• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee M1165 steel cable under the body

jim1131

Does anyone know what this cable is and what its used for? Its underneath the left driver side of the vehicle in front of the transfer case. The nut is missing from the bolt and not sure if I need it.Cable.jpg

jim1131

So it doesnt crash into the fuel tank in an accident.
that nut is missing because your transmission crossmember is missing...
Have you been driving it like that?
Actually I haven't been driving it, its making a knocking noise from the bottom when I drive it and I its probably the drive shaft, it looks like its rubbing against something. Thank you for telling me, I didnt know it was missing

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually I haven't been driving it, its making a knocking noise from the bottom when I drive it and I its probably the drive shaft, it looks like its rubbing against something. Thank you for telling me, I didnt know it was missing
I took a picture of my exhaust yesterday, but you can see the cross member in the photo.

IMG_3028.jpeg

jim1131

I took a picture of my exhaust yesterday, but you can see the cross member in the photo.

View attachment 848930
I just ordered a crossmember thank you for noticing this, Im thinking that the knocking noise from the bottom is probably because theres no support on the trans and it caused the drive shaft to hit against the shield. I also noticed a crack on the top of my bell housing and its probably because the crossmember is missing. Im glad that I posted the picture and I really do appreciate your reply.

Action

I just ordered a crossmember thank you for noticing this, Im thinking that the knocking noise from the bottom is probably because theres no support on the trans and it caused the drive shaft to hit against the shield. I also noticed a crack on the top of my bell housing and its probably because the crossmember is missing. Im glad that I posted the picture and I really do appreciate your reply.
Some folks aren't always happy with my observations ! That could have been horrible going down the road and breaking off.

jim1131

Some folks aren't always happy with my observations ! That could have been horrible going down the road and breaking off.
I bought this truck from govplanet thinking it had a bad engine since the turbo and upper manifold were missing but the engine started right up after I installed the new parts. I was so excited to finally drive it around the block but as I was driving I heard a knocking noise coming from the right rear so I parked it. I jacked up the rear, put the truck in neutral and rotated the wheel and heard a noise from the drive shaft as it was grinding against the right side of the shield. Probably the weight of the transmission caused the driveshaft to go out of line

jim1131

I just received my new crossmember and trans mount but not sure what size bolt was it that mounts the crossmember to the frame

jim1131

You have the bolt on the driver side already. It is a special stud with threads on both ends. But, the missing locknut on the bottom is also 9/16-12 .

View attachment 849264
the passenger side is 9/16-12x1.50
20211030_094910.jpg
I have purchased new bolts and nuts for the crossmember along with a transmission mount and when I tried to install it I found that I need the 2 bolts that attach the mount to the trans, can you please tell me the bolt size for the trans mount

Action

The sizes are in TM 9-2320-387-24P

The table of contents is in the front of the manual. Find the transmission section (group 7). look at the list to find the transmission mounting hardware heading. click on the page number and get sent to the picture. The parts list is on the next page. match the item number in the image to the list. read the description.

jim1131

The sizes are in TM 9-2320-387-24P

The table of contents is in the front of the manual. Find the transmission section (group 7). look at the list to find the transmission mounting hardware heading. click on the page number and get sent to the picture. The parts list is on the next page. match the item number in the image to the list. read the description.
Done, crossmember is back on and vehicle is running without issues, thank you

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks