• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

@#%$%&#%^*# I did it too... :(

Mudstone

bottom bolt is screwed... my buddy was helping me out for a bit while i addressed my busted finger... he drilled off center and its now a complete mess... anyone have any ideas? i'm kinda at a loss here...

kc5mzd

I think there is stuff in antifreeze that turns into JB weld after several years. I think you are supposed to replace your thermostat every 2 years to prevent the stuff from forming - not because of thermostat ware.
I think you have to heat the bolts up until they start to glow to dissolve the buildup. Also I have had several air drills. The low rpm one at northern tool lasted the longest. Be careful because most air drills are to fast for drilling in thick metal. They heat up the metal you are drilling into and harden it until the metal becomes to hard to drill into. A sharp bit on a very slow drill works best and is less likely to dull or break.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not, just change the part out?

Mudstone

i can't find the part... and then that means i have to pull 4 more steel bolts in aluminum most likely they will break as well. All i have to heat it with is a MAP gas torch. No oxy/acetylene. Who can i call that will have some means to helicoil it? keep in mind it is now drilled waaaay off center.

mangus580

Cant find one? I told you earlier in this thread I have at least 2!!

And what do you mean by 4 more steel bolts in aluminum? The bolts holding the crossover are threaded into steel. (the head!) they should come right out.

Mudstone

ohh sweet i thought you meant you had 2 welders... how much for one? and where abouts are you? i may be able to come pick it up.

Last edited:

Mudstone

ok well got new part thanks to magnus and everything is all hooked up... and leaking. Ever single connection is leaking. so i'm waiting for it to stop leaking then going to take everything off redo gaskets and then RTV everything. i know rtv is bad and whatnot but i'm kinda done messing with it. anyone else have any better ideas?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you clean all surfaces and use new gaskets?(dry) Propper torque also?

Mudstone

yes yes and no i also didn't crank on them very tight... then tried a little tighter. I'm gonna try and redo everything in a bit

Mudstone

yea i know... and you wanna know why it was leaking... my buddy when i RTV'd the gaskets said don't tighten it all the way let it set then tighten... they were loose. Basically i'm stupid and after tightening everything all is well. i think i'm going to drain out that stop leak **** tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mudstone

honestly had he not been there. i would never have checked. This is why i don't like to work alone. you can check eachother. I'm glad he was there.

:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks