• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I have joined the Goat herd

combat32

Getting more of the crappy brown paint removed, I really don't want to sandblast this truck so scraping it with a razor knife, comes off pretty easy just a time consuming task. Besides the red is good paint and stuck on good will make good primer.

Attachments

combat32

The work goes on, and never seems to end. My list of whats left to to do seems to grow every day. Today is tank cleaning day the pressure washer seems to do a really good job. I got my crossover pipe capped off as I am only gonna run on the dvr side tank. Wanted to cap off the crossover as I don't plan any amphibious operations, but some fording could be in my future.

And I picked up a load of vic 1 gear the other day, this is for sincgars but will suit my purpose as I am only looking for intercom/hearing protection.

Attachments

combat32

So, now time to take out the steering gearbox, and either rebuild or replace, I am looking at both options. It wasn't as horrible a job as I thought. I found it a bit easier to reach everything by removing the dvr side front wheel.

Attachments

Last edited:

combat32

Good news, just got a call back from Red River, they have both parts of the rebuild kit in stock

Bearing and seal kit steering gear NSN 2330-00-880-4109

Parts kit steering gear NSN 2530-00-880-4112

Gonna be under 100 dolars delivered, as far as I know this kit is the same for front and rear steering gear, if you have priced a NOS stock steering gear lately you will appreciate this price.

Gamagoat1

Good news, just got a call back from Red River, they have both parts of the rebuild kit in stock

Bearing and seal kit steering gear NSN 2330-00-880-4109

Parts kit steering gear NSN 2530-00-880-4112

Gonna be under 100 dolars delivered, as far as I know this kit is the same for front and rear steering gear, if you have priced a NOS stock steering gear lately you will appreciate this price.
Can you share a contact number for Red River? Please!

combat32

Ask for Blake, be advised he is a busy guy, might take a couple of days for him to get back to you, forget e-mail, i just keep calling back, or leave messages on his phone.

To speed things along have your nsn or part numbers already on hand when you call.

Good number above or use 2227, last 4,

Last edited:

combat32

More scraping of paint, sanding, repeat, repeat and repeat. I did find the only original markings left on this truck. I guess they got lazy when they were sandblasting down toward the bottom of the truck.

Also this is my truck's birth month, delivered 06/71, not too shabby for a 47 year old gal.

Attachments

combat32

Finally got my steering wheel off the old column, it was a titanic struggle. I have a military steering wheel puller but the top of the shaft was rusty so it just collapsed in. So I wound up using a sawzall, dremel, and a big bolt and nut to hammer out the stub.

It's in decent enough shape, little bit of epoxy and paint and should be good to go.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks