• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I added a Muffler, in Disguise!!

DeucesWild11

I went with a bigger muffler but I am looking for a heat shield as well. Perhaps something I can fabricate.. Defintitely made a difference in sound for me as well but I don't have a turbo:(.

Attachments

Blendmaster2002

Ford Mechanic looks great, nice job I see you also kept the heat shield. I captured a couple shots from your film so people can see your work, if they can’t get the Video to load, or if the link fails later.
Fords truck before.jpgFords truck after.jpg

I like that you kept the stack long, when I did mine I adjusted it to about that height too, we just fired up a truck without a muffler and I almost couldn’t stand how loud it was Lol. Here’s a pic of my truck, I did the big walker muffler, Heres the Thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?98832-Walker-21470-Muffler-install&referrerid=19939.
M36A2 Pass side 1-1-2013.jpg

Last edited:

Blendmaster2002

DeucesWild11 you have the same muffler I do, I don’t have a heat shield either, but I am not worried about right now, maybe at some point I will put one on, but it would probably make the muffler stand out even more Lol.

Ford Mechanic

Yeah the stacks about 9 in. longer now forgot to mention that. Thanks for posting the pics, I've been swamped at work today so I didn't get around to it.

randini

I have a question about the heat shield, what is it for? I dont have one, and dont see the need. Its not an area where you put your hands, not too close if I am working on the engine. What do they sheild?

Blendmaster2002

randini, the heat shield referenced in the above post, is not an under the hood exhaust heat shield or deflector, just an expanded metal cage to keep people from burning themselves on the exposed hot exhaust stack or now the muffler on the outside of the truck. Here’s a few images of the original from the TM’s.

Attachments

Ford Mechanic

Alright so I got to go on a longer ride than my normal 6 mile trip with the new muffler and I have some bad news....... In my truck this ones too much of a restriction. My EGT's are way up and the farther you drive it the less amout of throttle you can give it due to EGT's, making the accel to 55 painfully slow. My fuel filters are new, less than 1/2 a tank thru them so i dont think that's causing it. I try to cap mine at 1150*F but I'm ablt to hit that in 4th! In 5th I'm getting 1150* at 1700 rpm during accel and really having to watch it to ever hit 55 mph.

For any one else wondering mine is running 80%WMO and 395's

randini

randini, the heat shield referenced in the above post, is not an under the hood exhaust heat shield or deflector, just an expanded metal cage to keep people from burning themselves on the exposed hot exhaust stack or now the muffler on the outside of the truck. Here’s a few images of the original from the TM’s.
Thanks, I just dont understand why its needed. If it was not there, what would happen? I assume its so you will not burn your hands. I cant think of a time when I would be holding on to the exhaust.... Has anyone ever said "thank goodness that heat shield is there, or I would have burned my ??"

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alright so I got to go on a longer ride than my normal 6 mile trip with the new muffler and I have some bad news....... In my truck this ones too much of a restriction. My EGT's are way up and the farther you drive it the less amout of throttle you can give it due to EGT's, making the accel to 55 painfully slow. My fuel filters are new, less than 1/2 a tank thru them so i dont think that's causing it. I try to cap mine at 1150*F but I'm ablt to hit that in 4th! In 5th I'm getting 1150* at 1700 rpm during accel and really having to watch it to ever hit 55 mph.

For any one else wondering mine is running 80%WMO and 395's
Those are some high numbers right there for an empty truck. I can only compare to mine; I can get her to 1200 when loaded, but empty it would perhaps be a short spike, if I could get that high at all. Fuel is turned up on mine.
I am wondering if your muffler has sufficient flow. I say this because I mounted one on a car once; darn thing hardly ran; turns out the factory new muffler was clogged internally with all sorts of baffle material and debris from the galvanizing tank. Made in USA, btw.

Ford Mechanic

Hadn't thought of that, I'll have to look when I pull the pipe back off. I was thinking of drilling a couple of holes in the baffle to give a little more flow, But that will kill the whole reason I bought the muffler to start with.

Blendmaster2002

My 2cents, I narrowed my muffler choice down to the Donaldson and Walker I did not want the bullet muffler with glass packing I had seen used by others, I did not find if the Donaldson was baffled or straight through, but the walker I used is a straight through design with perforated tube I did not think to take a pic during my install, the pic bellow is of the same type muffler but it has a smaller inlet or outlet so it necks down where mine is the same size all the way, no restriction, I figure it should last a long time, all the mufflers including mine will probably build up particulate matter and carbon over time but I think the perforated tube will have less impact on performance, plus the walker was cheaper I got mine through summit off @bay.

Ford Mechanic, That’s a real bummer man others haven’t reported trouble with that muffler at all. Maybe on your truck the combination of the bigger tires, fuel turned up?, muffler and WMO is all little by little sending your truck over the EGT edge. If you were happy with the truck before I would probably try turning the fuel down a little, and do like your thinking if you find nothing wrong with the muffler when you pull it, drill some holes in the baffles or if you don’t think that will be enough why ruin the muffler list it in the classifieds its still new and try a different muffler.
I don’t know if mine affected the EGT I don’t have a gauge setup installed, but I cant see it changing significantly at all but I could be wrong. Good luck with your truck.:beer:

Attachments

Ford Mechanic

So I got my EGT's back under control last night, I drilled 7 5/16 holes in the baffle and it cooled it down alot. Not as quiet as it was but alot cooler, so mabey I've found a happy medium. My muffler inside looks alot like that one in Blendmaster's pic, perforated tube but one baffle welded right in the middle of the tube. Now full throttle in 5th taps out around 1150* again.

kawkev

The "Lizard Skin" is just paint with micro-balloons.

Make it with any latex you want, in any color you want, for $20 a gallon.

Edit: I figured I would expand this. For simple sound deadener, use latex housepaint mixed with 3m glass microballoons.
For "High Temp" insulating paint, use Rustoleum BBQ paint and the same 3M glass microballoons.

Latex paint=$9.97 /gal at home depot
Rustoleum BBQ Black=$40-$45 /gal
3M Glass Microballoons=$33.45 for 4 Gallons

Have fun.

How much microballoons to add per gallon of paint???

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks