• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hub Removal Tool

DokWatson

Please pardon my mechanical ignorance here... but are there any tricks to removing the seal that holds in the inner wheel bearing? According to the TM, I need to remove the inner seal (18) but I'm not sure exactly how to do that.

In my picture I assume that #2 is the seal but #1 needs to come out first? Any advice?
I put the hub on the floor and use a long socket extension to remove everything. Goes back in the same way it comes out, then I tighten down the spindle nut as far as it will go to suck everything back into place. Back off the spindle nut, then torque to proper specs.

Wolf.Dose

O.K., I was wrong with the modell year of the change of the hub nut. Anyway I think it was a usefull advice.
Normally seals are set with a special tool to install then without demage. However, who has that on hand. So a peace of wood or something simelar of course will do it.
Normally the job is done with the propper tool and a press.
Wolf

SGT Estum

I was thinking a slide hammer might be handy for getting that inner seal off... any reason not to use that? It will make a nice addition to my tool collection 8)

Good advice on that spring - I definitely don't want that getting into my bearings!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, at the risk of getting chewed, I'll share my method of getting the seal out. Remove hub, outer wheel bearning nut, lock ring and inner wheel bearing nut. Now remove outer wheel bearing and re-install the outer, repear, outer wheel bearing nut onto the spindle. Screw it on until threads are exposed. Now grab the rotor and slide it off keeping downward pressure on it. Works quickly every time. As far as the 4 pt and 6 pt nuts, that confuses me. Every half/3/4 ton I've ever worked on had the 4 pt nuts and the Dana 60 and 14 Bolts had 6 pts. Mind you I've not done much on th 1009s except the 84 I had years ago. My 91 burb has the 4 pt nuts.

2deuce

I'm replacing the rotor on my daughters M1009 and saw this recent post. I too have only seen the 4 point nuts until now. This M1009 has a 6 point that is in the threads of the nut (inside) and it's smooth and round on the outside without the 4 slots that I have seen before. Does anybody know the tool number? My napa doesn't have it.
Thanks,
Greg

OddballJ

I'm replacing the rotor on my daughters M1009 and saw this recent post. I too have only seen the 4 point nuts until now. This M1009 has a 6 point that is in the threads of the nut (inside) and it's smooth and round on the outside without the 4 slots that I have seen before. Does anybody know the tool number? My napa doesn't have it.
Thanks,
Greg
When I tore mine down I actually had both a 4 and a 6 slot on the same hub. I went to the local Advanced auto parts store and rented a 5 piece hub removal socket set. I believe the one that ended up working mushroomed out and actually only had 4 teeth, but it worked. Good luck :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks