• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hub Removal/Replace

coachgeo

shhhhhh... get some pop corn instead
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
and let things marinade a little :)
Won't be a popcorn event coming from me. Completely agree with LMTV722. third member in higher stress without reduction in hubs. Mentioned this more than once in here actually

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No doubt you are correct. What is your engine rpm at full throttle? Speed at that rpm? Whatever the rpm, at WOT and max speed of 55 for a normal truck, Georges will be at 110 theoretically.

If your truck is going 40 at 1800, then 55 mph would be 2475, calculated. Is that close?

thanks
Yes that is close. Mine is turning about 2350 at 50MPH, and 2500RPM is 55MPH. That is based on the tach and GPS.

Got a chance to talk to seller today. he's got 1200+ miles on the hub conversion. Most of that highway trip from GA to MO. It does drop into first gear when needed and it's not a sick snail on take off or hills. Say's it works thru all the gears just fine. Will obviously know more once I drive her. Honestly; I thought it would not have first gear available without being in one of the other modes, Apparently not the case.

I really don't plan to go much over 60 anyway. The old dieselized Unimog 404 once had was similar type driving. Like it, just looking for sitting in best spot can reach in engines power curve when in cruise mode yet still be able to offroad part of expeditions. Would be nice if that works with what I'm paying for upfront instead of having to buy 3rd members after the purchases. Icing on the cake; if they are switchable without major fuss. So far from what little overall we know and ya'lls thoughts here based on them/experience, that sounds doubtful.

Maybe I'll get lucky for once. Haha.... yeah right....... that's why like the fall back plan of having stock hubs to go back too.

I'll get a video of switch out from one hub to the other eventually if things seem to work though.
True 1st gear is only accessed by putting the transmission/transfer case into MODE, which you are not supposed to do on hard surfaces. Normally it only goes down to 2nd gear.

I am still not convinced, if the truck was so great and just the way he envisioned it, why is he selling?

on a different note. my truck is at 2400rpm when I drive 55mph. that is way past the sweet spot someone talked about. The fan clutch kicks on about every 5 mins. And fuel consumption goes up.
I found out the my truck likes driving at around 45mph best. That is at 2000 rpm. The temp stays around 200 and fan never locks. fuel consumption goes down a lot. I drove a 550 mile trip and my gas mileage came to 12mpg with a trailer in tow and going through rush hour. that is pretty neat.
My RPM seems a tad higher, but still close to what yours looks like. Good to know on the fuel mileage!

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just drove a bone stock LMTV 3000 miles through 5 states with a M101 in the back plus an apartments worth of stuff while towing a Jeep JK. It was totally fine. I would throw my hazards on when I got under 45 pulling grades and I can count on one hand the number of times that was required. Your truck your time your money but personally I don't think any of this fiddling is required. It's a good truck as-is.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/adventioneering/albums/72157666596683451
Thanks for sharing, that looks like a fun adventure.

Ukraine Train

I just drove a bone stock LMTV 3000 miles through 5 states with a M101 in the back plus an apartments worth of stuff while towing a Jeep JK. It was totally fine. I would throw my hazards on when I got under 45 pulling grades and I can count on one hand the number of times that was required. Your truck your time your money but personally I don't think any of this fiddling is required. It's a good truck as-is.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/adventioneering/albums/72157666596683451
Looks like an incredible trip! What kind of camera/lenses are you using? I'm impressed you went that far with the stock seats. After a couple hours in my truck I'm ready to bail lol.

aleigh

Those pictures were taken on a 5dmk2, sigma 20/1.4 (destroyed on trip, fell off the lmtv), canon 16-35/2.8L

I hated the seats more when I first got the truck. Could barely go a day. I figured out if you sit in them "properly" they can be quite serviceable. Gotta sit up straight like you are at a snooty dinner. Plus, didn't really do more than 3-400 miles on a big day. After sitting in one for 8 hours off-road on other trips, pretty much anything it does over the highway seems agreeable by comparison.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks