• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I am in big trouble

WeBeJeepin

I send my wife flowers at work whenever I buy something just so she is happy when she gets home and I show her the new (and unknown to her) purchase. She is starting to figure this out and now she gets upset when I send her flowers at work!

wilber

Good ol' Roy.
I once had the privilege of taking him to lunch when he flew his Mitsubishi MU-2 Turboprop into San Angelo for service (we built those planes here).

I had no clue who he was, other than it was past 2pm and "some pilot named, Roy, is at the service center and needs a ride to get some lunch." He wanted BBQ and was familiar with a good place close to the airfield.

Halfway through the meal, he looked at me and said, " You don't know who I am, do you?"
"No, sir. Should I recognize you?"
He wiped the sloppy sandwich drippings off his hands and extended one for a handshake... "Hi, I'm Roy Clark. Do you ever watch HeeHaw?"

That was the beginning of a years-long good friendship.

Whenever he brought his plane in for service, he always treated everyone like he was at the neighborhood garage. Played dominoes with the guys when he was there during their lunch break. He even snagged a sandwich off the "Roach-Coach" lunch wagon to eat with the mechanics.

I always admired his genuine appreciation of people.
I love it when a celebrity is a common person. I think it is really hard to do when you are treated like royalty most of the time. Good for Roy. Thanks for letting us see another side of him.

ammodude

Here is a list of what I own totally.

1978 IHC Scout 2 V8 345
1976 IHC Scout 2 4cyl 196
1982 Mercedes 300D Turbo diesel
1962 Mercedes 220
1959 Mercedes 220
1964 Ford Thunder Bird V8 390
1962 Ford F100 V8 292
1971 Ford F100 V8 390 ( for sale )
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 318 ( work truck 1)
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 V6 3.9 ( work truck 2 )
2000 Chevy Express V8 350 ( work truck 3 )
1998 Chevy Express V8 350 ( work truck 4 )
1987 Chevy 3500 Dump 350 ( work truck 5 )
1994 Ford Super Duty V8 7.9 ( work truck 6 )
1981 GMC 3500 Rack Truck ( work truck 7 )
1991 Suburban V8 350 ( work truck 8 ) crew truck
1987 Chevy Stepside 2500 ( work truck 9 ) for sale
1981 Ford E350 Bucket Truck ( work truck 10) for sale

1972 VW Bug convertable
1971 Vw Bug Dune Buggy
1979 Porsche 924 ( for sale )
1987 Audi wagon ( for sale )

1987 Federal Sububan 6.2 diesel
2002 Hundai Sonata
1999 Toyota Avalon
2007 Chevy Avalanche ( junk I hate it )

1972 IHC 1600 Roll Back ( toy hauler )
1972 GMC wrecker ( other toy hauler )
:idea: Okay at first I was thinking you were in trouble, now I see that it was your own fault. You could have :doh: parked that truck somewhere in the back, tinker with it next week and she would have never known that you didn't have it before.

Last edited:

ammodude

I send my wife flowers at work whenever I buy something just so she is happy when she gets home and I show her the new (and unknown to her) purchase. She is starting to figure this out and now she gets upset when I send her flowers at work!
Brilliant!!!! [thumbzup] Shows excellent forethought and planning.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you spell F L E E T - I N S U R A N C E :?:

That's quite a collection. I'm sure that every one of them has a story behind it too. HUH?

Looks like you've had the V addiction for some time... And now it's mutated into the MV variant for which there is NO KNOWN CURE :driver::jumpin:[thumbzup]

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What you do is get her the ring, and some flowers, put them both IN the truck and then tell her you have a surprise for her. She'll most likely not even remember the truck they were in..... BUT like they say, LATER it will get rough. Mine takes it all with a grain of something.... She loves "owning them" likes driving them, can't work on them, and wants a tracked vehicle. (which I tell her she can have when SHE learns to put the tracks back on it...)
She's a pretty good "boat driver" and a good friend. She's sort of regretting telling me after I sold my own tugboat and was just hangin out around the house that I needed another hobby and suggested I get a military truck though.
But they do get over it, and most of that part of the species does have a sense of humor..[thumbzup][thumbzup]

I know I should have hid it, And yes I have fleet insurance I pay about $1180 every six months.

The worst part is I am selling off a lot of the older ones I restored because the Military Vehicle bug has bitten me. I love to drive them, the looks I get, the overall simplicity of the vehicles to repair. They are so darn addictive !

Marines42

I'm 33 and never been married. Not that I wouldn't like to but...I am pretty set in my ways. I need a woman who is set in hers AND compatible. That being said, I have 7 HMV's and more guns than a 3rd world despot and I couldn't be happier.

I made the mistake of teaching her how to fire a gun. I started her on a 22, now she is really good with my 45 colt. She made it clear no more purchases with out telling her first. She has really gotten to like the Blazer, she now wants me to put it on the road and get a radio for it.

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
See, all good things come to those who wait.... The problem there is you're going to WAIT an awful long time before she lets you drive that one just for spite. And in that she is a good shot with a .45, I'd not "force" the issue. That's why I don't let my half unit have anything more than a Walther P-22 without my direct supervision. (not that the 22 wouldn't finish me off, but she knows I wear my "Second Chance" most of the time and she's not real good a 'head shots'..... she's a little low and to the right, makes for a horrible death.......:wink::wink::wink:

Danger Ranger

OK, I read all of this, and being young, dumb, and single, I have had the privilege to observe other couples from an outside perspective. You, my friend have dug a hole sooo deep, I am suprised they haven't spotted you in China.:cookoo:

I very much admire your awesome fleet, trucks, cars and equipment, but 10 work trucks? Holy cow. It may be time to narrow down, and gear up for the MVs. I agree the gun thing was bad on your part, as was the lack of planning or hiding of said vehicle. Older, wiser men have said to live and learn, you get what you give, and other such things...[thumbzup]:wink:

We run a commercial construction company. So each work truck is equipped to do its job. 2 trucks plumbing, 1 truck water well work, 2 trucks general carpentry, 1 truck commercial electric ,etc. It means as long as I know what is wrong with a building and I have the man power that day we can come with every tool needed to do the job right and fast. We can handle everything from busted electrical feeds to a half collapsed roof to a car through the front of a building. We arrive, take out emergency permits, and get to work. If its an emergency they call us.

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That my friend is the best way to do it. I know of another contractor who does similar work the same way. Quite successful too. Good luck to you and your significant other. I still think she'll keep you out of that truck for awhile just to be a show off. But that is women...... Mine gets that way on occasion, and I tell her that if she comes home and see's her stuff loaded, its time to go back to Michigan..... Its a family joke, some of the neighbors don't see the humor, but then they didn't serve ten years with her in the Navy either.... (thats also why she still says she'll never work FOR me again. When I took over command of our unit, I tried to have her transferred, it didn't work, the admiral sided with her... So I told her to keep things from looking like I played favorites, she'd work three times harder than anybody else, that she dad something to prove to the others. She did and I never heard a peep out of her, TILL SHE LEFT THE SERVICE..... Life just hasn't been the same since......:wink::wink::wink::cookoo::cookoo:

Ghostdriver

Oh Lordy, I must surely be the worst kind of woman, because I love shoes AND trucks. My dilemmas usually consist of whether to buy those Manolos off ebay or stretchers for my M43. But I'll look really good driving my M43 in my Manolos.

Hopefully, you can find a woman (or man) who likes for you to do what you want (finances permitting). I spent 12 years with a man who didn't understand why I wanted one of each variant of the Jaguar XJS. There are generally only four, had 2 coupes when I met him, got a cabriolet, and he made me get rid of the coupes. Restoring my M43 was completely out of the question. I never minded the money he spent on hunting gear, taxidermy, etc. Just thought there should be some reciprocity.

Now, I can resurrect my ambulance, and OldFart says it is good to see me smile again. Going to pick up the stretchers tomorrow.

Last edited: