• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How often do you use low range

Gunfreak25

How often do you guys find your using low range on the road? Loaded or unloaded. Say you have 5000lbs in the bed and your on level ground, is low range usually necessary to get moving? Just an example, of course.

tlessin86

Personally, on level ground with a load of only 5000 you could stay in the high range. Only on rare occasions have i found myself in low. Up a big hill might be a different story. Hope this helps!

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How often do you guys find your using low range on the road? Loaded or unloaded. Say you have 5000lbs in the bed and your on level ground, is low range usually necessary to get moving? Just an example, of course.
As you describe it, never. I would never try to shift from low range to high while moving, I don't think it's made to do that. First gear high range is low enough to get you moving. And 5K in the bed is the max. capacity for off road, you can go 10K on the highway. Empty, I often would start out in 2nd.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
As you describe it, never. I would never try to shift from low range to high while moving, I don't think it's made to do that. First gear high range is low enough to get you moving.
It was indeed disigned to do that....old school commercial trucks had two transmissions....the deuce has a transmission and transfer case.....the idea is that you get a heavy load moving using low range (less strain on the drive train) and then shift into Hi.

Low range is good for low speed manuvering since it will keep you from having to use "granny low".

When backing up it allows you to go slower and not get the bouncy effect that high range causes.

I use low range even when empty.......split shifting is an aquired art but gives you two extra gears if you want them.

When loaded you can start off in 2nd....again you can skip 1st gear and its short run out speed.

Last edited:

91W350

I use it daily to back up into the drive behind the garage, makes the rapid steering needed to avoid the other trucks, low hanging limb and 6.2 in the crate that is back there. 8) I always use it when backing a M105 trailer, what a frustrating act...

Editing to add that I use it when I want to scoot a little quicker on the road or to start a load uphill or in sandy conditions. I go ahead and take off in low second, then run through to fifth, shifting to high and back to 4th then to 5th. It knocks some of that huge drop from 3rd to 4th out as well under load. It is amazing how nicely the transfer does shift up and down. I use it a lot when flat towing another deuce as well for the same reasons, easier to get rolling and to avoid the huge rpm drop. Glen

Last edited:

Big Z

We've a pretty good load of water and equipment in our FDs deuce, and I just ease the clutch out without additional throttle to take off in high/1st. As far as hills, I generally go to low range as soon as I'm on scene, off-roading, but never use low range other than that. No different in my personal deuce, which so far I've only used empty. On-road, high range, off-road, low.

BlizzardX23

Never new about the reverse in low...I only use low range when I'm out 4x4ing (6x6ing)...you know what I mean...

I HATE that stupid bounce when reversing...I'm gonna try it in low now...thanks! :)

I use low range around my house to go slow and when I don't want to turn the engine faster then I really need to . on rough dirt roads I only use the low side . but on level ground and road ways only a few times when pulling a trailer on hills .

Gunfreak25

Thank you for the replies everyone. I ask this because I was wondering how much weight my GMC will be able to carry with no low range. You loose low range in these trucks when you loose the original Hydramatic, it's a common thing. It's no big deal, really. It's going to be an asphalt queen for the rest of it's life and I doubt i'll have anything heavier than some beer cans in the cargo bed. I guess I would just like to know if it will live up to it's max weight rating without the low range. On the pavement, of course. There's no real hills in Yuma to speak of. With the Th400 and 6.17 axles 1st gear will still be a low 17.60 to 1. I think that is pretty good for "high range".

scopionf89

I have shifted to to low rang on the move mostly wile climing steep hills wile I was loaded to 25,000 pounds driving croscountry. I allways start out in seckond gear High range wile on flat ground. I have talked to a lot of retired vets and some of the guys that are still in that used to drive duces in the servis they told me the same thing.

Goose2448

I dont know it all, by any means, but I though I remember reading that starting off in 2nd with the spicer was a bad idea. Always first and always double clutch between first and second. I could be wrong though

Gunfreak25

Thank you for the reassurance everyone. And I know I won't be having any reliability issues with the Th400. You gotta love gears.

Boy when you ask a question you sure get an answer. There should be a "thank everyone" button. :beer: I apologize for posting this GMC related question in the M35 section, it seemed like the best place though.

Last edited:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey it's your transmission & clutch, go right ahead with the 2nd gear high range take off's.
With mine it's 1st gear High range or 2nd gear low range for take off.
I use low range often, along with split shifting.

gunfreak25

You should be fine for your stated use with a TH400,
a 4L80 has a lower 1st gear and an overdrive.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always start in 2 low then 2 high and so on if I'm unloaded. With load I use 2 low then 3 low and so on. When you realy know your truck you will shift using the best combation that put the less strain on the clutch/ drivetrain.
I also wind out every gear shifting just short of the gov. till I know she is rolling well and can hold at or around 1850-1900rpm with out lugging.

I only use first gear if I am on soft ground and hold it around 1900 rpm till the ground is stable/ tightened up then go for second low.
As for double clutching my IH ask's for the transfer case to be double clutched. If and when I might do it in the Deuce it is the same double clutch the transfer just shift the transmission.
If you start in second gear low then second high you will only shift 5 times and your ground speed will pick up faster than if your ran all low then 4th and 5 th high and you will leave most outhers behind cause they have to shift two more times than you.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks