• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee floor mats

twisted60

Has anyone found a good fitting floor mat for front and rear ?
If not what are you using ? I have a humvee with no floor cover at all, I'm thinking of using rhino liner sprayed on.
Anyone put sound deading mat down then cover with rhino liner or ?

jake20

I’m in the same boat, not a fan of the military floor mats and a new set is $700 from the usual vendors that supply AMG parts. I tried to see if WeatherTech had any custom products but they weren’t too helpful.

Haven’t looked into it further than that since I don’t even have doors yet, would be curious to see what others come up with.

I also thought about doing some sort of bed liner spray, but the holes in the floor need to be taken into account.

SmartDrug

I did my center tunnel and bed with the 3/4” 4’x8’ mats (it took 2), it did help with the noise, although not much. I can tell you that working with those mats is a lot of work. I cut some fairly intricate angles around the doghouse and bed tiedowns, etc. but I would expect a bit of a task to make them into floormats. Trying to get them to bend for the front seat footwell will also be a task, but with a decent scoring line, it will probably work.

Thumper580

I did my center tunnel and bed with the 3/4” 4’x8’ mats (it took 2), it did help with the noise, although not much. I can tell you that working with those mats is a lot of work. I cut some fairly intricate angles around the doghouse and bed tiedowns, etc. but I would expect a bit of a task to make them into floormats. Trying to get them to bend for the front seat footwell will also be a task, but with a decent scoring line, it will probably work.
It's great matting, but you are correct it's not easy cutting. I used one for the tunnel space between the four seats. Get extra blades for your razor knife :)

Autonomy_Lost

Do you notice any improvement in sound deadening? Maybe this combined with doing the floors would make a big difference. EDIT: just re-read your post, nvm lol

SmartDrug

Do you notice any improvement in sound deadening? Maybe this combined with doing the floors would make a big difference. EDIT: just re-read your post, nvm lol
It definitely did something, but the NA 6.5 is a LOUD girl, especially when it’s clanging around 2-3 feet from my head. I would guess that floor mats would help a decent amount with road noise, but as far as engine noise, covering the tunnel did very little.

I have two small kids (4 & 7yo), they love riding in the HMMWV, but everyone runs an aviation headset comms system to save our ears.

Two last things of note- 95% of my driving is under 50 mph, so road/wind noise is rarely much of a factor. Also, I can’t say for sure, but I would bet that a homemade secondary doghouse cover with some insulation/sound deadening would make a LOT more of a difference regarding noise levels. That’s my plan for the Spring.

thoner7

What about pouring in a bunch of plasti-dip or flex seal rubber and making your own ?

I think both would peal off on their own but somecooking spraymight help or even laying down cling wrap first

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It definitely did something, but the NA 6.5 is a LOUD girl, especially when it’s clanging around 2-3 feet from my head. I would guess that floor mats would help a decent amount with road noise, but as far as engine noise, covering the tunnel did very little.

I have two small kids (4 & 7yo), they love riding in the HMMWV, but everyone runs an aviation headset comms system to save our ears.

Two last things of note- 95% of my driving is under 50 mph, so road/wind noise is rarely much of a factor. Also, I can’t say for sure, but I would bet that a homemade secondary doghouse cover with some insulation/sound deadening would make a LOT more of a difference regarding noise levels. That’s my plan for the Spring.
I coated the inside of my 6.5TD doghouse with dynamat, or an equivalent, and reflective tape, on top of the factory supplied insulation. It made ZERO difference. That thing is LOUD.
YMMV. Bulldogger

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To answer your original post, @twisted60, I made some replacement floor mats and a front passenger tunnel insulation cover using OD green ballistic nylon sandwiched around some thick plastic swimming pool winter cover scraps I scavenged at one of my son's swim meets. Made drain holes using brass tarp grommets, readily available at Harbor Freight, etc. They work and wear well. They were easy to mount using 3/4" self-tapping screws and existing AMG mountings. They are easy to hose off. They don't do anything for noise, however. If you decide to sew your own matting, it would help to have a very capable sewing machine. I have a light industrial sewing machine for this and other HMMWV projects (technically it's a beefed up 1960's dressmaker's Singer, but they made them STRONG back then, it handles 4 layers of heavyweight ballistic nylon before it complains).
I second the frequent use of horse stall and garage anti-fatigue mats, or used conveyor belt material, I've seen them all. Many folks are happy with them but it is hard to cut them and have them look nice. Results I've seen vary greatly in terms of appearance, but all agree they are extremely durable.
BDGR

springer1981

SOUNDS like everyone is trying to put lipstick on a pig as far as noise goes, it is a HUMVEE after all.
Yes and no. I wear the Bose noise canceling headset to dampen the noise and to talk to my passenger. After years of mistreating my ears at concerts I have a constant ringing in my ears that is deafening when trying to go to sleep. I would LOVE for my Humvee to be quitter but I also know that it is hard to shut up an Aluminum can with a diesel engine. Yes it is going to be loud but does it have to be THAT loud? No. Every little bit helps. If you don't have ringing in your ears now, do everything you can to prevent it.

jake20

Go to Tractor Supply and buy a thick rubber floor mat you find near the front doors. Usually 4' X 3', then cut it up to fit. Just a thought...

Finally got around to this, great recommendation. Hard to cut but worth it. I found that dragging a sharp razor blade along a straightedge like a square tube makes it easy to score. Once you score it, bend the edge over the end of a table and cut it until you’re all the way through.

Did the driver and both rear footwells. Haven’t gotten around to the front passenger seat yet.

I may cut some small holes in it for drainage through the existing floor holes, don’t want water/mud pooling up in the winter.

Attachments

springer1981

Finally got around to this, great recommendation. Hard to cut but worth it. I found that dragging a sharp razor blade along a straightedge like a square tube makes it easy to score. Once you score it, bend the edge over the end of a table and cut it until you’re all the way through.

Did the driver and both rear footwells. Haven’t gotten around to the front passenger seat yet.

I may cut some small holes in it for drainage through the existing floor holes, don’t want water/mud pooling up in the winter.
Looks great ... may have to take my own recommendation LOL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks