• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I don't fit in the truck!!!

heavy_308

OK....I know I am big S.O.B., but come on....I am 6' 2+" tall and 300 plus....
I am trying so dang hard, but I am not seeing how I am gonna be able to drive that M52A2 I am trying to buy...

Are there any suggestions...moving steering column up....smaller steering wheel....thinner seat back...

I know, I know....before someone states the obvious....yes, lose some weight...I am, but I still have to contend with 31" quads ( I leg pressed well over 1450 in high school)...I was broken hearted when I climbed into her today...she needs some work but I am so in love with her. stupid I know....but she's cute.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can pull the steering wheel out further but you need to remove/modify the little
cover on the column that is used for the horn wire. I don't remember the details, but it was pretty obvious once you raise the hood and take a look. I had the same problem, I'm not that overweight
but I am 6'2" and one of my legs is messed up.
Take a look and I'm pretty sure you will see what you need to do.
Bruce

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know you're not going to like hearing this, but it might be better for you to lose some weight. It's healthy and life sucks if you die to soon before you get to enjoy your truck. My two cents, and I need to lose a few pounds too...

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try a different seat. I have one Deuce I fit in just fine and the other I have to shoehorn myself into it.

I lost almost 100lbs from my first Haspin Rally to the second last year I fit better it is still tight. You are not that tall, Stretch is tall and it hurts me to see him sitting in his truck.

If you buy it you will figure out what to do, no choice. But do it safely.

sw

Stalwart

I was 370 lbs and at 6'2" there wasn't an MV I couldn't drive quite easily. OK, mounting up was sometimes difficult, but not impossible. My Scorpion tank was the worst, nothing that a quart of Crisco on my belly wouldn't cure . . . kidding. I must say, losing over 140 lbs. made everything much easier. In short, lose the extra weight, you'll be happy you did!

That said, moving seats (and taking out padding), changing steering wheels are what you are gonna just have to do at current weight. That or try the Crisco rofl

goldneagle

I am 5'10" and 301#. I can drive my Deuce just fine! Easiest solution is to replace the driver's seat with an air ride seat. I bought a set of used ones off Ebay. They are the short versions. Tall ones (base) are too high for the Deuce and take a lot to modify! THe short ones require about 2" tall base to fit perfect. I used the filler base as an adapter so I could reuse the existing bolt hole in the floor to attach the seats. very simple design. it looked the the ROman numeral 2 (II). I have a detail of the install in my thread of my M109 restore.

The air ride seats are much more comfy and I fit much better behind the steering wheel.

Unless your arms are as strong as those legs I would not install a smaller steering wheel in a Deuce. You need every inch of that wheel for steering.

Attachments

heavy_308

thank you

I would like to thank you all...and I will find a way to make it work....I do worry about so much small stuff....

I laid out under it for an hour today....just looking over every connection, hose, tube, pin, bolt head or exposed thread.....

I had already surmised the thinning of the seat, the lowering of the seat....and installing a smaller wheel.....it is a 5 ton with power steering, so the diameter isn't terribly crucial.

thank you for keeping fat jokes to minimum....I know I am big...and I am working on it.... I need all the support I can get. I just love food...real food

pmramsey

Soultion

OK....I know I am big S.O.B., but come on....I am 6' 2+" tall and 300 plus....
I am trying so dang hard, but I am not seeing how I am gonna be able to drive that M52A2 I am trying to buy...

Are there any suggestions...moving steering column up....smaller steering wheel....thinner seat back...

I know, I know....before someone states the obvious....yes, lose some weight...I am, but I still have to contend with 31" quads ( I leg pressed well over 1450 in high school)...I was broken hearted when I climbed into her today...she needs some work but I am so in love with her. stupid I know....but she's cute.
I have one word for you, Vasoline. :wink: There was some guy in the classifieds last month that had 1500 lbs of it for sale. Seriously, have you considered a 900 series MV?

heavy_308

I have considered many other trucks....but the timing, available funds and the magic price of this truck.....not to mention the fact that we just look cute together..lol

The truck will (most likely) never haul a load and will be used for the sheer enjoyment of puttering around the countryside....

I have a bug-out rig of sorts...this old girl will just be for grins....I am already considering a 6v92TT/super 10 replacement mill....for whenever the multi-fuel gets tired.... not to offend purists....but it is a toy.

goldneagle

Nice seat mod goldneagle. Is there just short or tall air rides ? Looks like the future for my M817
Check the listings of semipartsman on Ebay. They part out trucks and sell the parts on Ebay. Their prices on seats are great and they get really cheap shipping quotes. Look for air ride seats that have short bases.

G-Force

I would like to thank you all...and I will find a way to make it work....I do worry about so much small stuff....

I laid out under it for an hour today....just looking over every connection, hose, tube, pin, bolt head or exposed thread.....

I had already surmised the thinning of the seat, the lowering of the seat....and installing a smaller wheel.....it is a 5 ton with power steering, so the diameter isn't terribly crucial.

thank you for keeping fat jokes to minimum....I know I am big...and I am working on it.... I need all the support I can get. I just love food...real food

FAT JOKES FROM THESE GUYS....roflrofl

That's like the POT calling the KETTLE BLACK...roflrofl

OH yeah.......nopics

Rattlewagon

I am already considering a 6v92TT/super 10 replacement mill....for whenever the multi-fuel gets tired.... not to offend purists....but it is a toy.
OOOOOOH! I can't wait for that re-power!! I go for all things Detroit!

those things make a song like mama used to sing!

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Real food" Herein lies the problem. Try switching to plastic food like you see in the Chinese restaurants. :wink: Looks the same but just doesn't taste quite as good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks