• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to Paint your Rims and not your Tires

DeucesWild11

Just wanted to share my new trick for painting rims.. I had in the past used masking tape or drop cloths tucked between the tire and rim and then it hit me yesterday.. Just use a piece of thin aluminum or flashing and curve it to the shape of the rim and put in-between the rim and the tire. This worked out great! Here is a pic incase I didn't describe it well enough..:grin:

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good idea. I have some half inch plate steel I could use.

I like working harder.................

;-)

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sandblasting guys use a product that is brushed on. Like water when it is applied and when the liquid evaporates, it has a light wax like coating left. After you spray the paint and let it cure, you wash the tire with water and the coating goes away.

Don't know what it is called but sure wish I had paid closer attention to the can...

dittle

Black tire, black paint....I'm not seeing an issue. Just be careful around the edge and you should have so little overspray that is won't be noticed. If anything you have a little extra UV protection at the bead.

DeucesWild11

Black tire, black paint....I'm not seeing an issue. Just be careful around the edge and you should have so little overspray that is won't be noticed. If anything you have a little extra UV protection at the bead.
True, I could have done that, but I want to shine up the tires a little and didn't want any issues after the fact. Doing it this way was no time at all, hold up the metal, spray..move..repeat.. I did need to use a wire wheel to take the beige pain off that someone else used on those tires.. I got them with about 80% tread..:beer:

Coondawg

Good idea with the flashing. If the tires and rims are off the vehicle you can make a ring out of poster board to shield the tire from the rim. Eastwood sells them, but you can make them just as easily. I think you did the right thing though by shielding the tire.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uhhh, dish soap works real good too. Just brush it on, spray and after the paint dries, hose it off.

wilfreeman

I did the masking tape thing on my tractor, but I might try the dishwashing detergent on my 'A1. I can't see spending money on the 3m stuff - everything they sell is $$$.

goldneagle

I used Vasoline to do the same thing as that liquid. i used a cheap disposable brush to apply the Vasoine. After the paint fired real good I used some paint thinner to remove the residue.

Works great on small diameter tractor mower wheels.2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks