• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How long the starter will hold?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not me.
So what's the reason for posting the video ?
You really need to post some basic information on why you posted it , I have seen moderators delete threads for not posting info with the video.

So did you ever get your glow plug system working properly , you never updated your thread on it . When you start a thread please post a end result so it will help others in the future..
[h=1]New HMMWV[/h]

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was that a Gov Planet video? (Starts and runs). If not the dude likely got a medal for starting a HMMWV that the motor Sgt said needed glow plugs.

dilvoy

So what's the reason for posting the video ?
You really need to post some basic information on why you posted it , I have seen moderators delete threads for not posting info with the video.

So did you ever get your glow plug system working properly , you never updated your thread on it . When you start a thread please post a end result so it will help others in the future..
New HMMWV
What's the big deal? I'd really like to know so I can learn. The title of the thread is "How long the starter will hold?" and on the photo for the video it clearly states "HMMWV diesel cold start" Seems pretty clear to me, but I'd hate to post a photo of a Humvee atop a mountain with the sun setting behind it and have it be removed for some reason like not being informative to some degree needed. Would something saying "silly photo of my Humvee in the universe be OK?"

Dock Rocker

What's the big deal? I'd really like to know so I can learn. The title of the thread is "How long the starter will hold?" and on the photo for the video it clearly states "HMMWV diesel cold start" Seems pretty clear to me, but I'd hate to post a photo of a Humvee atop a mountain with the sun setting behind it and have it be removed for some reason like not being informative to some degree needed. Would something saying "silly photo of my Humvee in the universe be OK?"
That’s actually a video and the guy cranks on the truck for what seems like forever. It eventually starts but I am sure his starter lost one of its 9 lives and the charging system and glow plugs may never be the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gcbennet

LoL this is copied/pasted right out of the operator's manual. Dude certainly wasn't doing anyone any favours by possibly burning out a $500 starter just to say it runs.

CAUTION

If ambient temperature is above 0°F (-18°C), do not operate starter continuously for more than 20 seconds;
wait 10 to 15 seconds between periods of starter operation. Failure to do this will result in damage to the starter.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LoL this is copied/pasted right out of the operator's manual. Dude certainly wasn't doing anyone any favours by possibly burning out a $500 starter just to say it runs.

CAUTION

If ambient temperature is above 0°F (-18°C), do not operate starter continuously for more than 20 seconds;
wait 10 to 15 seconds between periods of starter operation. Failure to do this will result in damage to the starter.
That would involve actually opening and reading a TM , which rarely happens until they trash something.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to play devil's advocate here. He cranks for upwards of 40 seconds, sure, but after the first 10 seconds or so the engine is trying to start. With one, then two, then more cylinders firing the starter is not running at full load but with just enough energy to keep the engine turning. Call it engine-assisted starter!

If you have ever watched an ampmeter on a starter, the starter really drops back in current drawn after the engine and starter are up to full cranking speed, as this engine was all those 40 seconds. The battery would not be suffering too bad.

My opinion was that no real damage was done. If he had stopped after 20 seconds (per manual) and then had to get engine back up to starter rpm again every time he tried it, plus the firing cylinders cooled off and no longer assisting every time he started over, then more wear would occur following the manual. The driver knew that engine would fire any second.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks