• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how to soundproof the humvee

ClarkeF

i though he was because when i went to 60 at my speedometer the noise was too much so i slowed back down. i wasnt sure if it was the engine or the gear but he told me i can have somebody to adjust the gear to higher like the civ vehicle since he said that mil veh are low geared. question does your oil turn black right away after changing it and driving it for only 30 min. when i check my dipstick the oil was black after changing it and drove it only for 30 min.
In a diesel. oil turning black right after a oil change is normal. If you have the 3-speed tranny( No park in the shift selector) then as someone else said you _will_ be buying a new engine As your at red-line as those seeds. 55 to 60 is "safe". If you are fortunate to have the 4-speed w/overdrive tranny you can do 70-75, but the NA Motor will not be happy pushing that brick through the air at speed.

schindop

I had the same problem with noise and heat from the tunnel. Bought 1/2" foil face foam and lined the inside where I could get around and the engine area. Cut it down some. Still have a bunch left at $1 sq. ft. Had to buy 170 sq. ft. to get the deal. The company sent rolls of this stuff to Iraq for heat and noise. Let me know. -Peter

humslr

Civilian H1s are much quieter than the HMMWV, talk on cell phones etc. You'll never make a Humvee quiet. The civilian trucks are sound proofed when they're put together. It's cheaper to buy a civilian truck and paint it camo.

Barneyszoo

There are some web sights that sell lead sheeting as sound proofing works real good for noise but can't get to close to the exost or it can start to melt and sag away from the pannels you attatch it to

simoncrk

When I bought my M1038 HMMWV, I thought the noise was a little excessive as well. We just ease around on the ranch, and rarely get it on the highway. A guy has a store on ebay called "AmericanHummvee" and he suggested my fan clutch wasn't disengaging. After looking I decided he was right. So I bought three parts that he suggested, a temp. sending unit, module, and a solenoid and replaced them. now my fan clutch disengages and it is quieter until it heats up. also check to make sure you have the seal around the engine cover in the cab.
Hope this helps.:-D

papaydsailor

Thanks guys. i took a lot of the heat & noise out but not all by the sugestion that was given here. i plastered all the side wall of engine compartment including under hood and under transmission tunnel with the heat and sound proofing sheet that i bought at pep boys. it took me a lot of adhesive.

Snarky

If you own a HMMWV and driving that fast, should be only in the need to move under direct fire, IE..... IED, VBIED or some rag head shooting at you with a RPG or AK :evil:. But driving that fast in the free world is crazy :idea:, because some dumb ass will cut you off and these vehicles dont come with ABS so exspect to skid side ways and lose control. Bottom line not safe in a HMMWV.

You don't need ABS to stop a vehicle. My 99' F250 4X4 didn't come with ABS standard, and I don't need it to stop. Don't get me wrong, I like the vehicle stability control, the anti-lock brake system, and the traction control that exist in my Toyota, but those are no replacement for proper driving. I know that here in Texas they explained quick emergency stops for both ABS and non-ABS vehicles, they don't do that every where?

The HMMWV is similar the H1, and the newer 6.5 equipped HMMWV are capable of normal highway speeds. A HMMWV will be 70, 75, even 80 or 85, just not with a 6.2L. Regardless the braking system is plenty capable of stopping it. It's just that at higher speeds, you require a longer distance to stop like any other vehicle, so drive accordingly.

Wire Fox

Schindop can you.email me at 32sdnavy@gmail.com .. I wanna ask you some question
...I think you've got to work on this digging up very old threads thing. If you need to message people, I'd highly suggest clicking their name as it appears on the left of their posts, then select either "Send email" or "Private Message" to write to them directly. You're going to get much better results that way.

BLK HMMWV

You do know this is another 7 year old thread.
I would try sending them both an email .
They might not frequent the board much.
If you click on their names you should find the option of private message as well as email.
Good luck

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ryantee:

If sound is an issue there are several things..., but remember this is a Diesel, and a military Diesel at that so it was never meant for creature comforts.

LizardSkin-TM is a substance you want to look into. You spray sound deadening and then heat shield over it. If that is not enough, Dynamat tapes over it but Dynamat is unattractive IMHO so you will need to cover with fabric or carpet. LizardSkin is meant to accept paint.

Interior engine cover will need new gaskets and inside and out LizardSkin.

After all this, I would expect some acceptable deadening of sound but you will still be at a dull roar, especially driving at 75MPH in a vehicle designed for less.

MHO,

T

P.S. - Asking about threads that are 7 years old on any BB's might be difficult as people come and go. (Yeah, I'm new here, but I'm not new to Mr. Internet. I remember when Al Gore invented it. :) )

ryanruck

Saw this on page 1 so figured I'd add my bit of info to this necrothread. :mrgreen:

Just so happens today I got my sample box I had requested from db Engineering a couple days ago.

I told them in the request form what the application was for and that I was just an individual purchaser. They got back with me right away and let me know that while there were no minimum quantity or dollar amount orders, the products are only available in 10'x4.5' rolls. I told them that wouldn't be a problem as, if I decided to go with their product, I'd likely be ordering at least 2 rolls of the insulation (1 maybe 2 for underhood and firewall, 1 for under the drivetrain tunnel). Was mostly interested in their 1" and 2" thick Mylar engine compartment insulation and Military Green floormat.

They ended up sending me big samples of the stuff I was considering but also smaller samples of most all of their product line.

Here's what all I got...

Engine compartment insulation
IMG_2850.jpg

Military Green floormat
IMG_2854.jpg

Floormat texture sample
IMG_2853.jpg

IMG_2856.jpg

General product sample card
IMG_2852.jpg

IMG_2855.jpg

Impressions based on the samples...

The products seem really nice for the prices they have listed!

The Military Green floormat is pretty much identical to the factory floormat material in these trucks. It would of course need cut to desired size and shape. Also for you folks with tan trucks, as you may note on the sample card, it is available in Desert Tan which would be much better than sticking the green factory mat in there, in my opinion. The diamond plate mat is also pretty nice but no idea if that's available in anything other than black.

The engine compartment insulation seems really nice and pretty inexpensive. I think I'm going to go with the reinforced Mylar insulation then go with 2" on the firewall and under the drivetrain tunnel (assuming it clears after I do some checking) and, the 1" under the hood. Might even go 2" all around. The adhesive backing seems very strong! The only "con" to their engine compartment insulation I can find is that their design seems to use open cell foam as opposed to a butyl rubber (like Boom Mat or Dynamat). This means it will probably hold water so it might be a good idea to get their edge seal tape which comes in 1" or 2" widths for the appropriate insulation thickness. The upside to that is that it is going to be lighter weight and bit easier to work with.

Also, one product included on the card that looks interesting which I hadn't inquired about since I didn't need it is their headliner. If you've got a hard top truck, this might be something worth considering to help kill interior noise. They don't have a Military Green to match the floormat (you'd probably want to just do black) but, the Sandpiper color goes well with the Desert Tan floormat.

I also liked their other products they had on the card. If your're looking for traction, the Shur-Step friction tape seems heavy duty. It comes in 6"x20' rolls. And they also have a product called X-135 Gasketing which is a D shaped weatherstripping that might be good for sealing up your tailgate or sealing up door openings.

Looking forward to picking some of this stuff up! Will probably tackle this project in the summer time.

ryanruck

Ryanruck I wanna see pics of your insulation
Looking forward to picking some of this stuff up! Will probably tackle this project in the summer time.
:wink:

Only thing I've got in my truck currently for insulation is the previously mentioned Lizard Skin. You can probably find the post searching for Lizard Skin in this subforum. I posted some details on the application process.

Other than that just some heavy rubber horse stall mats from TSC cut to fit on the tunnel and floors which does help reduce sound.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks