• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much shim after 4" lift?

Clearly a lift and bigger tires will change approach angle and departure angle, not just ground clearance. Certainly not just cosmetic.

Just as clearly, changing just one thing on one of these trucks is just about impossible. But in 30 years the aftermarket and mod crowd should have worked out the details of just what needs to be changed to work together as a package.

As far as 4x4ing goes, AZ is quite different from CA or KY or PA or TX (been off road in all these places). Approach angle counts a lot here....

I watch with interest to see how this turns out.
True story.

Bummy

Cool what size tires are those truck1? I also own a 1984 m1028 and am debating the lift kit options as of because I bought some Chinese xzl clones that are 36" tall by 9" wide and will fit on the stock 16 inch rims.

48cj2a

I noticed a difference in vibrations with lift when the NP208 first came out in 81. Never seamed to have a huge issue with the NP203 or NP205 and as much as 6-8" of suspension lift running as large as 40" tires on 80 and earlier trucks including a GMC Jimmy I had with 6" suspension lift, 3" body lift and 40s Monster Mudders in my earlier days.

For a quick fix you might jack up the transfer case and remove the cross member bolts from the frame, then put the spacers between the cross member and frame spacing it down and drive it again.

Many of the reputable Lift Kit companies claim you need a transfer case lowering kit on 4" and larger lifts. Using the factory spacers and 30 mins of your time might show this is all you need.

Last edited:

Pig Pen

That is why I just keep all mine stock. I don't need to rethink any of the engineering that went into the original drive train design. And everything works as planned. Millions of dollars were spent designing these vehicles and for the most part it was well spent and the design was flaw less. Add a few dollars worth of modifications and that throws the million dollar design into the dumpster. That is my opinion on this. I seen a lot of nice trucks go down in value because of lift kits and exhaust modifications. Also with the ever changing vehicle code laws. The cops love to single out easy targets to cite for vague vehicle code laws. My sons M1028 is proof that I never want a lift kit. He works on it more then he drives it and is always being ticketed for something that deals with height and tire size. Not this guy.
Read this in a whiny voice because I'm sure that's what he sounded like when he was wrighting this

Chaski

Excellent. That sounds like that will work. Amazing how close math was to reality with you measuring 8 degrees and me calculating 8.something degrees.

I think you will be happy with the six degree shims.

cucvrus

Read this in a whiny voice because I'm sure that's what he sounded like when he was wrighting this
Hey Pig Pen try using spell check. It makes your pointless statement more effective. No wrighting going on here. Sounds like a lot of whining on your end. Have a nice day.

I installed the 6 degree shims today and the vibrations are gone. Note that I installed them with the thick side forward to point the diff down. Party on wayne.

Pig Pen

Hey Pig Pen try using spell check. It makes your pointless statement more effective. No wrighting going on here. Sounds like a lot of whining on your end. Have a nice day.
ha ha ha, my bad "writing".

welpro222

I ran into the same problem with my 4 inch lift w/ blocks in the rear. I removed the tapered blocks and installed flat blocks to bring the pinion down to the same plain as the transfer case end. I still have vibrations, so I may need to change out ujoints.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks