• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to make a replacement "Axle Switch" Hose

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All, I've been searching for info on replacing the rubber air hose that goes to my front axle air shift switch. It started leaking the other day, and can now be heard while the truck is running. Usually drains the tanks in about 15 min after turning off the engine.

Well I read here on SS, about some people had replaced the hose to their air gauge, using brass hose barbs, sliding new air hose over the barbed ends, and then using band/worm clamps on the hose.

Here is the thread that I'm referring to: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/31348-dm22630-how-fix-leaking-air-pressure-gauge-line.html

First: Is this reliable at 120 psi (which is what this truck is currently set at) ??

Second: Can I use this same method and replace the hose that goes to the front axle air shift switch?

Has anyone done this??

Thanks for any input!

Last edited:

shenkmen

I can't answer your question but can tell you that you can take your old hose to a local hose shop and have them make you a new one. Look up "hydraulic hoses". They'll make anything for you. Air, brake, oil lines, etc...

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally, I'd just use plastic DOT air line. It's easy to work with and DOT approved for vehicle air systems.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the shop i worked in used the barbed brass fitting and a hose clamp and the psi was at least 120 so it can hold the psi, but im not sure if being on a truck would cause any vibration problems

Yeah my Dad was telling me that he used to do this for his shop hoses when they would break. But that is a good point about the vibration they would have to sustain in a deuce.
Thanks!

Last edited:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ty and all, I have never seen the plastic air line run all the way to an axle. I would think that exposure to movement from the axle, vibrations and wind buffeting could stress the ferrule coupling area.

Rubber would be a better material selection I think. Plastic is too stiff. But I have used plastic tubing for runs along the frame where the tube is secure.

Rick

steelandcanvas

Have you visually narrowed it down to the hose? I thought my hose was leaking also and it was the axle air shift switch itself. A little rubber O ring took care of that problem. Just a thought.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ty and all, I have never seen the plastic air line run all the way to an axle. I would think that exposure to movement from the axle, vibrations and wind buffeting could stress the ferrule coupling area.

Rubber would be a better material selection I think. Plastic is too stiff. But I have used plastic tubing for runs along the frame where the tube is secure.

Rick
Well we are in the deuce mod forum so I'd assume we are dealing with a deuce. There are no air lines going to the axle on a deuce. I think he's talking about the line that goes from the air switch to the transfer case.

You are correct about using rubber hose going to the axle (where there is lots of movement) in a air brake truck.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, the hose is only about 18" inches long. It just goes from the front axle air shift switch up to the block on the firewall. Doesn't have to move or flex, it just sits there.

Speaking of which, I just replaced it today, and ended up using barbed fittings (1/4" inch thread to 1/4" barb), a couple adapters (to adapt the one to the switch down to 1/8" inch), thread sealant tape (the thicker "yellow type" used for natural gas lines, fuel lines, and other chemicals), 2 good worm style hose clamps, and some good quality air hose from a local hose company.

The air hose was only about $0.79 a foot and is the double sleeve/lined type. Its also rated to 200 psi. The guy I spoke with said using the barbed fittings and good clamps, should work just fine with-out any problems.

I wanted to try this and see how well it works. If no problems, it's an easy fix, and the few simple parts can be found just about anywhere if I ever needed to do a field repair.

So I replaced that hose, fired up the truck, got it up to 120psi, let it run abut 10 min or so, didn't hear the leak anymore, so I shut the truck down. Once the engine was off, I could hear a tiny air leak under the dash. :roll:
At first I thought it might have been the hose I just replaced. But after doing so searching around under the dash, I located the source, and found out it was the other hose going from the firewall to my new air gauge that I just replaced earlier this week. And once again I can feel it leaking from around the crimped fitting, but this leak on the air gauge hose is Not nearly as bad as what the axle shift switch hose was, and could only be heard with the truck off, and even then I had to really search for it... but its still a leak.

Well since I already have some extra air hose, I'm going to get some more brass barb fittings and adapters (which I should have gotten 2 of each today anyway...:doh:), and I'll replace the air gauge hose using this method as well.

When I go to replace the air gauge hose, I'll take some pics of everything and post an update.

Thanks All!

Last edited:

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you visually narrowed it down to the hose? I thought my hose was leaking also and it was the axle air shift switch itself. A little rubber O ring took care of that problem. Just a thought.
Good Point SteelandCanvas, I think I read about that in a thread you posted to somewhere on here, when I was first re-searching about the air hoses.

But in my case, it was the air-hose after all. I could actually feel the air coming from around the crimped fitting.

Although my air shift switch isn't leaking. It might be a good idea to replace the o-ring at some point just as a preventative measure since it is 20+(?) years old.

Thanks for the Tip! [thumbzup]

jesusgatos

Rick
The DOT plastic tubing will be fine as long as you do a good job of routing and securing it. That's what it was made for, and ARB air lockers use a similar type of plastic tubing. If you want to give it a little bit of extra abrasion resistance where it might rub on anything, slide a piece of appropriately-sized rubber fuel tubing over it to protect it.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DOT Plastic tubing should work just fine. And like j.g. said, if you're worried about something rubbing, just slip some rubber gas line, or heater hose, over that specific spot and you're good to go.

In my case, I'm just replacing hose that is under the dash, which are no longer than 18 inches. They just connect the air gauge and the front axle air switch, to a hard line (copper line) right on the firewall.

i used rubber air line hose to replace these old hoses, but even here, with the right fittings, I could have used DOT Plastic air line instead.

I'll try to post an update with photos tomorrow.

Thanks All!

Last edited:

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just wanted to post an update.

Both Hose Replacements are complete, and I can't hear any more leaks! :mrgreen:

As a matter of fact, after installations was complete, and got the air pressure up to 120 psi, ran the truck for a bit, then turned it off.
After turning the truck engine off, I messed with the front Axle Air Shift Switch (found out the light was working), and a few other things. Then I left and came back about 4-5 hours later, and the air gauge was still showing about 50psi. So yes there's a slow leak somewhere on the truck (or possibly just tiny leaks in multiple locations) but nothing that is large enough to hear, and it at least holds air for a reasonable amount of time.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a deuce that will hold 60 psi or more air, after it sits overnight?

In any case, the custom replacement hoses seem to work just as good as the originals. And they are easier to install, and will be even easier if I ever need to replace them again in the future, as all that has to be done is loosen a couple hose clamps, removed old hose, install new hose, and re-tighten hose clamps.

I know that
dm22630 took some photos and showed what he did in his thread on replacing these (a big thanks to dm22630 for his thread!), but I thought I would post some pics too.

So I took a few photos when I went to replace the 2nd hose, which was the hose for the air gauge. You can see all the pieces that it takes, and how simple it is to do. The hardest part is removing the old hoses.... aua
I also took a couple photos after they were installed as well:

Attachments

jasonjc

I know that this "works" but is it legal??? After all the air system does also work the brakes. Just asking here, not tring to start any thing.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well that is partially true. The air system actually assists your brakes, but does not run them entirely. From what I have read (as I have never had it happen to me, and hope I never do) If you do loose your air pressure, you still have brakes, but you will have to "stand up on the pedal" to stop the truck, as you no longer have the air pack providing power assistance.

And yes if you loose air, it will more than likely take a longer than normal distance to stop the truck, due to the driver having to put more force on the pedal to get sufficient pressure.

In any-case, these airlines are no more dangerous of blowing than the originals. The originals were crimped, these have hose clamps. But the weakest link is still the rubber hose itself. As long as the rubber hose is in good shape (which my old ones were not) they will be fine, and are designed to hold more pressure than what the deuces air system can put out.

You have a valid question though. I would never do anything that I didn't think was safe, and I also pulled from other peoples knowledge and experience as well.

Now, for the 2nd part of your question "can it pass inspection" I honestly don't know. That will be up to your state. We've never had a problem here with any inspectors though so far. The only time this truck has been inspected here, is when we first brought it home and went to plate it, and they didn't even really look it through or anything. They were more concerned with "vin" numbers and such for the most part.

Thanks for the Reply!