• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I added a Muffler, in Disguise!!

WPNS421

The Canadian M35has a frame mounted muffler hidden behind the cab under the box. With the insulated cab it is real quiet, I usually let my wife do the talking and listening especially when I am trying to convince her that I need more green iron. Last time it backfired on me when she nsaid no problem as long as it is an ambulance(M1010). I am going to Philadelphia to pick up my new MKT and to look at a M1010. Sometimes no muffler can be good. I will try to post pictures of the muffler.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You really did a great job on the muffler. Mine was installed by the Fire Dept that had it before. I left it on the truck because it makes such a big difference. But it is huge and quite ugly. I will be doing your mod this fall.

eldgenb

thank you for all of the compliments, next up are my topkick mirrors if fed ex ever delivers them, I know this goes against the grain of originality but I think with a little fabrication and carc paint it will be another great mod. Will post pictures when that is done.:-D

eldgenb

Awesome, then this is definitely on my todo list. Id love to go dual exhaust dual muffler as well.
I think the hardest part of your dual exhaust (if you are going through the other fender) will be the pipe routing to the drivers side but I agree that dual exhaust dual muffler would be great. Post pics if you go for it.

eldgenb

Another thing I was just thinking about, if you have access to two of the heat shields/guards you can wrap the entire muffler front and back and it would look even better and be more in disguise. I do not have access to another and don't care enough to go look for one at the moment but that would look even better IMO.

zout

soundproofing

Here is what I just picked up from NAPA:
Part#17224
center 3 1/2 inlet and outlet - runs straight up ^^
total length: 21 inches
diameter of Muffler tube:
length of muffler tube: 16 inches

Ultra Flo - welded Stainless Steel

Comparison:
Gibson prt# flows 311 cfm
Flowmaster part#943051 flows 435 cfm
Edlebrock part #5560 flows 640 cfm
Dynomax (which this is) part #17221 flows 1300 cfm

I Know - I know no good without a pic so here it is for size comparison - not installed as the MV's are down getting painted.

Attachments

eldgenb

Here is what I just picked up from NAPA:
Part#17224
center 3 1/2 inlet and outlet - runs straight up ^^
total length: 21 inches
diameter of Muffler tube:
length of muffler tube: 16 inches

Ultra Flo - welded Stainless Steel

Comparison:
Gibson prt# flows 311 cfm
Flowmaster part#943051 flows 435 cfm
Edlebrock part #5560 flows 640 cfm
Dynomax (which this is) part #17221 flows 1300 cfm

I Know - I know no good without a pic so here it is for size comparison - not installed as the MV's are down getting painted.
Nice man you are going to love it, I just took a long drive in the deuce mixed freeway at 55 and around town and all I can say is awwwwww. it is soo nice now to casually drive. the only thing is that you will become paranoid because you can hear everything else in your truck and will begin to believe that it is on the verge of blowing up!!:grin: Aside from that, Perfect.

eldgenb

by the way just for reference the Donaldson is rated at 1245 cfm on the muffler used in case anyone wanted to know. If I had to compare the sound to anything it would be a semi truck with stack mufflers, I know that is vague but it sounds great.

zout

spec's

Go you have the part # on the Donaldson and some spec information - size - etc ?
This would be great on a SEARCH for someone in the future as well.

Blood_of_Tyrants

yes it is quiet enough to take the ear plugs out. The engine is still pretty noisy but its a diesel, not much you can do about that. There is still exhaust note but only under acceleration the constant whistle and growl are considerably quieter and hard acceleration up grades are now doable with the top off and no hearing protection as well!!:p:p:p
Actually, there is something you can do but not many of us would elect to do it. You could install sound deadening insulation in the engine compartment and floorboards.

eldgenb

Actually, there is something you can do but not many of us would elect to do it. You could install sound deadening insulation in the engine compartment and floorboards.
Yeah I have thought about that but then you lose the ability to detail your truck with a hose!:-D I may lay some dynamat high up on the firewall to kill some vibration from the engine and around the glove box etc. buy I can not bring myself to do the whole interior. I was thinking about line-X but there are too many levers and bolts that need to remain exposed for it to look good IMO.

bryan70546

Yeah I have thought about that but then you lose the ability to detail your truck with a hose!:-D I may lay some dynamat high up on the firewall to kill some vibration from the engine and around the glove box etc. buy I can not bring myself to do the whole interior. I was thinking about line-X but there are too many levers and bolts that need to remain exposed for it to look good IMO.
I will be doing just that . I all ready have all my materials it just a matter of finding the time and working around the weather.:-D

I think the best way would be dynamat extreme with heat shield on the inside fire wall and floor, and some kind of roll on coating on the outside firewall and underneath the floor. Id love to do that then put some diamond plate over top of the floor and insulation. It would look good, and still be easy to clean.

eldgenb

younz going to put the dynomat on the inside or outside (firewall) of the cab? how well does dynomat hold up to heat?
Dynamat on the inside firewall. It holds up great to heat, the proper way to install it is to peel, stick, and heat with a heat gun to form and make semi permanent.
Diamond plate is a great Idea for the floor, you could actually sandwich some dynamat or other sound deadner between the two layers to keep the heat and noise from the drive train down while maintaining durability. I just might have to copy that idea!!:-D I am going to get the first bit of dynamat done tommorrow and will report back if it made any difference or not. I think a standard automotive undercoating would be just fine for the underside of the cab. It actually makes a pretty big difference, just keep it off the exhaust or it stinks like hell.

broman78

There's also a roofing material called Stormgaurd Leak Barrier and looks and feels just like dynomat. Would prob. be better to use that on the floor and use the dynomat somewhere else.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks