• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee beadlock rubber runflat replacement

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, this is kind of where my split is on the second half, it was a 4 door open top but I got the H1 alpha style wagon back conversion for overlanding from Plan B trucks, with a 3 inch body lift, to clear my 700 WHP Cummins, it’s kind of a roll of the dice on how old the tires I get are, I checked them for cracking often though I have a tire pressure and tire heat monitoring sensor set up from Tucson and I do have a spares mounted on the back generally, if you were going to have a blowout with these tires, will you see a heat increase and a pressure drop to give you enough time to slow down or do they just blow out out of nowhere on older tires?
With as much money as you've sunk into it, buying "roll the dice" tires seems kind of dumb to me.
New old stock tires, 2018 or newer and 100% tread can be had for a full set shipped around $1500.

You usually won't see any temp spikes right before failure unless you're doing something really wrong. The heat buildup is usually over time and weakens it, so you might be fine running for weeks on end low pressure at the beach, only to have the tires fail at high speed or vice versa.

The military uses run flat lubricant inside the tires with run flats, to minimize the heat buildup when the tire has no air in it. It would probably help if you have run flats and low pressure, but you can't count on it forever. The military has unlimited budget for replacement tires, and the tires are cheap compared to the overall vehicle and the people inside of it, so they could care less about destroying tires.

With everything that's been done to the truck, you might be better off with aftermarket wheels and tires, as modern tire and wheel design can typically be run down at 10psi without issues even without a bead lock. You'd also shave off a bit of weight/unsprung mass which will be helpful to you with that much power available.

One example of where to get newer date code tires

RPMRPM

With as much money as you've sunk into it, buying "roll the dice" tires seems kind of dumb to me.
New old stock tires, 2018 or newer and 100% tread can be had for a full set shipped around $1500.

You usually won't see any temp spikes right before failure unless you're doing something really wrong. The heat buildup is usually over time and weakens it, so you might be fine running for weeks on end low pressure at the beach, only to have the tires fail at high speed or vice versa.

The military uses run flat lubricant inside the tires with run flats, to minimize the heat buildup when the tire has no air in it. It would probably help if you have run flats and low pressure, but you can't count on it forever. The military has unlimited budget for replacement tires, and the tires are cheap compared to the overall vehicle and the people inside of it, so they could care less about destroying tires.

With everything that's been done to the truck, you might be better off with aftermarket wheels and tires, as modern tire and wheel design can typically be run down at 10psi without issues even without a bead lock. You'd also shave off a bit of weight/unsprung mass which will be helpful to you with that much power available.

One example of where to get newer date code tires
Yeah I don’t really like the idea either since not only is it money but it’s time Ive done all the work my self on the truck, I wanted to buy brand new tires but I couldn’t find anyone who makes a 37/12.5R16.5 but thanks for the link I never liked the idea of running way old tires I just didn’t realized I had a option to run newer ones even if they aren’t brand new, i don’t wanna go to aftermarket wheels I like the old humvee style wheel and I do a lot of wheeling with it so I really want the double beadlocks and the only other place that has wheels close to the humvee ones is mod mafia and I’m not paying 2,500 dollars a wheel FFS. Id you know if anyone who makes either a 37/12.5R16.5 or a 37/13.5R16.5 new I’d like to buy them if not I’m gonna order a set of those 18+ tires you sent the like to thanks so much again

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I don’t really like the idea either since not only is it money but it’s time Ive done all the work my self on the truck, I wanted to buy brand new tires but I couldn’t find anyone who makes a 37/12.5R16.5 but thanks for the link I never liked the idea of running way old tires I just didn’t realized I had a option to run newer ones even if they aren’t brand new, i don’t wanna go to aftermarket wheels I like the old humvee style wheel and I do a lot of wheeling with it so I really want the double beadlocks and the only other place that has wheels close to the humvee ones is mod mafia and I’m not paying 2,500 dollars a wheel FFS. Id you know if anyone who makes either a 37/12.5R16.5 or a 37/13.5R16.5 new I’d like to buy them if not I’m gonna order a set of those 18+ tires you sent the like to thanks so much again
Looking at the Tire Rack website, they have the GoodYear Wrangler Enforcer MT tires in stock at about $810-865 each for load range D and E.

Feltz also had them at something like $350 each for 2020+ date codes

RPMRPM

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I noticed that some of the 16.5 Interco tires were being discontinued by some sellers, I contacted Interco and told them they should not give up on the 16.5" tires as there were many HMMWVs being sold and they all needed tires, this was their response.

We don’t plan on it. We currently offer 78 various models for the 16.5 and have two new models (Cobalt Ground Hawgs) in a 38.5x15 and 17/40, both for 16.5s late this year.
Joey Arbogast
The Sales & Marketing Guy
Interco Tire Corporation
2412 Abbeville Highway | Rayne, LA 70578
Office: 337-334-3814 |800-299-8000 X2008
E-Mail: jarbogast@intercotire.com

RPMRPM

I noticed that some of the 16.5 Interco tires were being discontinued by some sellers, I contacted Interco and told them they should not give up on the 16.5" tires as there were many HMMWVs being sold and they all needed tires, this was their response.

We don’t plan on it. We currently offer 78 various models for the 16.5 and have two new models (Cobalt Ground Hawgs) in a 38.5x15 and 17/40, both for 16.5s late this year.
Joey Arbogast
The Sales & Marketing Guy
Interco Tire Corporation
2412 Abbeville Highway | Rayne, LA 70578
Office: 337-334-3814 |800-299-8000 X2008
E-Mail: jarbogast@intercotire.com
Oh shit, that’s awesome. I might find a reasonably priced set with about 50% tread for now and buy a set of those 40s, I wonder if they offer them in a 13.5R16.5 I think those would look awesome and I bet they would fit with the lift i had to do to stuff the Cummins in there thanks again for the information. Super appreciated.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh shit, that’s awesome. I might find a reasonably priced set with about 50% tread for now and buy a set of those 40s, I wonder if they offer them in a 13.5R16.5 I think those would look awesome and I bet they would fit with the lift i had to do to stuff the Cummins in there thanks again for the information. Super appreciated.
Just go to their web site and plug in the numbers in any order you want, of course 16.5 rim would be the first entry. They have some 39.5x13.5 ( ROK-08 ) I would like to try, seems like it would look right with a 2" lift
Holy cow they make a 49"-21-R16.5 man that's allot of rubber!!

Last edited:

RPMRPM

Just go to their web site and plug in the numbers in any order you want, of course 16.5 rim would be the first entry. They have some 39.5x13.5 ( ROK-08 ) I would like to try, seems like it would look right with a 2" lift
Holy cow they make a 49"-21-R16.5 man that's allot of rubber!!
Oh (HECK) a 49/21 that’s huge damn monster truck tires lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had trailworthy fab's beadlocks and Treadwright Guard Dog remanufactured tires on my M998 for three years and have not had any issues at all. I concede I haven't done much off road and don't drive weekly, but I still am pleased overall and cannot find fault with either product.
BDGR

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have Treadwright tires on my M998, (The Detroit) they did great until I put the 6L80 6 speed and GEP TD in and could easily cruise at 75MPH, now they seem to be not so round, not really noticeable at 65MPH :cool:
But that will be something the next owner can deal with...
They wear like iron and do well in sand!

Last edited:

Ajax MD

I have Treadwright tires on my M998, (The Detroit) they did great until I put the 6L80 6 speed and GEP TD in and could easily cruise at 75MPH, now they seem to be not so round, not really noticeable at 65MPH :cool:
But that will be something the next owner can deal with...
They wear like iron and do well in sand!
Just for fun, I went to Treadwright's web page the other day. All out of stock.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for fun, I went to Treadwright's web page the other day. All out of stock.
They make them in batches and with some ireegularity in terms of schedule. I found it was best to call periodically and ask when they might have another production run. They tend to sell out fast, but once I had a sort of phone relationship with the employee on the other end I knew when to hit the website and order bc they gave me head's up.
It worked for me.
BDGR

Ajax MD

My bead breaker tool shipment was lost. I'm waiting for a refund.
The M998 manual specifically says "Do not use a tire machine" on these wheels.

Can a shop use the bead breaker part of the machine, only? I'm talking about just the hydraulic wedge that pushes the bead straight down, not using the rotating arm that pulls the bead over the lip of the metal wheel.

Can the wheel handle a duckbill tire hammer?

Thanks.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My bead breaker tool shipment was lost. I'm waiting for a refund.
The M998 manual specifically says "Do not use a tire machine" on these wheels.

Can a shop use the bead breaker part of the machine, only? I'm talking about just the hydraulic wedge that pushes the bead straight down, not using the rotating arm that pulls the bead over the lip of the metal wheel.

Can the wheel handle a duckbill tire hammer?

Thanks.
You cannot "break" the bead on these wheels with the run flat in place, the rim must be separated, tire machine is a definite no no