• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much is a complete 12k service worth?

TexAndy

I've got some other deuce and a halfs I'm going to try to sell this year. Being the greedy, capitalist running dog that I am, I'd like to get the most amount of money for them possible.

So, would any of you pay extra for a deuce that you knew had just had a complete 12k mile service done on? We're talking about repacked wheel bearings, checked, replaced (if need be), and adjusted brake shoes, checked and serviced wheel cylinders, cleaned hubs and brake drums, checked and replaced bearing seals, and complete lube of all zerts.

If so, how much value would this add to most people? I'd like to know so I know whether or not it's worth my time to do it.

This is NOT a for sale ad. This is market research.

TexAndy

how much is a "little" extra?

I'm assuming by myself it would take ~2 hours per wheel. And I try not to get out of bed for less than $20 an hour.

So, $300 reasonable? That would account for time and parts for everything.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not sure about the price, but whether or not it is worth more would depend upon who was looking. For example, say you have a guy who is mechanically competent. That guy may not want to pay anything extra above the cost of supplies because he could have done it himself. Now say you have a guy who does not know much. That guy might pay extra. Of course you also have the guy who does not know much and probably won't service the truck after he gets it. That guy won't want to pay anything extra.

I suggest you total up your supplies and add in $20 per hour as you suggested. That seems reasonable. If you can take pics of your progress as you service the truck, that would go a long way toward assuring the buyer of exactly what went into the process.

lonegunman

I think the total up the cost of parts plus labor at you min rate. If you took a few pics of everything and spent 10 dollars on a thumb drive to store it that would be even better.

A guy who can wrench a little may not be impressed, but a guy who wants a good driving truck and likes the idea of not spending the first two months rounding up parts and tools would be glad to spend a few extra dollars out of the gate.

Besides if it appealed to a guy with limited talent who got hooked on the hobby, we would all be better off.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you trained and knowledgable enough to correctly perform the maintenance? If so your time is worth much more than 20 an hour.

Maybe you could offer the service as an add on. Say have one price AS-IS and another price for the full maintenace and inspection included.

Being a skilled mech is worth more than mowing lawns or digging ditches.

NewWheeler

I would easily pay $300 more for a truck that had been fully serviced prior to sale.
I think if you work it like Divemaster was saying, as a practice, it becomes worth more and more the more trucks you sell. If you have several to sell and you get a reputation as selling a good quality product they will sell for more money, sell quicker, and you'll have less trouble later on from previous buyers. Conversely, if you are just turning around trucks as you got them from GL you may get a truck in there from time to time that turns into a lemon to the buyer; he'll start bad mouthing you, you'll get a bad reputation, trucks will sell for less, and it'll take longer to find a buyer for the trucks you have left.
Plus, once you start servicing the trucks you'll realize some efficiencies; you'll get quicker at doing it and you'll be able to buy parts and supplies in quantities that get you a price break. So, I think it's actually cheaper for you to do the servicing than not.

TexAndy

I'm not really a mechanic. But a board member here who was a deuce mechanic in the army showed me how to do it.

It's not difficult or complicated. Just a time consuming pita. Especially if you don't have some tools that make it alot easier. Or if you've never done it before.

There's nothing about it that you can't get specific instructions on here or in the -20

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be worth $250-450 to me but YMMV.

While there isn't much of anything I couldn't figure out how to do I am usually willing to trade money to keep my free time.

sw

coolnick73

Being the greedy, capitalist running dog that I am, I'd like to get the most amount of money for them possible.
My kind of guy:wink:. I am more of a capitalist pig.

I like the idea of letting people have the choice of having a serviced truck. Maybe have a choice like at the automatic carwashes,

no servicing (other than what it takes to get it off the GL lot)
minimum - oil and filters changed
Medium - 12k service
Premium - 12k service plus spin-on conversions installed, new dog bones etc.

This way you won't lose sales to the budget minded people who want a titled Deuce for cheap. And it would appeal to the people who want a turn key (or turn switch in the case of the deuce) vehicle. If you had options it might appear less like you are trying to scam people.

The problem is that people like me who are moderate level of mechanical aptitude think they can do everything themselves but then realize the scale of deuce parts are quite a bit bigger and heavier than your standard pickup. Keeping records of what has been done will be a pain. If you did it this way you would also have to have a more flexible schedule as some people won't want to wait 60 days for the servicing to get done.

That being said, $300 for your 12k service sounds pretty cheap, but a good incentive to have someone buy from you. You might want to check around at a truck stop place for some prices of even an oil change to get you some indication what professional services cost.

emr

I think it is next to imposible to get more for this work, just an opinion, But it can happen if there is someone who knows U and you have a track record of having pristene trucks, other wise one is spinning there wheels, I have to say U want to adjust the brakes, Do U know how to do a real adjustment there are 2 and done at different times during the life of the truck and then repeated. i am leaving what they are out, there are 2.....I sold a deuce for 10,000 that was worth more, but it is a well known pristene truck, with alot of history in the hobby, all that has to be taken into consideration, If it is your first one, the chances are slimmer...Randy

dm22630

Here is what Eastern Surplus charges & I think it is WELL worth $700....

PM service on M35A2 Deuce & a Half- Change antifreeze, lower and upper radiator hoses, change engine oil and filters, change fuel filters and wash out primary filter, change air filter, check and top all gear cases, replace all belts with new ( alternator/aircompressor), top off master cylinder, grease entire chassis- cost $700

M35 For Sale. Deuces for Sale Turbo Diesel, Army Trucks, Logging, Heavy Trucks, Off-Road Big Trucks, Four Wheel Drive, Parts, Truck Parts, M35 parts, M35A2 parts, Deuce and a half parts, Reo parts, 5 ton parts, M900 parts, military vehicles for sale,

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a man on a budget looking for a deuce I'd chip in depending on the extent of the service and quality done. I would go an extra $300 if everything was in order and the main "problem" areas were inspected/replaced/taken care of in addition to parts. Anything past that would be a little overkill on work and cost as if the price starts to climb I might as well buy as-is or go else where. A man on a budget can only be stretched so far.

If you are talking a complete inspection on everything you said before I would expect to pay $500 and needed parts with the expectation that if anything were to go wrong with any parts you serviced you would own up to it and fix it without any issue (assuming it wasnt abused or such). Anymore and I might as well just buy all the stuff and do it myself. Cheaper = risk. Expensive = guarantee (or better be).

The most important factor I'd say is the trust that can be placed in the work. I dont trust many people working on my vehicles but one being a fellow SS member would help tide that over.

Overall, I'd just say go with the "As-is" price and offer a service package. Some of us want to learn too! :-D

markmontana

...a complete 12k mile service ...

how much value would this add to most people? I'd like to know so I know whether or not it's worth my time to do it.
A local shop charges $85/hour plus parts. Keep in mind- that is for experts with a good reputation for fast work.

Myself- I would like to have a choice (as mentioned earlier) as to whether the work is included or if I could opt out. If I'm looking to buy in the winter- I'd pay to have it done!!!

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
a service that would check all bearings an repack them should replace the seals as he does this.. that said if you would add up .. the seals, grease, all the filters, oil, anti freeze with a thermostate then your talking up 200 to 300 just for the parts... so 300 total would not cover your parts bill... just me adding up what i remember i usually have to buy.. :-D but in my opion offering this service so the buyer can make up his mind would be the best bet. if he so choise he might want to watch you do this service... watch an learn..

hippiedude

I say seals, oil , filtes , a brake inspection and Time ....... I think $1000 is a fare price ...( your looking at 6 or 8 hours + ) ............ Tim

Keith_J

The bearing and brake workover is well worth $500 in just the safety aspect.

Lube of the chassis with a good work-over on steering, suspension and driveline is worth another $500.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks