• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvees Scraps

Gunzy

If my understanding is correct, they have to be scrapped to the point that no parts can be reused.
'Purchaser must completely destroy material that will result in the destruction of the item to prevent reuse, recognition or reconstruction of the item to the satisfaction of the government appointed verifier. Automated size reduction prior to shredding is allowed. The process must be able to pulverize cast iron, cast aluminum and magnesium. This process will be used for the majority of the property stream. Any items that cannot be processed as above, due to size or metal thickness, may be processed by torch or shear with certifier and verifier concurrence. No parts removal. Harvesting of parts is forbidden. The use of precision torch fixtures, precision cutting saws or precision tools of any kind to minimize demilitarization are forbidden. All military markings and data plates are to be completely shredded and destroyed."

BnaditCorps

If my understanding is correct, they have to be scrapped to the point that no parts can be reused.
'Purchaser must completely destroy material that will result in the destruction of the item to prevent reuse, recognition or reconstruction of the item to the satisfaction of the government appointed verifier. Automated size reduction prior to shredding is allowed. The process must be able to pulverize cast iron, cast aluminum and magnesium. This process will be used for the majority of the property stream. Any items that cannot be processed as above, due to size or metal thickness, may be processed by torch or shear with certifier and verifier concurrence. No parts removal. Harvesting of parts is forbidden. The use of precision torch fixtures, precision cutting saws or precision tools of any kind to minimize demilitarization are forbidden. All military markings and data plates are to be completely shredded and destroyed."
That makes me mad!!!!!!

Why can't they just sell them to the people, parts or whole. Do they remember who payed for them? You, me, mother, father, grandma, grandpa. If we paid for it, then why would they think that they WE can't have them, part or whole.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay guys settle down.

You can buy HMMWVs from the late '90s sale that come with titles. You can buy HMMWVs from GP (and a few from GL) that can be used withr "off-road use only" stipulations.

The OP asked about the scrap sales. Unfortunately there are sales of some items on GL that are grouped in "scrap only" lots. Because of the way the paperwork has been filled out and submitted they do require complete destruction. This can include canoes, boats, alternators, radiators,M939 series trucks, office furniture, etc. Whatever is added to the lot.

Does that make it right or wrong? Who knows but that is part of the game called life.

RustyM923

Obliviously he did not know the answer or he would not have asked the question.

No one says you can not use scrap parts for off road use only vehicles.
I agree with you. The OP would not have asked a question they know the answer to.

I also agree with you that no one is saying you can't use scrap parts for off road use only. (or on road use)
However, there's this:

6. Method and Degree of Demilitarization:
a. Demilitarization off government premises at contractor facility.
b. Demilitarization within 50 miles of DLA Disposition Services Pearl Harbor location.
c. Contractor will transport, at contractor’s expense, the items to their facility to complete the
demilitarization with a certifier/verifier present.
d. Purchaser must completely destroy material that will result in the destruction of the item to prevent reuse,
recognition or reconstruction of the item to the satisfaction of the government appointed verifier.
Automated size reduction prior to shredding is allowed. The process must be able to pulverize cast iron,
cast aluminum and magnesium. This process will be used for the majority of the property stream.
e. Any items that cannot be processed as above, due to size or metal thickness, may be processed by torch
or shear with certifier and verifier concurrence.
f. No parts removal. Harvesting of parts is forbidden.
g. The use of precision torch fixtures, precision cutting saws or precision tools of any kind to minimizedemilitarization are forbidden.
h. All military markings and data plates are to be completely shredded and destroyed.

and if that's not enough...there's this:

16. Surveillance Plan:
a. Prior to award of property requiring demilitarization as a condition of sale, the SCO of the sale will
contact the certifier, verifier, purchaser, and property disposal custodian of items to ensure
demilitarization procedures and sale terms and conditions are understood. Processing of items will not
begin until the aforementioned individuals clearly understand their responsibilities under the sales
contract and surveillance plan.
b. A pre-award site survey will be performed by a Government Representative to determine if the
contractor’s demilitarization performance process meets the requirements as these individuals will
possess the qualificationsrequired to monitor the demilitarization according to DoD 4160.28-M.
c. Disposition Services Pearl Harbor representative will accompany the shipment from the Disposition
Services Pearl Harbor site to the Purchaser’s facility.
d. Government Representative will ensure that proper loading and weighing methods are used, that
vehicles are sealed with U.S seals.
e.Verifier/Certifier will survey 100% of property being demilitarized and ensure that the material is being
properly demilitarized. Any residues of items not fully destroyed will require further processing until
proper destruction is accomplished.
f. Verifier/Certifier will examine demilitarized residue. Certifier and Verifier will determine if reside has
been completely destroyed. Once material has been inspected to ensure proper demilitarization, the
certifier and verifier will complete and sign the demilitarization certificate.
g. Title to the property does not pass until Demilitarization Certificates are signed.
17. Method and degree of demilitarization recommended are in the best interest of the U. S. Government as
applies to economics and financial return to the U. S. Government.

The one thing I can't quite work out is how you're going to bolt these "parts" on a truck and actually use them.

Expendable

I wish they could have been blown up for movies / tv show instead of being scrapped (only so that legally owned humvees don't get blown up, wrecked while filming). but they have been scrapped already most likely according to terms (listed above).

saddamsnightmare

October 25th, 2015.

Boys, when Uncle says "Scrap" they are scrap. You paid for it, he used them, and then determined that a military HMMWV is no safer in civilian hands then the first M151's were. Quit your crying. I have seen perfectly serviceable railroad locomotives with all the prime mover and traction motors thermited..... When Uncle says scrap, they are just about open hearth or blast furnace filler, nothing more.

Rusty M923 set out the government specifications and methods, if the dealer bought it, he paid less then scrap prices for it... Personally, I'd love to run them over with either a GP-40 locomotive or an M1A1, the results would be most enjoyable and would take them to scraop a lot quicker. Back in the 1970's, Uncle would drop UH-1s from cranes and then run them over with tanks...scrap. It's they way things that are made by man die... nothing more, nothing less.

Now have a good weekend, get out your favorite pop and a towel....... You'll feel better about it tomorrow.:popcorn:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks