• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Huck bolt removal tool

Guruman

Not so new member
Nice anvil….. so the question is can you reuse it? Or is it just cut it off and toss it?
Thanks. I'm still looking for the right forge and tools to go with it. It's a 640 pound RatHole Forge, made in Jackson, WY.

I would not reuse it. First it was HARD to get off. All. The. Way.

Putting it back on would be the same, I suspect.

Also, this one bolt at least, the threads are not great after getting the huck nut off.

Ronmar

I was going to try that up in the lift structure frame, but I didn't have the adapter/socket combination I needed to employ my multiplier.

I did find, since it was dam difficult to cut them all off perpendicular in that lift channel, that any cut down thru the outer collar loosened its grip on the threads enough that my 1/2 air impact could spin them right off. It is a longer cut that way, and the perpendicular cut thru the collar right at the top of the nut was still faster and a one step process.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was able to unscrew one this morning. It was a lot of effort, but not a lot of drama.

I'm wondering if one of those torque multipliers would just back them off. May have to give this a try.
Some of them can be unbolted and some can't. Some are swaged on so tightly that they are basically cold welded. I personally wouldn't bother trying to unbolt them. Once you get the hang of cutting with a grinder and cut off wheel, it goes fast enough. I think I have cut probably 100 of them with the conversion project and removing the frame from the donor truck. I was not very good with a plasma cutter and ended up making a mess of the bolt that left it welded to the nut. To cut the ones located in the front crossmember, I cut down between the two and cut both at one time, plus some vertical cuts, and lots of hammering and such. If you try it this way you have to use a worn down cut off wheel for it to fit. The rest were not that bad. The inverted bolts I cut from inside the frame rail on the back side. All of the ones I have cut were done with the same cheap HF grinder and 4.5" cut off wheels. Make sure to wear eye protection as those wheels will sometimes frag and become projectiles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks