• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how to soundproof the humvee

papaydsailor

hi guys, im new here. just purchased this 1989 m998 with 6.2 diesel v8 engine. but after driving it for 30 min my ear was ringing. can you guys give me info how & what to do to soundproof the engine noise. i already sprayed the under body near the engine with tar paint but didnot help. also can i change the engine on this year model with faster engine? it can only go 75 on freeway.

DicedDeuceMan

hi guys, im new here. just purchased this 1989 m998 with 6.2 diesel v8 engine. but after driving it for 30 min my ear was ringing. can you guys give me info how & what to do to soundproof the engine noise. i already sprayed the under body near the engine with tar paint but didnot help. also can i change the engine on this year model with faster engine? it can only go 75 on freeway.

Got to spend more to go fast.
New trans, takeout 2k?
New transfer case to match 700?
Computer controler for it 800?
Wiring harness for it ?
New driveshafts (maybe) 300?
A2 fuel tank 150?
Labor for all this..
Priceless..

Also brakes burn off quicker when you drive freeway.

Noise reduction. Buy a civilian hummer... or all of the padding that is in one.

Welcome to driving a military vehicle.

TedG

Welcome to SS!

It is my experience that you will always have engine and drive train noise in a hmmwv. My latest build included dynamat on the tunnel (underside) and then factory insulation covering the dynamat. This helps a lot but it is still noisy. On the dog house cover, make sure you have a gasket installed and that there is insulation on the engine side of it. Another sound emitter is the gap between the hood and the a-pillar sill. Make sure you have the flaps installed. Finally on a 6.2na, the air horn should be the rubberized one, if not switch it or coat it.

You are going 75 in a 6.2na with standard drive train? If you are for any length of time, there is a good chance you will be broke down on the side of the road. My 6.5td with 4sp 4l80e, 242 tcase, 2.56 diffs = 85mph but its sweet spot is 70mph.

Enjoy your nice looking hmmwv!

Last edited:

BLK HMMWV

75mph in a 6.2 HMMWV

Wow you won't be doing that for long.
Ear plugs or head phones are the cheapest route to cut out noise.

You bought a military truck not a civi one.
Slow down and enjoy your ride.
You want to go fast and be able to hear, it won't be long untill you want A/C and a stereo you can hear.
Sell it and buy an H1 . or get used to going about 50-55.

They do have a rubberized floor mat that covers the floor area between the seats. It will cut out some of the noise and keep you from burning your right leg.

I'm curious how you got a 89 licenced for the highway in Calif. that must have been an interesting process.

deuceman51

Only 75 on the freeway????? A. why do you need to go faster than that? B. When do you plan on replacing the engine after you blow it up? They just weren't intended to operate like SUVs, they will go though almost anything, but if you want that type of speed, you need to buy a civilian model. My soldiers get an A** chewing if I catch them going faster than 55 with our M998's

saddamsnightmare

December 4th, 2009.

PAPAYDSAILOR:

Congrats on the HMMWV, now I suggest you go out and get a set of ear protectors, as Uncle wasn't worried about your hearing when he designed the HMMWV, like the deuces, they are noisy. If you want speed, trade it in for a civillian H-1 and prepare to cough up the money for it.... 75? Geez, a deuce is good for about 54 if you want to keep the engine in it. Military vehicles are generally not designed for speed, but for power in rough terrain. And you will want the ear protectors on the aforesaid rough terrain, as the creaking and groaning of the HMMWV frame and body will drive you nuts otherwise.....:-D!
These are fairly primitive vehicles, built to survive where most others can't go and take punishment that few can, freeway cruisers, not even in Baghdad would they be considered as fast trucks.... You were fortunate enough to be able to own a piece of military history, now treat it like you respect it, not like you stole it......TOO many civillians treat these trucks like stolen property and not like the veterans they are.
Just my .02
for what its worth,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

Wintermute

You could use something like b-quiet which is a sound dampening material for use in cars (I've used it commonly in standard passenger vehicles and it works quite well). The primary things to pay attention to are the methods of installation, and the fact that in a passenger car it's meant to be installed on bare sheetmetal underneath carpeting and such. Since it doesn't cure over time (it stays tacky indefinitely) and since it doesn't have an aesthetically pleasing quality, it's best to have it covered up. But it will reduce noise overall as long as your adequately cover the area in it. Remember that you end up with two primary reasons for noise transference throughout a vehicle; vibration and open airways. With vibration, most automotive sound deadening materials are heavy and flexible which provides a vibration dampening effect to the metal they are adhered to. For the open airways, you really need to seal things up and ensure you have a full covering across the surface with the sound deadening material. This will reduce direct noise transference through the air into the passenger compartment of the vehicle.

Hope that helps, I can provide links to some different sound deadening material providers as well as some advice if you need.

--Wintermute

Scarecrow1

Welcome to the site.. This is a great place to find a lot of answers to anything in the MV world ........So far as the noise sorry Hummer make a lot of there Trucks in the civilian market ,and it sounds like you have the funds to go for the top of the line . But if you want to go fast and be able to whisper while doing so, an MV ain't your ride

M725

wow you won't be doing that for long.
Ear plugs or head phones are the cheapest route to cut out noise.

You bought a military truck not a civi one.
Slow down and enjoy your ride.
You want to go fast and be able to hear, it won't be long untill you want a/c and a stereo you can hear.
Sell it and buy an h1 . Or get used to going about 50-55.

They do have a rubberized floor mat that covers the floor area between the seats. It will cut out some of the noise and keep you from burning your right leg.

I'm curious how you got a 89 licenced for the highway in calif. That must have been an interesting process.
ditto!

papaydsailor

Thanks for all the answers guys. i was gonna get a civi H1 after reading about the pros and cons of having the mil humvee, and i decided to get the later being not too common when you drive out there where i always get a thumbs up from the other cars all the time. but sometime i want to drive it out to fast lane to overtake the other cars and the big rigs that was following me when i drive it to work on my mil reserve weekend. the person that i bought it from who bought it from a surplus dealer who rent it out to movies said that i can drive it up to 75 only. i paid 170 to a private DMV for the license plate under commercial truck license. i will try the heat and noise insulation to cover the inside alum body that i just bought from pepboys and see if it will work although its not gonna make it the military look inside anymore. i want to put a radio later on so earplugs is not an option. will be driving it to the town xmas parade this weekend.

moleary

\ the person that i bought it from who bought it from a surplus dealer who rent it out to movies said that i can drive it up to 75 only.
The guy that told you 75 was ok was lying - period. I pushed mine at over 65 for an hour and cracked both heads - wound up dropping in a new engine. If you go 75 you WILL kill it.

My $.02 from expensive experience.

papaydsailor

i though he was because when i went to 60 at my speedometer the noise was too much so i slowed back down. i wasnt sure if it was the engine or the gear but he told me i can have somebody to adjust the gear to higher like the civ vehicle since he said that mil veh are low geared. question does your oil turn black right away after changing it and driving it for only 30 min. when i check my dipstick the oil was black after changing it and drove it only for 30 min.

If you own a HMMWV and driving that fast, should be only in the need to move under direct fire, IE..... IED, VBIED or some rag head shooting at you with a RPG or AK :evil:. But driving that fast in the free world is crazy :idea:, because some dumb ass will cut you off and these vehicles dont come with ABS so exspect to skid side ways and lose control. Bottom line not safe in a HMMWV.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks