• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvees in boneyard--------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavy D.

Too bad they are at Red River, they probably run better now than they will when they leave. I wouldn't want a rebuilt engine for my lawn mower from that place...
What is wrong with Red river depot? history of bad rebuilds??? I am genuinely curious.

another question iv'e been asking myself and others for years now but get no real answer : why doesn't the military sell the unarmored HWMMVs like the dueces and the 5 tons? Just makes no sense to destroy something that can be used and profited from.​

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ntx,

With your credentials, they might not have given you the drill but I know twice I have been there: they drill no camera, no camera phone, no propane, no gasoline etc......

tim292stro

But then the civilian H1 market would have to deal with "realistic" pricing...

I remember in the '90s you could get an H1 out of Ranger-Joe's for 30K new - No sat-nav or leather thought :). In general, I agree - we should be able to buy them. They are a 1984-ish era vehicle that met 1984 standards (no airbags). I'd rather wear body armor and a helmet while driving than get punched in the face and my nose broken by a burning pillow. That's why I'm building up an 80's era truck now (that and a running used HMMWV goes for what it did new).

What is wrong with Red river depot? history of bad rebuilds??? I am genuinely curious.

another question iv'e been asking myself and others for years now but get no real answer : why doesn't the military sell the unarmored HWMMVs like the dueces and the 5 tons? Just makes no sense to destroy something that can be used and profited from.​
They have zero quality control. We would get engines from them that leaked out of every freeze plug, have locked up accessories, bad turbos, mismatched parts, loose parts, **** we've even got locked up tight engines from them before...

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It would appear to be quantity over quality at the repair depots. One truck will leave there in great shape and the next will have issues it's a roll of the dice which one you get.

datadawg

Bump.
I remember this GL auction very well and my company was asked to fund the scrap bid. When we underwrote the deal based on scrap pricing -- no parting allowed, the #'s weren't working. Sure enough, whoever won the bid might have had a different disposition strategy.

From what I recall, this was a long term deal, involving approximately 1,000 units. This means they are probably demilling these still. If anyone is nearby, it sure would be of interest to all of us to learn whether these are truly getting shredded or simply cut strategically. I'll let your imagination work and leave things unsaid, but perhaps deals could be done... and some of these might miraculously appear in the afterlife.

So who's going to take up the torch and investigate? If you see these being cut with a hydraulic shear, they can be revived if cut smart. If you see them pulverized or crushed, there is no hope. We were on the finance side, and projected scrap revenue per Hummer was about $2K. I wonder if the scrapper might flip 2 carcasses for, say, $10K??

gem1410

Hi datadawg--what was the winning bid---how did you figure the $2000 scrap value------all of this is big bidding action-----how could the bidders make any money after all the expenses---

datadawg

Hi datadawg--what was the winning bid---how did you figure the $2000 scrap value------all of this is big bidding action-----how could the bidders make any money after all the expenses---
Gem, $2K based on $370/ton shredded scrap in Houston at the time and $.51/lb aluminum... Take blend of weights in vehicle, subtract non rev items and gross rev was about $2K. As far as making money, it all depends... there is a certain cost/ton in labor, fuel, machinery, etc. The scrap guys know that # and it varies. I don't know what the winning bid was but we were gonna fund $150/ton, which depending on config of the unit, implies a buy price of under $1K per. But we underwrote this exactly by the rules, meaning no value extraction beyond scrap. How someone else did it, is your guess. The interesting thing is the GL bid listed demil code C, but the applicable statutes required demil Q for the vehicle and code D for "key components". Some sharp legal minds told me it's possible to thread a needle and ultimately have a fleet of running units, but it would take years of litigation... so we refused to fund that plan.

It irks me as a taxpayer that millions of tax dollars are squandered through wholesale slaughter of military assets. And as an aficionado, it's frustrating I can't have one of these sitting in front of me. We need someone to befriend the locals at Hooks, so maybe a few crumbs fall off the table.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a very good friend who owns a scrapping business, he looked into that DRMO event and was going to bid.....that was till he read the Demil requirements, he stated that anyone would be out of there mind to bid on it and win and have to abide by the rules laid out. He has been doing scrapping and has mobile crushers for 20yrs.
they got down to just how much residue...oil, fuel, coolant can be on the ground, the condition of the site at end of the day....there just was in it.

anyone know who got it?

oh and regards to trucks making there way out....it's already happening, I know of 5 in Texas near Ft.Hood....I wouldn't touch them with a 50ft pole.

the response I got from the seller when asking for an sf97 was "Bill of sale only". Once I advised Govt don't sell hmmwv's he stated that they buy scrap from the govt and that's what these were....I have the pics, these are nice, complete Hmmwv's with 6.5's in them, all 2 door and 4 door ragtops.
Upon pushing harder on the seller, he offered a notarized copy of the supposed govt paperwork showing proper chain of custody, I wanted that paperwork before, not after I sent 25k....I've had no commo since....that was in aug-sept.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How is it that some people are able to get one that was cut in half, then fix it all up. I see some people have some, how do they do it?

I have seen no one or heard of anyone who has bought a cut in half hmmwv....and not sure you would want one. That aluminum is aircraft grade, it don't play nice at all when trying to weld. Beleive me, I work on hmmwv's 7 days a week' if I thought I could weld holes in panels and the such, I would....but it's just easier to replace the panels as a whole.
you cannot straighten it either, once it bent, tweaked....for get it, it will just break.
M151's were steel....if you were lucky you would get a saw cut, easy to weld back together.

86m1028

ntx,

With your credentials, they might not have given you the drill but I know twice I have been there: they drill no camera, no camera phone, no propane, no gasoline etc......

Keith, Maybe you just look guilty 😳.
Ive gone in with full fuel cans & even cutting torch bottles in the bed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks