hello....is the OP still here?

Hello....hello....
Still here!
The hubs haven't been flipped and I'm not exactly sure what that mod accomplishes.
Rebuild on trans was done 3 years ago. Not sure on "all the steels, etc" just know I spent a buttload.
Believe it was a certified shop. But will need to investigate that further as my friendly local mechanic sent it to his trans shop near chicago.
The box was reinforced for the hoist install.

Here is the thread with the hoist install:
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...-I-add-valve&p=1038943&highlight=#post1038943

Last edited:

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hubs haven't been flipped and I'm not exactly sure what that mod accomplishes.
It's mostly done for cosmetic reasons. If you go to super singles (A1 or A2), depending on the offset of the wheels many flip the hubs to push the wheels more outside. It can also add to stability and align the front and rear wheels to the same track.

tobyS

I look for things that I want on one and they all contribute to my perceived value. I am NOT a retail buyer (used to have 2 and now have one that is getting highly modified). I've been buying and selling MV at my place for about 7 years (bought 16 trucks), so do track prices.

While I understand the "buttload" of tranny costs, not having the details isn't going to be much of a positive selling feature to a retail buyer. Will saying you rebuilt the tranny 3 years back have some effect, yes, but not near as much as proving a full rebuild was done (or a warranty still is in force).

365/80 are a relatively old tire that will develop cracks and rust in the rims with never ending leaks. The bearings for the rears with CTIS are insanely expensive (making CTIS a less than desirable feature to me). If you said the tires were replaced with new 395's, o-rings and new valve stems, then the value would be higher, in my opinion. Yes, the flipping of the rims is a cosmetic feature mostly...but represents many hours of care for the "details" that I like to see.

That it is a winch model is highly sought after...especially if original. But I don't like the pump on the back of the compressor, so that feature is not a choice I would pay a premium for. I've had several with winches...and never used one. Good luck.

Last edited:

rustystud

People must have deep pockets on the left coast , I don't think in the mid-west you would get that.
I like your name for the west coast. Yes it is "left" out here, though there are a few "right" minded people still around. Also almost any military vehicle sells at a much higher price out here then anywhere else. Who knows why.

tobyS

When I see the number of hummers being sold with asking prices above $15k....made in massive numbers compared to the 5600 A3's...a preserved OEM A3 will, I believe, greatly appreciate in value.

I don't know about modified ones....but I like the Cat and that it's not 23,000# empty.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I see the number of hummers being sold with asking prices above $15k....made in massive numbers compared to the 5600 A3's...a preserved OEM A3 will, I believe, greatly appreciate in value.

I don't know about modified ones....but I like the Cat and that it's not 23,000# empty.
I concur, except that the potential market will be that rare enthusiast who wants that collectible M35A3.

In today's market, value $7500-$15k, with this particular truck in the $9k-12k range. I sent a PM with the details of my reasoning.

tobyS

Yep.... depends on his marketing ability. Hope we helped.

I'll make a prediction/guess that a collector will go $30K on one within 5 years.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Really, the 6x6 M35A3 will keep going up in price and mine will go down in price. I turned down $20,000 for mine last year. Guess i screwed up.

Attachments

4sarge

I look for things that I want on one and they all contribute to my perceived value. I am NOT a retail buyer (used to have 2 and now have one that is getting highly modified). I've been buying and selling MV at my place for about 7 years (bought 16 trucks), so do track prices.

While I understand the "buttload" of tranny costs, not having the details isn't going to be much of a positive selling feature to a retail buyer. Will saying you rebuilt the tranny 3 years back have some effect, yes, but not near as much as proving a full rebuild was done (or a warranty still is in force).

365/80 are a relatively old tire that will develop cracks and rust in the rims with never ending leaks. The bearings for the rears with CTIS are insanely expensive (making CTIS a less than desirable feature to me). If you said the tires were replaced with new 395's, o-rings and new valve stems, then the value would be higher, in my opinion. Yes, the flipping of the rims is a cosmetic feature mostly...but represents many hours of care for the "details" that I like to see.

That it is a winch model is highly sought after...especially if original. But I don't like the pump on the back of the compressor, so that feature is not a choice I would pay a premium for. I've had several with winches...and never used one. Good luck.
I've still got a few projects for the truck this summer so I'm not hot to sell was just hoping to get a feel for the market.

The Tires are michelin 14.5R20 XL....not sure what those are in a metric size.

4sarge

You should find out what the actual year of manufacture is. All were advertised as 1993, but they were built through 1998. However, you had the option of putting whatever date you wanted on the SF97 request. I found out that mine was manufactured in 1998, and my Georgia title states 1998 as the year of manufacture. You might get more money for your A3 if it has a later date. They also go for more with a fiberglass hood.
It does have a fiberglass hood. And a soft top.
Were you able to determine the mfg yr from the VIN number?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks