• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How Quiet can you make a m1009?

road2damascus

I know, why would you want to do a thing like that? I run a plowing company and have an opportunity to buy mint m1009/m1008 or several for $4000 each. I have read and think that this truck would be a beast when it comes to plowing. My clients are million dollar homes, private lanes, apt. complexes, and businesses that do not want to hear the roar of the 6.2 diesel. I have driven both a m1009 and m1008. How much quieter would hood insulation, intake suppressor, and a good quiet exhaust make it? Would it be comparable to the sound modern diesels make or am I trying to pound a square into a circular hole with this idea? Thanks for any help.

MIKE

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They're loud to begin with. Insulating the engine compartment is your best bet. It will absorb some of the noise. I don't think the exhaust contributes much to the excess noise level.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If it has good mufflers (Flowmasters) you will hear the rattle of the engine rather than the noise from the exhaust.....we had a real problem when using them as OPFOR vehicles because you could hear them long before you saw them.

road2damascus

Thanks for all the replies. Do most agree that it can be as quiet as any other diesel in pickups with a little dampening? Oh there is no way I would convert to gas. To me that would be like castration. I WANT and NEED the diesel only need to tame it. I am experienced with turbo charging. I had a twin turbo Supra that was modified and modified and modified. Whats a turbo kit for these cost new?

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say insulate the firewall--- inside & out------ hood underside, fender wells, inside cab floor & walls, and if possible add a few sheets of sound/insulation behind the door panels.

Milbikes

I have 6.5 diesels, and my 6.2. They are pretty similar in volume outside, it is IN the cab where the 6.2 is much louder. I think they are no louder than a Cummins or Ford on the outside. To us the CUCV seems loud because our point of observation is inside the truck. H.

Capt.Marion

They do seem to be much quieter outside the truck.

When you're in the truck, you've got all of the engine and road noise contained by the body and reverberating inside... it's like listening to a rock band in a tin can.

OL AG '89

Tell the Millionaire your plowing for that they are PRIVILIDGED (sp) to have the HONOR of their property being maintained by one of the finest MV's ever built!!!!

Or possibly find the secret of the Blue Thunder Chopper and switch on "Whisper Mode"
Remember you're "JAFO" unless you're flying it!!!!

road2damascus

Turn the key counterclockwise. That's good stuff. Love the humor. I am not worried about the inside. One of my favorite vehicles to plow with is a 94 Jeep Wrangler 4cyl. Manual trans hard top no carpet or sound deadening material on the inside. I usually plow in 4L with high RPMS so it is LOUD inside. I thank you all for the humor and helpful comparisons. I am going to get a m1009 as a daily driver for this spring summer fall and work on it. This site is so valuable and have learned much. It also seems to draw good people as well.

Mike

jimmy-90

When I put an intake resonator on my truck to quiet down the noise that comes out of the top of the motor I also took the air cleaner assembly and cleaned it and then sprayed it with a couple cans of rubberized undercoating inside and out. When I tapped my knuckle against the undercoated metal it made a noticable difference in how loud it tinged. Also you could try spraying a bunch of cans of undercoating over your oil pan. I don't know of anyone on here that has tried that yet but it might make a small difference. LOL just don't spray it on the inside of your oil pan. I don't remember which brand of undercoating that I used but the first brand that I tried wasn't fluffy enough to do what I was trying to do. The second brand was very fluffy and worked pretty good though.

edpdx

Undercoating! Yep, I am going with that when the sun comes out again. I plan on shooting as much of the wheel wells as possible. May try to spray the inside of the hood :neutral:.

I have some of the sound mat sheets to slip into the doors and on the inside firewall under the new mat I bought.

Lastly I am using the same SEM spray-in liner I used in my pick-up. Mixed with some of the 383 green, it comes up thick- for the floor from under the back seat through the tailgate and up the sides and wheel wells.

road2damascus

I know alot of Jeep guys use some paint called Al's liner for their floorboards, wheel wells and tub. I also know there there is pulverized rubber that you can mix with the paint to make a "undercoating" type material. There are kits that come with the spray gun as well. Price tag is above $100.

road2damascus

Found this stuff called HNR from Al's liner for $70 a gallon. It claims it is a temperature barrier and sound deadener. Can be sprayed, rolled or brushed on and can be top coated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks