• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to ID generators?

ida34

How about having him send a couple of pictures of the complete data plate. You have a partial NSN and the part showing what generator set it is would be in the same line as "generator set".

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Post a pic of the whole thing, I bet we can guess pretty close. Do those have the acoustic enclosures on them?

Isaac-1

That looks to me like the numbers for a MEP-701a (MEP-016B with an ASK), it is my best guess that the T89 and T90 refer to 1989 or 1990 either construction date or revision date for the MEP-701a housing. the -24P manual for the MEP-016B is TM 5-6115-615-24P which matches the partial number that can be seen in the photos. My MEP-701a has a T-89 number on it, when I removed the top cover to gain access to the unit, the MEP-016B cover below shows a 1988 built date.

Ike

P.S. for some reason the MEP-002a and MEP-003a just added -A or -ASK and were field retrofit for the ASK sound suppressing housings, where as the MEP-016B was renamed MEP-701a when the ASK was added as a depot service operation. This may be due to the ASK installation being more complex, requiring installation of electrical cooling fans, threaded inserts in the frame, etc.

Last edited:

Ohnny101

Thanks for the help guys, I asked for more pictures but never got them, guess he got tired of messing with me. That's fine 3k is a little smaller than I was hoping for anyway. I'll keep looking. Thanks again.

ida34

If he is not even willing to properly identify what he has to sell then I would say you should not deal with him anyway.