• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee Engine Knocking (yes it's actual knocking, probably)

jake20

Hah, now I’m 100% sure that was it. I tried unplugging the cold advance from the pump with that injector disconnected, but was discouraged when the sound remained the same.

I put it all back together, torqued the injector and line back in, and decided to try unplugging the cold advance once more.

Here’s a video, there is massive audible difference between it being plugged in and not:

RWH, thanks again for shedding some experience :p

jake20

Just turned it up a little bit by ear, I’m betting the sound during winter starts is going to be fun as well.

spawn hmmwv

Hello fine individuals, I started hearing some noises today that nobody likes to just start hearing out of the blue.

Basically, I've had this M1043A2 6.5L for almost a month, been getting it fixed up while waiting for the sf97 to come in. Today, I installed a new oil pressure and voltage gauge, as the previous ones had water intrusion. I take it out for a drive, and I'm about 20 minutes in with the engine at full operating temperature. As I'm driving at around 35-40MPH, I start hearing a very audible clacking/smacking sound, very different than anything I've heard from this machine yet.

I pull over and shut it off and then proceed to look around the engine bay for anything loose, the only thing I found was that the crankshaft pulley has a little bit of play in the rubber. I start it again and rev it slowly a few times. The clacking follows the engine RPM, and is 100% not part of the normal diesel clacking sounds you typically encounter.

So far.. I've read that it can be a few things:

1: Bad injector
2: Cracked piston / head
3: Loose pulleys / bad bearings
4: Other fun things

Trying to narrow down what it is, I took a video and the sound is very evident around the 30-40 second mark:

If anyone's heard this before or has any ideas on what I can check, would be appreciated. One thing of note is that my bottom-most injector line on the injection pump is pretty rusted, so there may be a possibility of air getting in the line? But it doesn't seem to be leaking either. I'll probably start by pulling the injector lines one-by-one and seeing if the noise persists.
hello. I’m replying to the original post because I’m having a similar problem. After running for months without any problems the engine started to make a knocking noise and spitting out a lot smoke. The video below shows the knocking. This engine was replaced 20 months ago and I only drove from 4500 miles. Any suggestions what to check? From the original post some people mentioned injectors, lifter, change oil, etc.
Appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited:

jake20

hello. I’m replying to the original post because I’m having a similar problem. After running for months without any problems the engine started to make a knocking noise and spitting out a lot smoke. The video below shows the knocking. This engine was replaced 20 months ago and I only drove from 4500 miles. Any suggestions what to check? From the original post some people mentioned injectors, lifter, change oil, etc.
Appreciate any suggestions.
What color is the smoke? White? Black? Take a video of it.

Go to the front of the engine bay and look at the pulley system. Look at each pulley closely while it’s running, are any of them wobbling? Is the tensioner slapping? The pulleys would likely be unrelated to the smoke however.

If it’s white smoke, you may be burning coolant, either blown head gasket or water is getting in somehow

Black smoke at idle wouldn’t really make sense

jake20

Are all fluid levels good? Mainly oil? Have you tried changing the oil since this started? If not, change it and see if it still persists. Again, doesn’t correlate with the smoke however.

If you want some concrete data, send an oil sample to blackstone labs. They’ll be able to detect any traces of unwanted contents.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like Mark it sounds like a failing injector to me, bust each line and see if it goes away on one of them.
IMHO it is not "tinny" enough to be a lifter.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just listened to the 2nd video and I believe it's a stuck open injector. Explains the sound and the smoke. As suggested crack the injector lines one at a time to isolate. If it is stuck open don't drive it as the poor cylinder is getting washed.

spawn hmmwv

What color is the smoke? White? Black? Take a video of it.

Go to the front of the engine bay and look at the pulley system. Look at each pulley closely while it’s running, are any of them wobbling? Is the tensioner slapping? The pulleys would likely be unrelated to the smoke however.

If it’s white smoke, you may be burning coolant, either blown head gasket or water is getting in somehow

Black smoke at idle wouldn’t really make sense
the smoke is grayish. Not black at all. The video below shows. I have not changed the oil since the issue started. I will change it tomorrow. Last time I used Rotela T6 15w40. Today I’ve added sea foam engine treatment. It should help cleaning the injectors.
Hmmwv smoke video
IMG_3343.jpeg

spawn hmmwv

Just listened to the 2nd video and I believe it's a stuck open injector. Explains the sound and the smoke. As suggested crack the injector lines one at a time to isolate. If it is stuck open don't drive it as the poor cylinder is getting washed.
thank you. I have no experience. How difficult is to “crack the injectors lines”?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the smoke is grayish. Not black at all. The video below shows. I have not changed the oil since the issue started. I will change it tomorrow. Last time I used Rotela T6 15w40. Today I’ve added sea foam engine treatment. It should help cleaning the injectors.
Hmmwv smoke video
View attachment 907578
Not likely to help, if you added it to the oil guaranteed not to help.
thank you. I have no experience. How difficult is to “crack the injectors lines”?
It is best to have an injector wrench like this one.
wrench0_.jpg
But you can also use a 19MM/3/4" open end wrench.
INjector.jpg
They are all a PITA to get to, some are worse,
If it were me I would access and "test loosen" and snug back down as many as I could reasonably get to, then start the engine and when it starts knocking loosen them one at a time 1/4-1/2 turn is all you need (then re-tighten the ones that have no effect on the knock), you will hear and feel the difference as that cylinder goes dead, when you get to the offending injector the knock will cease, hopefully it is one that is easy to get to, if not then go for the difficult ones.
Wear gloves and a heavy long sleeve shirt, there are allot of sharp edges around that engine.
And of course be very careful and aware around the belts/pulleys etc.
They do not need to be super tight just a hefty snug, be careful not to bend/break the nipples that the small return hoses are connected to..

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks