• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee floor mats

mountaindogsix

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also decked the middle section from the doghouse to about 4 feet from the back where we have our sub-woofer box. We outlined the whole section and then made a cut out with wood. I dymatted the bottom and dyna decked the top. It made a huge difference. We did the same with the roof. 5 by 5 foot section of wood. Dyna decked the whole thing and screwed down the soft top. No issues, no flapping and no leaks.

jake20

I also decked the middle section from the doghouse to about 4 feet from the back where we have our sub-woofer box. We outlined the whole section and then made a cut out with wood. I dymatted the bottom and dyna decked the top. It made a huge difference. We did the same with the roof. 5 by 5 foot section of wood. Dyna decked the whole thing and screwed down the soft top. No issues, no flapping and no leaks.

Got some pictures by chance? This sounds pretty neat.

In terms of updates on my mat situation, they're doing great with the only downsides being 1: drainage, 2: slight rubber smell. I'll probably make a few holes for drainage and hopefully the new rubber smell wears off after a while.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

In terms of updates on my mat situation, they're doing great with the only downsides being 1: drainage, 2: slight rubber smell. I'll probably make a few holes for drainage and hopefully the new rubber smell wears off after a while.
Funny you mention the smell, in 1990 my wife worked at a VCM plant making the ingredients for vinyl, we purchased a 1990 chevy truck and she pulled a sample after it sat in the sun all day, ran it through the plant and it had 400 times the recommended exposure of vinyl (time weighted for an 8 hour period)
GOTA love that new car smell!!

jake20

Funny you mention the smell, in 1990 my wife worked at a VCM plant making the ingredients for vinyl, we purchased a 1990 chevy truck and she pulled a sample after it sat in the sun all day, ran it through the plant and it had 400 times the recommended exposure of vinyl (time weighted for an 8 hour period)
GOTA love that new car smell!!
heh that's always re-assuring, sounds like we're always in the best of hands with manufacturers :p

mountaindogsix

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I have a half assed version of what you did and I drilled holes. It works.....I guess. My wife traced the deck mat on a piece of cardboard and we cut the wood. We cut the back so it fit perfectly under the sub....nice and tight and the front under a custom speaker/cup holder that sits attached to the dog house and looks like an extension. If we didn't have either, screwing it in would work but we fit it around the shifter so it all stays down. The Dyna deck cleans and shines up nice and deflects heat. The dog no longer seems to mind. :rolleyes:......I'll get you pics. The roof was fast. decked...glued with 3M and then grey rug over all of it. 5 by 5 will cover the whole section and got the soft cover back on.

Crapgame

thoner7

Yes we all would really like to see pictures of this.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just started my interior improvement project and just removed all the nasty floor mats and tunnel insulation.

A good friend who did this extremely well advised me that he used two layers of Dynamat, one specifically for heat, and another for sound. He then used 3M double sided tape to hold in marine carpeting on top of that. He advised only doing the tunnel and the bed, as he found that it got too moldy if applied to the floors and he had to rip it out what he applied to the floors.

I just applied one layer of a Dynamat competitor that was half the price of Dynamat. I bought part of a roll of black marine carpet. The theory is that it would hold up to water that does seem to get in. Previous owner put some wood on top the tunnel and I think I will apply the carpet over that.

After reading this thread, I realized I should have ran an audio sound level app on my phone to do a before and after comparison. Too late now. Do'oh! :oops:

At first I thought I would try to install the carpet myself. I did the dog house myself and it turned out mediocre. So I am going to take it over to a couple of auto apolstry shops near me and ask them what they would charge to install the carpet I have on the tunnel and the bed. If it is "reasonable" I might just have them do it.

I was thinking of maybe trying to use the same marine carpet as floor mats and put a few grommet holes so water can escape where there are holes in the floor. I won't glue them down and if they mold up I'll throw them away.

I see the link provided for the rear mats, and they are reasonable. I was thinking I might try to paint them black, if I went that route instead. I found the passenger's side too, in black. But I am not seeing the driver's side. Anyone have the part number for the driver side M998 floor mat?

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go to Tractor Supply and buy a thick rubber floor mat you find near the front doors. Usually 4' X 3', then cut it up to fit. Just a thought...

So I pass the local Tractor Supply and go inside and I see the mats. Those would work well for floor mats. I ask the cashier if they have any that are bigger than 3x4 so I could also put something down in the bed as one piece. She directs me outside where they had some substantial mats that were larget enough for the bed for about $45. Picking up the things would give you a hernia! But they load them for me.

Get it home and I went to work to trim it to size. First I try a 20V battery circular saw. Would not dent it! So I whip out my AC powered US made circular saw. Thing goes to work on it but in the middle it smokes the saw! :eek: This mat is beyond tough. I look at the receipt and it says "Horse Mat" 🐴

jake20

So I pass the local Tractor Supply and go inside and I see the mats. Those would work well for floor mats. I ask the cashier if they have any that are bigger than 3x4 so I could also put something down in the bed as one piece. She directs me outside where they had some substantial mats that were larget enough for the bed for about $45. Picking up the things would give you a hernia! But they load them for me.

Get it home and I went to work to trim it to size. First I try a 20V battery circular saw. Would not dent it! So I whip out my AC powered US made circular saw. Thing goes to work on it but in the middle it smokes the saw! :eek: This mat is beyond tough. I look at the receipt and it says "Horse Mat" 🐴
Heh that’s some dense rubber then, the smaller ones were already enough of a pain with a razor blade but the large one sounds like a task

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like what jake20 said. We have a lot of guys using the horse mat for tool box tops here at work. I’m not sure on the thickness you all are using but the ones here used are around 3/4in thick and all we do to cut them is get a fresh razor knife and a guide or just mark your cut line. Then just lay the cut line off a edge of a table or something similar and start cutting it down the line in multiple passes it’ll start to cut separate and break over the edge of the table and then finish cutting it through.

jake20

Like what jake20 said. We have a lot of guys using the horse mat for tool box tops here at work. I’m not sure on the thickness you all are using but the ones here used are around 3/4in thick and all we do to cut them is get a fresh razor knife and a guide or just mark your cut line. Then just lay the cut line off a edge of a table or something similar and start cutting it down the line in multiple passes it’ll start to cut separate and break over the edge of the table and then finish cutting it through.
Exactly what I did, worked great. I was trying to cut in one pass at first but that wasn’t gonna happen.

wjeeper

I have had success with cutting horse stall mat with a worm drive circular saw with a "wet wood blade". We also put some dish soap on the cut line to lube the blade. Found if you don't the blade sticks in the cut, gets hot and warps. Works well for cutting used conveyor belting too!

clawson

Finally got around to this, great recommendation. Hard to cut but worth it. I found that dragging a sharp razor blade along a straightedge like a square tube makes it easy to score. Once you score it, bend the edge over the end of a table and cut it until you’re all the way through.

Did the driver and both rear footwells. Haven’t gotten around to the front passenger seat yet.

I may cut some small holes in it for drainage through the existing floor holes, don’t want water/mud pooling up in the winter.
Looks fabulous; well done!

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3/4 horse stall mat. Smooth side up so water can flow under mat easily to weep holes. Strong forearms and razor knife with metal straight edge. Lots of measuring. The added weight helps with stiff suspension and killing some rattles. I probably added 200lbs of matting. Nice option in my oipinion.

Coonass77

I have had success with cutting horse stall mat with a worm drive circular saw with a "wet wood blade". We also put some dish soap on the cut line to lube the blade. Found if you don't the blade sticks in the cut, gets hot and warps. Works well for cutting used conveyor belting too!
Jigsaw with a drop of oil on the blade every once in a while - easy peasy and cuts like butter. The edges also clean up very nicely with a round-over bit on a router.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks