• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to know if my 6.2l is running as it should

cpf240

Is my 6.2l running as it should? I'm new to diesels, and have owned my M1009 for almost 3 months now. Other than one issue with the GP relay, it has always started and driven fine.

My question, which may be me just worrying / wondering for no reason, comes from not really knowing how it *should* preform. It sounds like most diesels I've heard over the years.

From a dead stop, it feels like it has trouble getting out of its own way. Is that just the nature of the diesel / gearing, etc? Are there any 0-60 times listed? I've had it up to 60 - 65 on the highway, according to the bouncing speedometer needle and the GPS.

It has had all the fluids and filters changed, running standard pump diesel with the Seafoam additive in the tank as well as some 2-cycle oil. There is little to no smoke on startup. The shift points feel correct based on what I've read here, and I did have to replace the vacuum lines. The only leak it has is from the rear main seal, which I'm hoping the new CDR valve will correct.

I don't think there are any issues with the brakes or hubs / bearings, as there has been no indications they are getting hot, etc.

Again, this is probably just me not knowing what to expect. I'm happy with the truck, and enjoy working on it with my boys. Thanks to everyone on SS for all the useful info posted here!

txmytx_catahoula

With just 135hp and all that steel, they ain't no sports car. I've never put a stop watch on anything that's off road capatible, so long as they do 0-60 in the same day. If you haven't checked your IP timing, you might try that. I lined my witness marks up, while some put I a hair to the drivers side. My m1009's IP was WAY off and it really affected the acceleration and top speed, though it did haze a little at startup. Good luck!

jeeplvr247

They are not the fastest vehicles in the world. If you are wondering whether or not it sounds right there are alot of people who put cold start and acceleration videos on craigslist of their '09s and alot of them you can hear the engine really well.

USAWEAPON777

There not very fast. However, I understand where your coming from. My m1008 wont pull a steep hill at 50 with the pedal to the floor. She's pretty slow especially when loaded. I'd like to see if the injection pump needs turned up after all these years of wear, but your pretty much going in blind if you don't install an egt gauge to make sure you don't turn it up too much.

stampy

Sounds like you need to remove your speedo cable to clean and lube it. Min bounces up till about 15mph but after that it's smooth! My m1009 is slow off the start but will run well on the highway 70+MPH. When towing a load it can be a dog but hey, it's not really made for that either. I replaced the square filter with a spin on and I think that helped with fuel flow. It definitely helped with changing filters!

cucv1833

Mine starts and gets up to hwy speeds (65mph) so I guess thats good enough. For sure not a power house but gets the job done. I never hot rod it and keep it well maintained.

I always think the same thing thats somethings not at a 100%. It will barely climb up a bridge :?

cpf240

Thanks to all for the responses. I had read others saying they could spin the tires, but I don't think mine will do that at this time.

I looked for the witness marks on the IP, but can't see them, even after cleaning the area. Are there any pictures showing what they usually look like? I mean, besides just a scratch between the two parts? I tried using the google "site" trick to search but didn't come up with any pictures of the witness marks. I did learn how to adjust the fuel though, should I decide to try that.

With regards to the bouncing speedometer, mine only starts bouncing when I get up to 60 or so. Since I'm not on the highway with it all that often, cleaning / greasing the speedo cable has not been high on the list to do.

Its funny... I have long lists of things I want to do, but every time I think about doing one small one I get hung up on the "while I'm in there I should also...." routine. You know...

"I'm going to take the dash apart to clean and paint the instrument clusters and while I'm in there I should grease the speedo cable and while I'm doing that I should replace the shocks, and as long as I have the shocks off I should pull the leaf springs for cleaning and repainting and while the paint is drying I'll replace all the weather strips......"

Then my head explodes and I don't get anything done!

stampy

I decided to take on at least one project a week for a few months on my CUCV and I tell you it makes a huge difference. When you do take the dash out to remove the instrument cluster, get 2 small speakers if you want to install a radio later you can put them in and run cable now. There are ports at each corner. I went ahead and cleaned my instrument cluster also and painted the inside silver and NOW I can see my instruments at night. I also cleaned/ replaced bulbs and greased them with dielectric grease but there is a better grease for that now. (HUGE DIFFERENCE). While you have it out you can reach in the speedo and pull the cable out. I cleaned the connection and the cable with degreaser the relubed it with trasmission fluid. Also I removed every fuse from the fuse block and scraped them with arazor to clean any corrosion (stuff went to working after that) Mine has a power rear window (added from a civy version) dual inverters 110v and 240v (the 110 is under the dash and the 240 is connected where the big radio used to be using the same cable. I put black rubber sound deadening(kflex) foam insulation in near the wheel wells in the bed and the silver insulation in the door panels. I also painted everything plastic black, which I think look great. My truck has a sony cd player too and 12v accessory cluster a CB and push button glow plugs (even though I kept the old system installed (disconnected) just in case I want to go back to it. Mine also has a spin on fule filter (easy filter changes!) and I removed the front battery bracket and have my 2 optima red tops connected and locked down on the top bracket. I put in a cold air intake by removing the knockout in the front (near the slave plug) and fabricating a bracket. The intake tubing was $19.99 at autozone ( makes starting it with either less dangerous if you ever lose the glowplugs also. Mine has a hitch with the trailer plug. Until it fried, I even had a trailer brake controller (the new one is in but not wired yet) . I have plans for putting in new seats and repainting as I am only about 1/2 way through with the camo. Decide what is most important for drivablity and take a couple of hours here and there. The radio was first for me!

Terracoma

Its funny... I have long lists of things I want to do, but every time I think about doing one small one I get hung up on the "while I'm in there I should also...." routine. You know... Then my head explodes and I don't get anything done!
Trust me when I say that you're not alone in this... Not by a long shot!

All I got accomplished this weekend was changing the oil, so don't feel too bad. ;)

cpf240

All I got accomplished this weekend was changing the oil, so don't feel too bad. ;)
Well, all I got done last week was changing the CDR valve. Finished that and then took it for a drive to pick up my son from school. My son then puked all over the front seat and floor. Did I install the CDR valve wrong, or is it just defective? :)

cpf240

How would one re-lubricate a speedometer cable?
I have not gotten around to this yet, but... you can disconnect the speedo cable from the back of the gauge and then pull the inner cable, the part that turns, out of the outer sheath. It will be long and very dirty. Then you can clean it and lube it with atf or some form of grease. Then just work it back into the outer sheath.

Ken_86gt

I was going to lube my cable- but I bought a new one for only $18 from one of the vendors. The effort to take it apart to clean vs buying a new one made my decision easy.

cpf240

I was going to lube my cable- but I bought a new one for only $18 from one of the vendors. The effort to take it apart to clean vs buying a new one made my decision easy.
I've thought about that as well, but have been worried about getting a cable that is too short. Seems a few here have had that happen.

stationjj

I had to replace my speedo cable recently. I found one on Ebay. The part Number is GM 25932661. It fits perfectly.
At first I ordered one from LMC that connects to a TH400 transmission on a 4WD Chevy. It was too short.

CPF240 thanks for your post. Like yourself and very new to diesels as well. I have also wondered the same thing concerning my engine.
I also will check my IP timing.

stationjj

txmytx_catahoula

To lube the speedo cable, I pulled it loose of the speedometer, disconnected the other end from the trans. The speedometer end has a little cup at the end that I filled with a penetrating oil, then I put a drill on the trans side and ran it for a few minutes. It made a world of difference in my speedo readings.

I had to replace my speedo cable recently. I found one on Ebay. The part Number is GM 25932661. It fits perfectly.
At first I ordered one from LMC that connects to a TH400 transmission on a 4WD Chevy. It was too short.
HI stationjj

I just got the other part number (88959480) that you recommend in this thread... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?99005-Replacement-Speedometer

The GM Part Number should be 25032661. That's the part number on the box for cable that fit my M1009.
GM Parts Giant has them listed for $45. It seems that Part Number 25032661 was replaced with Part Number 88959480.
Hope this helps.
stationjj
That cable is too short.

So have you found that GM part #25932661 fits correctly?
I will plan to exchange my part, but wanted to confirm your findings.
If so you might consider editing that previous thread so others don't get shorted. :)

Thanks.

86M10086.2L

Has anyone tried cleaning the speedometer cable and using graphite powder to lube it? Like they use for bicycle brake and shifter cables? I would think in the long run it would be better because it wouldn't freeze or gum up or get hard. Just a thought.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks