• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydrolocked, big repair ahead.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have made temporary gaskets that worked well on my old Saab 900 turbos with soft Aluminum sheet. I sanded the muffler tubing smooth, and then placed the Aluminum sheet and tightened down the bolts. Worked acceptably at the time. Muffler tape with a hole in the center also works as a temporary patch.

Of course these are temporary fixes and you really need a wedge shaped seal made of soft metal.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a note on the gasket, after trashing the first one I pulled the 4 bolts and removed the turbo down pipe. putting the lip in the pipe and seating it was easy with it on the bench.
I just bought it at my local auto zone. It worked oerfect. I bent the metal lips a bit to fit it inside the turbo outlet portion and the conic part to the exhaust. Could not be better.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have made temporary gaskets that worked well on my old Saab 900 turbos with soft Aluminum sheet. I sanded the muffler tubing smooth, and then placed the Aluminum sheet and tightened down the bolts. Worked acceptably at the time. Muffler tape with a hole in the center also works as a temporary patch.

Of course these are temporary fixes and you really need a wedge shaped seal made of soft metal.
Those saab were nice. I had a 2004 93 and loved it. Passed it down to my cousin who completely blew it.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now another question. I live in south Florida and the coldest it gets here is on the 50's for a couple of days. I am planni g to remove the heater core and related to gain some sapce. Is this too crazy of an idea? It will decrease the value of my truck immensely?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now another question. I live in south Florida and the coldest it gets here is on the 50's for a couple of days. I am planni g to remove the heater core and related to gain some sapce. Is this too crazy of an idea? It will decrease the value of my truck immensely?
reduce value immensely?
Nope
Reduce value a little bit?
Maybe, depends on the buyer. A couple hundred in parts usually.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More questions coming in. In the box i was given, i found this part which i beleive is a cover for the exhaust section but i cannot figure out where it goes. I checked the Parts TM and i can't find it. Any ideas?
no idea, but since the paint is shiny, and there is nothing on the HMMWV that's normally painted shiny, I don't think it goes to it.

I could be wrong though

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
no idea, but since the paint is shiny, and there is nothing on the HMMWV that's normally painted shiny, I don't think it goes to it.

I could be wrong though
Oh, the guy i got the engine and parts from painted everything with marine awlgrip paint and that's why that part is shiny. The engine is green and black shiny as well.

Action

More questions coming in. In the box i was given, i found this part which i beleive is a cover for the exhaust section but i cannot figure out where it goes. I checked the Parts TM and i can't find it. Any ideas?
That is a heatshield. Look in the end of engine section of TM. The doghouse must be removed to access. I think one of the big heatshield mounting bolrs holds it on. Yours looks like RCSK18089.
Removing heater is silly. I have used defrost many times in sw FL. You also turn heat off and fan on to circulate fresh air thru the cab.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at lower right side of turbo exhaust cover for your mystery part. Painted mine to match valve covers. Actually, I kinda dig your green covers!…..”dig”, yes, I’m old. In fact, I still use aol.com!
Your main shield is a little different than mine, the one I have also bolts to the top of the turbo

Reactions: OBX

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at lower right side of turbo exhaust cover for your mystery part. Painted mine to match valve covers. Actually, I kinda dig your green covers!…..”dig”, yes, I’m old. In fact, I still use aol.com!
Thanks, that's what it is lol. Imagine removing one engine and having a lot of pictures and notes and installing something totally different. Sometimes logic kicks in but sometimes logic takes a break.

Reactions: OBX

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a heatshield. Look in the end of engine section of TM. The doghouse must be removed to access. I think one of the big heatshield mounting bolrs holds it on. Yours looks like RCSK18089.
Removing heater is silly. I have used defrost many times in sw FL. You also turn heat off and fan on to circulate fresh air thru the cab.
Thanks. I had an idea it was back there but could not find a position for it.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like there are also two small screws that hold it to the right exhaust manifold shield, probably a PITA to get to