• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much motor oil can I burn as fuel?

Jimma

I know several guys using it 100%. They filter it of course. I am running used soybean oil at about 60% mixed with diesel and sometimes gas but I am stocking up on the motor oil for the winter months to blend it as well. Back to your question, I personally would blend a little gas with it as a thinner to make it easier on your pumps, filters and injectors.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran about 80% WMO and gas on the 1530 mile round trip to the GA rally and back and it ran fine.

On a side note, check with your state department of taxation and pay the road taxes on your blend. You'll only need to pay tax on the portion that is not already taxed (the WMO, not the diesel or gasoline). You will save yourself a world of hurt and heartache if you ever get pulled over and they check your tank. The state of Ohio only requires the tax of $0.28 per gallon for your "homemade" fuels.

Nuckollsinc

I have been using 100% in my last deuce and my current deuce. I havent had a single problem not even a clogged filter. The KEY is filter filter filter. I filter down to 1 micron.

SilentSpeedy

Hi all, I am new here and bumped in to this article, I find this very interesting but wonder how to filter the oil? I did so some research but the ideas for filtering are mostly aimed at home heaters. Somehow I think it needs to be cleaner than that?

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have any pictures of the set-up I use, but I can describe it pretty well. A lot of people swear you have to use a centrifuge, but I humbly disagree. While a centrifuge will most definitly produce some finely filtered oil, all you are gaining is not changing the truck filters as often. The truck secondary filters are rated at something like 10 microns or so. I feel if you can filter down to less than 10 you should be good. You'll still have some ash to deal with, but run a tank of diesel every now and again, and you should be able to clean out any deposits in your exhaust system.

My filter consists of a 1/4 ARO air diaphragm pump using a 100 micron suction strainer to keep large chunks from damaging the pump. After the pump, I have a 50 micron washable strainer (which also collects smaller amounts of water), followed by two spin-on filter bases. One of them has a 10 micron filter on it and the other one has a 4 micron fiberglass media filter attached. The 50 micron strainer has a valve at the bottom, so I just crack it open every now and again to drain any water that might be in it. So basically I start with 100 micron, then 50, 10 and 4 microns. I just made the 1530 mile run to the GA rally using about an 80/20 blend of oil and gas and experienced no filter clogging so far.

Avn-Tech

Guys,

While I have not personally run motor oil through my engine (still on the tank of fuel in the truck when purchased), I have several friends that have run motor I have filtered. The run the motor oil straight (no cutting).

My personal sugestion, is to run a mix (50/50- 75/25). There are several reasons for this, number 1 is getting enough oil to run straight oil may be a problem. Why not spread the oil out and make it last longer. Reason number 2, I think the thinned oil will folw better, giving better tempature control within the engine.

I use a centrifical oil filter, filtering down to 1/2 micron. I currently have about 150 gallons of oil filtered and ready for use. I store it in a it in a 600 gallon military oil tank, I mounted on an M200 trailer.

Laterrrrrrr
Avn-Tech

Kalashnikov

I use a cheap harbor freight water pump with a spin on filter base and 10 micron hydraulic filters. It will fill the 50 gallon tank in under 10 minutes. total cost was under $300. I've run 100% and it works well.

SilentSpeedy

I use a cheap harbor freight water pump with a spin on filter base and 10 micron hydraulic filters. It will fill the 50 gallon tank in under 10 minutes. total cost was under $300. I've run 100% and it works well.
You mean just an ordinary sump pump? I got one laying around if that works it would be great. I just have to fight an filter on the entrance or exit or both?:driver:

Kalashnikov

No, it's a gas powered water pump. Sump pumps will take too long and for the price of this pump, around $150, you can't beat it. I tried different electric pumps at home depot but they were all crap and either didn't work out of the box or were plain to slow and couldn't handle the suction and eventually broke.

jpekarek

I have had good luck with 50/50 WMO/ regular gas in the winter. In the summer I use Wreckerman's Special Deuce Elixer......30%WMO/30%WVO/30%straight diesel/10% gasoline
I have used this Duece Elixer of Wrecker's, in slightly different ratios, (actually more UMO).

It runs very well. The engine is actually quieter and I haven't noticed any difference in power.

It still sounds like a clothes drier full of framing hammers at idle, but the typical diesel knocking while running is a little less.

All said and done, it cost me about .80 cents per gallon to run it.