• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Howdy from KS

big block 88

Hey all, how are we doin today?? I have been lurking this site as a non member for a while now and decided I would join up and try and help where I can.

Me and my old man have restored 7 duece and Halfs from the ground up to Vietnam Era specs, with our newest project being a bobbed duece with a twin turbo 12 valve cummins powersteering and a few other modern creature comforts. With summer coming the project will be on hold tell the winter comes agian.

Dad retired in 2003 with 33 years active duty in the 11th ACR, 3 tours in Vietnam 66-70. I was in Baghdad Iraq from 2007-2010 in the private sector DOD. So we are both pretty familiar with these rigs.

Anyway I am here to learn and help when I can.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard BB88 I am guessing that your BB name pertains to Chevy correct! Any chances that you could post some pics of some of your restorations I would love to see them or at least a couple they sound very interesting. Again welcome to the best site on the web and if your willing to learn there is a tremendous amount if information and first hand knowledge availalbe here!
KK

big block 88

Yes sir big block 88 was my old 1988 chevy 3500 454 60 over 4 speed manual restoration project

I have alot of pics of our restorations I will post them up for you guys when I get on my other computer that can resize them to fit. Thanks for the welcome, I'm already enjoying the sites collective knowledge

91W350

You are about 100 miles east of me. I was just up in your area roaming around the countryside. Interesting and beautiful, to say the least.. I had alway blown through your area and through KC on the Turnpike and never really spent time in the country. I did not see many military trucks, a red M37 southwest of the city. Glen

big block 88

It definately alot of fun, most of these trucks have sold but we have kept a few of our favorites in our own little storage area out of site so people don't offer to buy them. Our personal truck is named 'Sarge" after my dad who was a SFC for many years before going Warrant. Sarge has alot of little parts that people don't even know exsist or have never seen, we drive him quite a bit, but are looking to adapt the hydra steering off of a 5 ton to make driveing a bit easier on us.

outfitted

arctic Heater kit
Suspension seats
hardtop/ truck was a soft top but we have a few extra hardtops sitting in the shop
intake heater
cold weather nose cover
folding seat side racks/ bows and cover are off for summer

The truck is a whistler but we are needing more fuel we will be turning the screw up a bit here shortly, we are just trying to be safe about it so we don't hurt the old Multi Fuel mill

The soft top we built here last winter for our local car lot dealer, had an electric hydra hoist hidden under the bed unless you really looked you would never know it was a dump truck, but we are selling that truck

These trucks are a blast and there is just so much you can do to them with them. We are very excited about our Bobbed Duece project, the Herculees is coming out and we will be shooting for about 600 RWHP with a 12 valve Cummins, we would love to regear and make the truck able to cruise at highway speed but larger tires may be our only route?? Heater will be in possibly A/C we are checking for a small unit that would hide well, and a few other neat little tricks.

Last edited:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BB you have a VERY nice looking stable or trucks there, I saw a couple 109s also do you have ny words of advice about those, reason i am asking is Glen and I are both putting bids on a couple this week, any words of wisdom would be appreciated??
KK

madmachinistm1a1

Welcome to the site and thanks for posting pics of Sarge, thats exactly how I want my duece to look when I'am done. And not to mention thats the name I was kickin around to name it to:-D

big block 88

BB you have a VERY nice looking stable or trucks there, I saw a couple 109s also do you have ny words of advice about those, reason i am asking is Glen and I are both putting bids on a couple this week, any words of wisdom would be appreciated??
KK

109 Vans are not fun to paint, and I would highly reomend you get the Turbo motor, we had a "Dirty Burn" non-turbo and the other was a "Whistler" the performance of the Dirty Burns is pretty low and with that big box on the back wind hurts it pretty good.

If you do your research right on the 109's you can get some very neat options, our Dirty Burn is AC and Heat fancier lighting built in desk and 2 fold down bunks, we assume it was for a forward observer of high rank. The Whistler was just a repair truck had tool boxes built in and work benches.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks