• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NJ Humvee insurance

RoccoM1123

Need to insure my 2003 AM General HMMWV MK1123
It’s not 20 years old yet so haggerty will not cover it.
Please tell me what insurance company you have for your younger than 20 year humvee and a contact name and number please…I need to get mine registered and on the road!!!
Thank you

toxicroadkill

try progressive, that's what I use, even got a discount for a "anti-theft" device (cable and padlock). $200 ish every six months for a m1009 and the m998

both 1986 models

Caactus

UGH... I'm about at my wits end with Progressive. They've been happily taking my money for more than a year and a half. I keep getting notified by that there is a discrepancy with my VIN. Evidently their computer can't handle 6 digits so they add eleven 1's to the number to fill the blanks but then they question the validity of the number. I have to call every 2 or 3 months are explain the 6 digits vs 17 digits. In April I was notified by the state of Arizona that (*that recognizes the correct 6 digits "VIN") my vehicle didn't have insurance. Called Progressive.."they'll take care of it". Tried to renew my registration online a few days before it expired in the end of August and low and behold, Progressive hadn't done squat and my AZ registration had been cancelled in May. *I* had to do all the work to prove my insurance hadn't lapsed and finally got everything sorted out. Here we are in October and I'm looking at notifications from Progressive that are querying my VIN and Arizona saying I don't have insurance. Looks like I'll be going to Haggerty for $140 more/year.

Edit: Hey Rocco, they're claiming they can't insure it because it's less than 20 y/o? I had no problem getting a quote for my 2008 1165.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have progressive, and the 6-digit serial number is my state VIN. I did have to send them a copy of the title, but all of the paperwork and insurance cards say "AM GENERAL - M998 - XXXXXX". So at least at a high level there should be none of this having to pad the number in their system. (Might be something at a state level, or your insurance agent sucks.)

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have Hagerty on my 2006 M1165 - no drama getting it. I filled out the form online and had to call the guy, but that was because my WAG as to value was off. I guessed $30K for a replacement value, which is about $8K more than I currently have into it. He said he'd need the bill of sale and some other stuff, or I could declare a value of $24K and he'd be able to approve it right then without anything else, so I did that.

I have State Farm on my home and other cars, but I like the idea that I get full value if it gets totaled, which I don't think State Farm will do.

EDIT to add: It took some clicking around on the Hagerty website, but they have a place for military vehicles. You want to start there

PaulbusMax

I have Hagerty on my 2006 M1165 - no drama getting it. I filled out the form online and had to call the guy, but that was because my WAG as to value was off. I guessed $30K for a replacement value, which is about $8K more than I currently have into it. He said he'd need the bill of sale and some other stuff, or I could declare a value of $24K and he'd be able to approve it right then without anything else, so I did that.

I have State Farm on my home and other cars, but I like the idea that I get full value if it gets totaled, which I don't think State Farm will do.

EDIT to add: It took some clicking around on the Hagerty website, but they have a place for military vehicles. You want to start there
I filled out everything online with Haggerty, they emailed me a quote which i replied with payment info. The next day (Nov 30, 22) a lady called me and said they couldn’t cover it because it’s a 2006. Not old enough. BuWahhhh

HumVa

USAA has American Collectors if you're eligible. Just insured my M1123 yesterday but they do require your Humvee to be stored in a garage.

PaulbusMax

USAA has American Collectors if you're eligible. Just insured my M1123 yesterday but they do require your Humvee to be stored in a garage.
Thank you! We do use USAA for our regular cars and pickups, however when asking for coverage on the M1097, they require it to be 20 years old. Mine is 17. 😵💫

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went online form with Haggerty, stated that my primary use was utility/offroad/non daily driver, and the form gave me a quote. Mine is a 2007.
But, I had some more questions so I decided to call. I mentioned that the variant is a utility vehicle and that's what I was planning on doing with it - picking up building materials, doing dump runs with it along with occasional off roading. The guy said that they wouldn't insure it. I got the impression that they want to insure vehicles that are driven to car shows and/or the occasional weekend drive and if you want to use it for anything else they're not the company for you. When I said it wouldn't be a daily driver and would be driven less than 1,000 miles/year that that didn't matter.

Progressive would insure me, except that I plan on registering it in Montana and driving it in my state and Progressive won't do that. Haggerty would, except for what I stated above.

Gastrap

My 2006 M1097R1 is through State Farm. She said the biggest problem wasn't the lack of 17 digits, but the lack of any letter in the 6 digits. She added an "X" and I got full coverage with a $15,000 declared value for $360 per year.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 2 Humvee's, 1 CUCV, and my 1991z28 with Hagerty. They had no issues insuring all 4. I applied online and stated they would be used for pleasure and car shows and would be garaged. All they asked for was 3 pictures of each, the front, back and engine.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have always added zeros in front of the serial number to total 17 digits for use as a VIN replacement and never had a problem with State Farm, Hagerty or Progressive insurance companies, or the tag office. I've used all three insurance companies and am currently using Hagerty and Progressive for three MVs. I register as commercial vehicles for non-commercial use. No restrictions on use as long as no commercial use.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know that here in MA. that Commerce ins and Plymouth Rock ins will cover the HMMWVs. I wish Geico ins would cover it as my other vehicles are all through Geico.

Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks