• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee purchase, need advice

Gamble

I always ask the same questions when I see these posts.
What are your plans for the HMMWV.
Are you going to restore it or mod it into something else.

You mention you want a slant back.
do you want it to have a functional turret in it?
If not, then you could roll the dice and wait for something to come out of an auction.
It will be stripped of almost all of the turret parts, turret support, doors, windshields.

If your heart is set on a slant back that has all of that in it, you got 2 options.

Buy one from someone like Retired Warhorse and cry once.
Or buy a stripped one missing all kinds of hard-to-find pieces spend months if not years trying to find the missing parts
possibly buying some of the missing parts from him and in the long run end up sending it to someone like him to eventually finish it.

Are your jeeps watertight?
Because your slant back most likely won't be.
do some leg work about registration.
just because your neighbor has one doesn't mean it's going to make it easy for you to get your registered for the street.
Not sure about your state but some states it's easier to older it is not the newer it is.
insurance?
Can you garage it or store it inside? some insurance companies require it.

At some point in time, you're going to get rid of the thing.
So, keep that in mind.
Everyone can find them at auction, everyone that did is trying to source all the same missing parts.
It will be easier to sell and recoup some of your sweat equity the more original and complete it is when that time comes.

It starts out as just wanting to scratch an itch and that turns into a full-blown rash.
Next thing you know you're self-medicating or seeking professional help.
Have fun
Self-Medicated
Lol... What he said.

And.... Once you understand them and get yours the way you want it. Guess what? You'll want another one. Lol. It gets in your blood.

Plus, what are you going to do with all of that HMMWV knowledge you have acquired.

Good luck and Have fun.

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love wrenching.. I like the quiet seclusion.. I fix what needs to be fixed on my small fleet of cars along the years.. That simply comes from the fact that I am a cheap ass and can't stand to spend money on something I can do.. Started small... Dodge Avenger, Ford Expedition, Gmc Yukon... Well as I've gotten more comfortable I've upped the Anty. Bought a 2008 Range Rover for my daughter.. Most people say "Hell No" or " a Pure Nightmare".. I just laugh because I know it could be painful, but common sense says it's not gonna be that bad to work on/fix.. So I took on the HMMWV with the pretense that it's just a vehicle, with minimal electronics ( Damn Range Rovers). Anyone can work on these, the caveat is a few special tools will be needed but there's a superb set of free instruction manuals.. Heck, I rebuilt the entire transmission and transfer case on the one I got. Never done that before on anything. In the end, it wasn't that bad and I learned a lot. Other than that, its just 4 wheels and an engine.. Get your hands dirty if you want, If not , pay some bucks for someone else to do it.. Even with a full build your gonna be able to get your hands dirty with some maintenance and " MODS " (my favorite).. It's fun, not too challenging and nothing to be terribly afraid of. If you've got the patience, some time and quite a few extra bucks to spend.. As far as the vendors you've mentioned for trucks, I can't say anything good or bad about them.. They seem pretty reputable and are probably not in business to upset anyone. Do a little due diligence, pull the trigger and enjoy the ride.. It's a sweet one !!!!

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love wrenching.. I like the quiet seclusion.. I fix what needs to be fixed on my small fleet of cars along the years.. That simply comes from the fact that I am a cheap ass and can't stand to spend money on something I can do.. Started small... Dodge Avenger, Ford Expedition, Gmc Yukon... Well as I've gotten more comfortable I've upped the Anty. Bought a 2008 Range Rover for my daughter.. Most people say "Hell No" or " a Pure Nightmare".. I just laugh because I know it could be painful, but common sense says it's not gonna be that bad to work on/fix.. So I took on the HMMWV with the pretense that it's just a vehicle, with minimal electronics ( Damn Range Rovers). Anyone can work on these, the caveat is a few special tools will be needed but there's a superb set of free instruction manuals.. Heck, I rebuilt the entire transmission and transfer case on the one I got. Never done that before on anything. In the end, it wasn't that bad and I learned a lot. Other than that, its just 4 wheels and an engine.. Get your hands dirty if you want, If not , pay some bucks for someone else to do it.. Even with a full build your gonna be able to get your hands dirty with some maintenance and " MODS " (my favorite).. It's fun, not too challenging and nothing to be terribly afraid of. If you've got the patience, some time and quite a few extra bucks to spend.. As far as the vendors you've mentioned for trucks, I can't say anything good or bad about them.. They seem pretty reputable and are probably not in business to upset anyone. Do a little due diligence, pull the trigger and enjoy the ride.. It's a sweet one !!!!
What he said...!

thoner7

Another option is to buy at auction and send the truck to Retired Warhorses for a refurb - Steve has done two for me and is very thorough and mostly cost-effective.

But if you want one without an up to one year wait for the SF-97 (title) to arrive from govplanet so you can get the plates, then just go direct to Retired Warhorses and buy one of his "off the rack".

Also note you may have some issues registering the truck with the NYS DMV. Investigate that before you take the plunge.
Are they still taking a year for paperwork? I’ve seen a few members getting their trucks picked up in weeks from the GP depots

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the EUC and picked up the truck within 6 weeks of auctions.
You have to wait for the EUC before you can pick up? I picked up as soon as I paid. Won on Wed, picked up on Tues. They told me it would be a few weeks for the SF97.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reports of Army humvee's taking one day for euc. M1097 trucks. I'm on my fourth euc for usmc humvee's and the first one took months. The last two have taken a month.

M1165A1

You have to wait for the EUC before you can pick up? I picked up as soon as I paid. Won on Wed, picked up on Tues. They told me it would be a few weeks for the SF97.

Most definitely yes!!! You are not permitted to take possession of the vehicle without an EUC. In my experience EUCs can take weeks to months and then without warning you have a week to pick up your truck when it clears.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most definitely yes!!!
I won last Wednesday (1/4), filled out the paperwork and filed everything that night. Arranged the wire transfer that paid on Friday and picked up on Tuesday (1/10). I wasn't there, but the people that picked up for me (had to trailer it) did say that they could've picked up 2 humvees for all the care the people at the yard took to check paperwork.

I hadn't filed a EUC for anything before this sale. According to the auction site (govplanet) I had 8 days to pick up the vehicle or face storage fees and if I didn't pick up in 60 days I would forfeit my money and the vehicle. Once the payment was received by them, I called to see what I needed to do to pick up and they just gave the address and the hours and told me to go there. Was supposed to present the Release Form (anyone could do that) and pick up. They even loaded the vehicle with a forklift, something the website says they don't do.

I know they didn't even submit the EUC until my payment cleared because I got an email to that effect on Thursday. I called on Friday (1/13) to check on the SF97 and they told me it takes a few weeks.

As soon as I get the SF97, I plan on licensing it via Montana.

Attachments

Last edited:

Larry Weibert

Hi
dbalogh

I noticed you said you live in Niagara Falls. I live 12 miles north of you in Youngstown NY. I own an Auto facility and collect MV's as well. If you need any help with buying transporting or repairing what you might get, I'll be happy to help you. I own 4 deuces and 4 5 tons along with many other green related items. Have 70 acres of fun stuff. Everyone on this forum is helpful and looking out so you know what you're getting into. Green or tan in your case is good sounds like you're in a good place to own one. We have a few MV club's local that also are great resources with help with working on them. Feel free to PM me with your info if you need anything. Larry W

jeffputts

I won last Wednesday (1/4), filled out the paperwork and filed everything that night. Arranged the wire transfer that paid on Friday and picked up on Tuesday (1/10). I wasn't there, but the people that picked up for me (had to trailer it) did say that they could've picked up 2 humvees for all the care the people at the yard took to check paperwork.

I hadn't filed a EUC for anything before this sale. According to the auction site (govplanet) I had 8 days to pick up the vehicle or face storage fees and if I didn't pick up in 60 days I would forfeit my money and the vehicle. Once the payment was received by them, I called to see what I needed to do to pick up and they just gave the address and the hours and told me to go there. Was supposed to present the Release Form (anyone could do that) and pick up. They even loaded the vehicle with a forklift, something the website says they don't do.

I know they didn't even submit the EUC until my payment cleared because I got an email to that effect on Thursday. I called on Friday (1/13) to check on the SF97 and they told me it takes a few weeks.

As soon as I get the SF97, I plan on licensing it via Montana.
Im going to go the MT route as well, have an LLC for another vehicle and its great. Question on govplanet, do they charge the sales tax at time of sale or put that on you when you go to register. since MT doesn't charge sales tax It make a difference if i purchase in my name or the LLC from govplanet

Jinx

Im going to go the MT route as well, have an LLC for another vehicle and its great. Question on govplanet, do they charge the sales tax at time of sale or put that on you when you go to register. since MT doesn't charge sales tax It make a difference if i purchase in my name or the LLC from govplanet
Welcome to the site!

I bought mine last December and Govplanet charged sales tax at the time of sale.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are charged sales tax for the location where it is sold.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I double checked my invoice and it breaks it down showing sales tax was based on my home county in my state. Not the state I bought it in.
That's interesting, every one of my invoices shows state and local tax of the city the vehicle was sold in, did you have GP ship the vehicle?

jeffputts

That's interesting, every one of my invoices shows state and local tax of the city the vehicle was sold in, did you have GP ship the vehicle?
did they refund you if there was a difference between where purchased and local tax? every vehicle ive bought out of state i was not charged tax up front, only when i went to register in my home state

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I purchased my M1083A1 from GovPlanet they charged me taxes for a PA sale. When I went to MVA and got my title and temp registration I had to pay Maryland tax on it.
Filled out the GovPlanet form to get my tax money I paid through PA a long with a copy of the receipt from Maryland showing that Maryland taxes were paid. Received a check from GovPlanet about a month later.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks