• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hydraulic clutch pump or ford super pump?

res0wc18

So i am going to be putting a mile marker hydraulic winch on the duece, and i am considering two options for the power source, well three i guess. The first is a hydraulic clutch pump like this High Pressure Hydraulic Clutch Pump — 2.32Cu In. | Pumps | Northern Tool + Equipment

The second is the ford super pump from AGR Welcome to AGR Perfomance, Inc.

The third which is one some may not know about is a dc powerd hydraulic unit, that is usually used for dump bed kits. They have the option for what is called a 6 way power valve built in which could power the winch as well as the dump bed im going to put on. Of course the rest of these could as well. something like this Haldex 12 Volt DC Power Unit — Manual Operation, Double Acting, Model# 1510038 | Power Units | Northern Tool + Equipment

That would be spining much more flow running on 24v though

What do you all think? Anyone done hydraulic winches?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't really know anything about any of the pumps but the electric one. Electric will build all the pressure you'd ever need but they are slow. Hyd winches are slow anyway compared to PTO winches and with an electric pump It's going to be even slower. The 2 GPM listed on the electric pump in the link is going to be supper slow (I mean barely see it moving slow). You need about 20 GPM to get decent speed out of the winch. I would suggest a PTO driven pump ( which you could also use to run your dump bed). The best of the three you listed is the clutch pump as it has the amount of GPM you need if you can get the RPMs up to 3,000 with correct pulley size.

Last edited:

Lawrence of Arabia

I work on aerial boom trucks that use various styles of pumps. I do not like the electric as they are slow and require batteries. The trucks I work on typically use a clutch pump, usually made by Harper Industries out of Harper KS. AKA Deweese. They are relitively small and very reliable. I would highly recommend them. A complete kit is usually around $1,000.00 which may be pricey but they are well worth it. If you go this route you may have to buy through a dealer, which I am, but hopefully you can buy direct and get it cheaper.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only problems I see with the clutch pump is mounting it and can the clutch handle 24V.

nhdiesel

I like the clutch pump. While the AGRs are decent at what they were made for- running power steering and hydraulic steering rams, they weren't made for the kind of high volume needed for heavy use. And if you are going to try to pull a Deuce with a Milemarker (yes, they will do it...but work at it!) then you will be pushing the pump. Also, they are always running.

Since you would be running power to a known constant draw (the clutch), it wouldn't be hard to install a resister to drop the voltage down. You don't even have to be all that accurate- anything in the 11-15 volt range is fine, as thats where vehicles tend to run between depending on the charging output and draw without damaging anything.

I would also second running the dump off the same pump, it would work much better than an electric. Electric is fine for ease of install, and for someone using it lightly who doesn't need the speed, but the first time you want to haul several loads in a short period, you'll start hating the electric. With the clutch pump, you can vary the speed by engine RPMs. So if you are doing a slow, easy winch pull, let it idle; if you have a long, harder pull, increase speed. Same with dumping- pull lever, increase engine speed and watch it dump quickly.

Jim

res0wc18

so with these engine driven clutch pumps would i just run the pressure side to some kind of manifold that would have an inlet and multi outlet , one for the winch and one for the dump bed. I think this combined with a 5 gallon reservoir inline filter and cooler it should be plenty for a deuce. How could we run the switching for the dump? Is there 24v solenoids that could open for the up stroke, then could have the same for the power down? or would it just bleed off for down.

What about if i wanted to make the rear 105 trailer a dumper too? Would/ could i have quick disconnect couplers one power and one bleed, running with a same type of solenoid like the truck bed dump?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will need a remote spool valve. If you are running the winch and the dump you will need two (one for each). A solenoid valve would work also (you can get spool valves that work off of solenoids). Depending on how much you winch and how big your oil tank is you may can get away without running a cooler .Hyd motors do heat the oil up pretty good but if you're not running with winch for long periods at a time ( the military says only run the PTO winch for 5 minutes and stop to let cool) and have around 10 gal of oil you should be fine without a cooler. A dump doesn't require a cooler.

Last edited:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My IH dump had an auxiliary pump besides the pto one. It supplied the plow hydraulics as well as power for the road maintainer at the rear. It worked well.

Attachments

res0wc18

explain to me how you come up with the what side needs to be open etc etc, i dont know these things i usually just look at things and figure it out

res0wc18

How about adding a PTO and hanging a pump off of it................would super reliable!:idea:
in short sheer cost, unless some one knows how or where i can make one fit the 3053a for cheaper than the cost of the clutch pump?

This web site has a reasonably complete primer on hydraulics-
Fluid power basics - Hydraulics Pneumatics
I do hydraulics so infrequently now that it seems like I have to re-learn them every time !
sweet thanks

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you looked at where you're going to mount the pump and belt routing? A PTO driven pump would cost more if you bought a new pump but used pumps can be found very reasonable that are under old dumptrucks. I'm going to run a pump off a t-case PTO to power my dump. I got the pump with the hoist that came from a old dump truck.

The reason you want open center is because of the design of the pump you are wanting to use or most (if not all) PTO pumps you will find. A open center system is the simplest design and there is no reason to go closed center. Basicly closed center uses a variable displacement pump and can send power to more than one circuit at once. On a closed center everything is pumbed parallel and a open center is plumbed in series.