• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee purchase, need advice

jeffputts

When I purchased my M1083A1 from GovPlanet they charged me taxes for a PA sale. When I went to MVA and got my title and temp registration I had to pay Maryland tax on it.
Filled out the GovPlanet form to get my tax money I paid through PA a long with a copy of the receipt from Maryland showing that Maryland taxes were paid. Received a check from GovPlanet about a month later.
great to know thanks!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been able to get the tax office to give me credit for the tax I paid GP, in TX the vehicle tax is 6.25% but GP also charges local tax which is usually around 2.5% more, not really worth the effort to go through their bureaucracy, I just wish they would send my SF-97 for the truck I bought in July.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
do they charge the sales tax at time of sale
I've bought GP items in 3 states, including one with no sales tax and each time they charged the local sales tax where the yard was located. Knowing one auction didn't include sales tax made a difference in how much I was willing to bid.

If you have a MT LLC and are registered with GP and pay from that LLC, there may be a way to exempt you from sales tax. Or maybe there's a way to recoup it later. I know this was the case some years ago, but the laws may have changed.

I found this with an online search: If Montana residents buy goods or services online, they are not required to pay sales tax in another state. Montana does not have a sales tax exemption certificate. If you’re a Montana resident working or shopping in a state with a sales tax, and want to know about that state’s rules for exempting nonresidents from the tax, contact that state’s Department of Revenue. You cannot claim another state’s sales tax on your Montana income tax return.

GP is done online, but I don't know if the auctions count as such. Information I'm finding has some states around Montana (WA, ND) exempting residents from sales tax at least in the past, but CA is not one of them.

Jinx

That's interesting, every one of my invoices shows state and local tax of the city the vehicle was sold in, did you have GP ship the vehicle?
I shipped through Veritread.

I'd post a photo of my invoice but I don't want to risk private data getting out there. I'm looking at it again and it shows the breakdown of fees. For sales tax the line says:

State Sales Tax - 6% - Florida $xxx
County Sales Tax - 1% - $xxx.

The truck was sold at the Georgia location but they definitely charged me Florida tax based on my county.

Either they recently changed it or YMMV.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I shipped through Veritread.

I'd post a photo of my invoice but I don't want to risk private data getting out there. I'm looking at it again and it shows the breakdown of fees. For sales tax the line says:

State Sales Tax - 6% - Florida $xxx
County Sales Tax - 1% - $xxx.

The truck was sold at the Georgia location but they definitely charged me Florida tax based on my county.

Either they recently changed it or YMMV.
Same way for me in florida. State and county tax in every purchase from them, so far 9 items.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks