• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to ID generators?

ida34

How about having him send a couple of pictures of the complete data plate. You have a partial NSN and the part showing what generator set it is would be in the same line as "generator set".

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Post a pic of the whole thing, I bet we can guess pretty close. Do those have the acoustic enclosures on them?

Isaac-1

That looks to me like the numbers for a MEP-701a (MEP-016B with an ASK), it is my best guess that the T89 and T90 refer to 1989 or 1990 either construction date or revision date for the MEP-701a housing. the -24P manual for the MEP-016B is TM 5-6115-615-24P which matches the partial number that can be seen in the photos. My MEP-701a has a T-89 number on it, when I removed the top cover to gain access to the unit, the MEP-016B cover below shows a 1988 built date.

Ike

P.S. for some reason the MEP-002a and MEP-003a just added -A or -ASK and were field retrofit for the ASK sound suppressing housings, where as the MEP-016B was renamed MEP-701a when the ASK was added as a depot service operation. This may be due to the ASK installation being more complex, requiring installation of electrical cooling fans, threaded inserts in the frame, etc.

Last edited:

Ohnny101

Thanks for the help guys, I asked for more pictures but never got them, guess he got tired of messing with me. That's fine 3k is a little smaller than I was hoping for anyway. I'll keep looking. Thanks again.

ida34

If he is not even willing to properly identify what he has to sell then I would say you should not deal with him anyway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks